Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What's in your corner hutch?

>

twin2

What's in your corner hutch?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 AM

It seems that hutches are becoming dated, but I don't want to part with mine. It is a family heirloom. We actually did part with it for years, but took it back when the relative decided she no longer wanted it. Back then, I had my crystal pieces in there from my wedding, and some China dishes. I lost some pieces that got broke after I took them out of the hutch, and I gave lots of things from my kitchen away. Now I have had this hutch back for years and my husband has been faithful to fill it with photos, important papers, keys. I have added a crock given to me when I left my job, a stapler, Christmas ribbon and scotch tape. This stuff has to go. I want my hutch to be more than a junk collector.

I am debating what to put in this hutch. I have a set of dishes in my cabinet that I love. There are enough extra pieces to have a small group of people join us for a meal, but I don't have enough pieces for all of my children and grandchildren to join us. I could get a large set of dishes to keep in the hutch for such times (we try to gather once every month, sometimes every other month). We have been using disposable dishes for our gatherings and that has been very convenient. I just don't know if I can justify buying another set of dishes, though this is what I picture in that hutch.

What is in your hutch? Should I start a collection instead? What would I collect? Whatever I decide, I want it kitchen related, and I want to do it soon.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-11-2017, 04:56 AM

I don't think I would buy china to put in it unless that is something you really want.

Personally, I have a ton of knick knacky stuff I could fill it up with already, without starting a collection. I would move the stuff I don't want to dust (everything) but don't want to get rid of into the hutch and arrange it in a visibly pleasing way.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

RE:Hutch
Old 10-11-2017, 04:56 AM

My "hutch" is actually an county doctor's instrument cabinet that belonged to the old doctor that delivered my mother in 1916. It is a trapezoid-glass on three sides and top with a drawer in the bottom. It was always in my grandmothers house. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in our house, so sadly it has spent many years in the basement. It houses my wedding china that I never use and fancy serving dishes that we use on some special occasions.

I also have mom's writing desk that has three drawers on the bottom, a pull down desk and then a glass front cabinet with shelves. Sometimes I display my teacup collection, changing it out for my Christmas bells, and right now it is housing my Mary Engelbreit collectibles, framed pictures of my grandchildren, and a few other things that make me happy. It needs dusting as does my entire house.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Hutch contents
Old 10-11-2017, 05:39 AM

Ours is solid cherry made from trees from our family's farm. It's beautiful, but man, it's heavy!

I have my grandmother's China (given to us by my grandfather for our wedding), a snow globe from our honeymoon that I don't want broken, and my collection of hand blown limited Christmas ornaments that my MIL's sorority sells each year.

I definitely wouldn't buy an extra set of dishes that I'd only use periodically and then have to dust. Especially since there is very little interest in selling China. There's simply no market. My grandmother has a ton of Candlewick pieces that buyers want, but won't pay more than a dollar or so per piece. (They'll sell it for 10 times that if/when they find a seller.) No thanks, we'll keep it and love it and if something breaks, I won't feel as guilty as if it were a priceless heirloom.

This is one thing I absolutely relate to millennials on...I don't want more "stuff."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...804_story.html
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

I have my Mom's
Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 AM

china in ours because it's pretty and sentimental to me. However, when DS was really little and liked opening/closing the doors a bit too much - I packed up the china and used it to store arts and crafts supplies. It wasn't as pretty as the china display, but it was great storage! I've seen people use them for board game storage, folded quilts, everyday dishes (yay for freeing up space in the kitchen), etc...

PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 AM

Look on Pinterest for many wonderful ideas on how to decorate a corner hutch. I think its important not to overload the shelves and to put some variety in the type of decorations. Pinterest is a great resource!
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

cpbirch

Hutch
Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 AM

I love my hutch (even if it is dated). I decorate it each month with seasonal/holiday decorations. I have many of my mom/mom-in law's decorations that bering back happy memories.
cpbirch is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Hutch
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM

I have current possession of the family hutch. My great grandmother was born in 1886 and it was handmade by her father, for his bride, we're estimating between 1880 and 1890. I don't have room for it in my small dining room space so it is currently crowded into a spare bedroom. I don't really have things in it for display, but it has things from my parents, my grandmother's Bible, and some things that had been stored in it in boxes.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by KeyKid; 10-11-2017 at 12:08 PM..
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Hutch
Old 10-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Here is the same hutch - 2 pictures - from the early 1970s when it was at my great grandmother's house. Such memories...
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I have a hutch
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 PM

I keep my table cloths, napkins, napkin rings and some holiday table decorations in mine.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-11-2017, 01:35 PM

Keykid, that is beautiful!

I don't have a hutch. I have a glass curio cabinet. I keep my china, crystal (several family heirlooms and wedding gifts), and a few other special pieces (like my great-grandmother's embroidered handkerchief that I carried in my wedding).

My mom's hutch has solid doors. She keeps seasonal dishes and special serving dishes in it (she is/was quite the hostess and has a bunch of stuff) and she keeps table linens in the drawers.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I love my hutch.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:35 PM

My hutch has my mom's china in the bottom but the top has my collection of pottery and family photos and plants. It is one of my favorite pieces of furniture. It belonged to my parents and I love seeing it every day. I don't care if they are out of style, it is the things and people we love that make a house a home.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Oak. Came from a Sears scratch n' dent about 32 years ago. Wedding China from 33 years ago that gets used about once a year. Wine glasses get used more often . Ceramic alligator wedding present on the floor from my late grandfather....no idea why he gave us that!! Flag on top from my father in law's funeral. He was in the navy for a few years when quite young. (Pics of my twins in K who just graduated from college last May )
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Hutch
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 PM

I have 2. One is my grandmother's formal oak China cabinet. I keep my China dishes in there. And yes we use them. I also decorate it seasonally. I have a set of cheap better homes and gardens dishes that have fall colors in there now. I will switch out my Christmas dishes soon.

I also have an antique white farmhouse hutch. In there I have our black cast irons on display. On the counter I have our farm eggs and garden vegetables. I also store my mason jars, canned jelly and crock pot in there.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote