Help

BusyBoard

Quitting/getting fired mid-year

>

Seaturtle08

Quitting/getting fired mid-year
Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's a very very long story, but as my school heads back tomorrow from break, I'm still on medical leave after surgery just before break. Except that my medical leave has been denied by HR and they were already talking about termination proceedings prior to the latest flare and urgent surgery (was already hospitalized, surgeon saw me on a Tues, surgery done on Wed).
Honestly, at this point, I don't even want to go back- I'm just so done with them- and have applied for other jobs (mostly preschool positions) in the area. I just need something for 6 months until my lease is up and I move at the end of June.

Does anyone have any experience with resigning mid school year? Or getting terminated mid-year?

I would have an explanation for being terminated: I was having a medical issue that has since been resolved, but was denied leave for the time I needed to take off for treatment. I chose to move forward rather than fight it, to minimize the instability for my students. But how could I word a mid-year resignation to future employers?

Seaturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I woul think you could cite medical reasons beyond your control. Is there any way you can be approved for a medical disability and receive state or federal government funding?
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 01-03-2017, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Honestly, I don't see how it is legal for them to deny you FMLA/medical leave, what have you! I am angry for you.

From the sounds of it, they've hassled you all along...

I don't blame you for wanting to be done with them.

It might be worth it to look into what coopsgrammy said---medical disability.

I'm sorry you have this additional stress! I'm sure it is doing nothing to help you heal!

Keep us posted!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Union? Private School? Public School?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have a union?

Do you work for a private or public school? (I am thinking different types of schools have different rules for medical leave.)

If you have a union, I would be contacting the lawyer at the union office to find out your rights.

Otherwise, I would be contacting your state's Department of Education to find out your rights.

I would also check your contract to find out how to apply for medical disability.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote