Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Update Post Surgery

>

Seaturtle08

Update Post Surgery
Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 PM

I'm still in the hospital. The attending Dr wanted to keep me 24 hours to make sure that I can keep down solid foods and stay hydrated without the iv fluids (haven't eaten anything solid in a week and have been on iv fluids since Saturday). So, I'll get to go home tomorrow morning.

As far as what they found during surgery: They took the appendix out and did find some little signs of chronic inflammation, so we have to wait for pathology on that. No signs of endometriosis, small amount of scar tissue from my gallbladder surgery, which they removed, but nothing major.

I'm in a fair amount of pain, and they're not giving me anything good for it (seriously, Tylenol every 6 hrs and an anti inflamatory every 8...not good enough!!!!) but I'm going to ask for something to help me sleep tonight.

Surgeon said that with the physical nature of my job, I can't return to work for a month...I'm really worried about losing my job. HR has been on my case since October, denied my fmla, and has already threatened to fire me. They called me on Tuesday shortly after I found out I'd be having surgery and were talking about how I'm awol (really! I had put in for a sub each day and spoken to both my principal and asst principal on mon/tues!), demanding a letter from my doctor within 24 hours (he wrote a good one for me ), and talking about how we'll be having another meeting once I return to work...seriously considering looking for a new job to start in January and trying to decide if it would be better to get fired (fairly easy to explain to a potential employer- I was having a medical issue and needed leave time for care and they refused to grant me leave; the medical issue has been resolved; plus my union would probably sue for wrongful termination...) or to quit if they give me the option (potential for them to go after my credentials for breaking my contract, but I wouldn't have to tell future employers I got fired...). I just don't know...

My grandparents are coming back here in the morning to take me home and my grandma is going to help me clean my apartment, cause my mom flies in tomorrow afternoon (and my apartment is a disaster!!!). They'll pick her up from the airport as well. We'll leave for Texas on Saturday morning (yes, dr have given the okay for me to travel, since I won't be driving) as I had planned!

Seaturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 12-15-2016, 06:35 PM

Whew! You've had a tough year! Hope things work out with your district.....
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-15-2016, 08:49 PM

As someone who is also in the hospital, I can commiserate!

You have been through the wringer! I am mad for you that your district is acting like they are! Isn't that illegal?!?! To have that additional stress must be terrible! I am so sorry!

Please keep us informed and I hope things work out for you with your district.

Mine is very supportive right now. I don't foresee that changing. Knock on wood...
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-16-2016, 07:58 PM

I am so glad the surgery is over and you are on the road to recovery. Why in the world are they not giving you more for pain though? That seems cruel to me.

As for the threat to fire you, I do not think that is legal if you have medical problems. I would seriously talk with an attorney. You just had surgery for goodness sakes. That is ridiculous!

I hope you recover quickly!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote