I am DONE with zero parent participation! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

I am DONE with zero parent participation!

>

Kinderkr4zy

I am DONE with zero parent participation!
Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ready for a rant, well here it goes!

I have had it with disinterested parents who cant freakin' be bothered to participate in their child's education. I work in a well off area-not title one. I cannot afford to live where I work. Many of the moms are stay at home moms. SO WHY IN THE HELL ARE THEY SO DISINTERESTED IN THEIR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION! This is their only job! But No they would rather hang out and gossip with the other moms, sometimes in the school office for hours after school has started, drinking coffee in their yoga pants.

I have never had a room mom since I came this school. That's 3 years without a parent helper. I have zero volunteers and most cant be bothered to help their kids do homework or make sure that they do it on their own. I have had conference sign ups out since before school even started. They are all online as google docs and every person has a computer at home and a phone that is online and all have said email is the ideal means of contact so this is just plain old my-give-a-damn-is-busted syndrome. I cant make these people care enough to actually do anything. I have sent 7 emails asking parents to sign up for parent teacher conferences. They are next week. I have 5/25 kids still not signed up and they ALL have stay at home moms.

We have a school carnival on Friday and of the 8 time slots that need to be filled by parent volunteers I have 7 open. I now get to spend my Friday from 6:00-8:15 pm running this stupid carnival booth because no one will help. My son just had major reconstructive surgery yesterday with plates, screws and many staples and I can't even go home and take care of him because I have to work 12.5 hours on Friday because the parents are disinterested in helping out.

I have HAD IT

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-24-2018, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have no parent help can't you close down the booth? Let P know you need to go home to be with your son because of his surgery he needs your care.

I am sorry these parents are not involved.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 10-25-2018, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If 5/25 can't come, schedule a phone conference. At my school GETTING 5/25 is a high number. As a parent, I hate conferences. I'm in touch with the teacher so there's never anything new to share, and getting childcare is a pain.

Carnival: Dear Principal, I have tried but failed via phone, email, note, Google Doc, and in-person request to find more than 1 parent to volunteer on Saturday, and my son just had major reconstructive surgery yesterday with plates, screws and many staples so I can't stay the whole time - Someone has to be home with him. I am going to have to shutter our booth this year. I know this is an important part of our school community and I hate to do it. Hopefully there will be more volunteers and less surgery next time!

I've never had a room mom. There haven't been any in more than a decade across three schools in two states. What would I have them do?

I wonder if your stress level is a result of the situation with your son making everything feel bigger and more overwhelming? I hope he recovers quickly and well. I'm sorry that you feel so frustrated.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-25-2018, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That’s really a sad state of affairs for parents of such young children to be totally disinterested. Is this common with parents at your school as a whole?

Sad that no one wants to help as room parent. If a few volunteered they could share the work. I taught at a Title 1 school and often had 2 room parents and many parents who volunteered to help with various functions, parties, and field trips. Some years better than others but never had no one want to help.

I agree with making an attempt to set up a phone conference with the parents who have not signed up yet. Send out one email to schedule a time. If they don’t respond, just call them when you have time and tell them you are calling for a phone conference. If they brush you off, document it with your documentation of all attempts to set one up. You can’t force them into a conference, but I get your frustration.

Speaking of parents not involved and not wanting to be bothered- A friend who taught 1st grade told me of a note she once got from a parent. The parent complained about spending 10-15 minutes a night reading at home with their child. Teachers sent home these little books for the kids to read with their parents. This parent wrote that she didn’t have the time to do that. Geeesh.

Sorry to hear about your son’s surgery and your problem with Friday. Hope your son is doing good and has a speedy recovery.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 10-25-2018, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would also send an email to parents about your situation on Friday. Tell them that if slots are not filled, you will have to close the booth. Tell them you are unable to stay late because of your situation at home.

How frustrating for you!

k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-25-2018, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Going to echo LastMinute.

No way, no how, would I cover a game booth (not even in that situation). Close the booth due to lack of volunteers!.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Cancel the booth
Old 10-25-2018, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Absolutely close the booth due to lack of volunteers...and say so! Maybe the parents will learn that if they want nice events, they have to participate.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Close the booth, stay with your son. Done.

As for conferences, if parents donít show up, theyíre welcome to reschedule but I donít chase them. I send my 3 required (and usually more) notifications and I move on. Itís the kids that suffer their disinterest.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 10-25-2018, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Put a sign on the booth that states (in a kind way) why it's closed. If people want that booth to be up & running, they'll make it happen--or it will stay closed.

My vote goes for you being home with your child. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Wow...
Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my district, room moms are assigned by the PTO. They have the headache of filling the slots for each class. They also handle library volunteers, our rt appreciation program Meet the Masters volunteers and other school-wide things that involve the class. We put out our conference signups at Back-to-School Night. Most parents attend the Night and sign up then. For the others, I assign them a time, they return a tear-off slip and they can offer alternative times if those don't work. I like the phone conference idea, but if they do not indicate their availability, you offered. You can't control whether they respond. As for the carnival, unless you are contracted to be there, I would tell the principal you are unavailable that night, have received no takers to man the booth, and throw the situation into his lap. I would not be there working it, especially with a son who needs you. While being present at these things can show support for the school, your place should rightfully be with your son, and no one should fault you for that. There seems to be a general increase in un-involved parents in my district. We have fewer stay at home parents than we used to , and the past few years my room moms had other jobs, and even chaperoning on field trip became a negotiation. I was rarely fortunate to get a mom active in the PTO like some of my colleagues, and my students never seemed to have parents who came in and did crafts, cultural celebrations or other "extras" like some of the other classes. It is infuriating, but you are doing the best you can with what you have.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Nope
Old 10-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Say no to running the booth, and take care of your son. It doesn't matter that there is no one to help. Your son needs you, and you are not obligated to donate non contractual hours to your school.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

BerthaInAttic

F that booth.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Agree with other posters - say itís canceled. Prediction: parents magically ďjust got the request!Ē Minutes after you send the announcement.

Our PTO is sucking right now too. All of the good parents moved up to the HS and we got the duds. Weíve had to cancel several events that are considered staples of the year because they couldnít get their act together.
BerthaInAttic is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm sorry! That all sounds so stressful.

I have never had parent help, but I've always taught in low income schools. I never even heard of a room parent until PT (and some recent tv shows)

Definitely send an email and explain that the booth cannot run with only one parwnt volunteer. I have to get parent volunteers for another school activity and it's always my hail Mary requests that finally get people moving. Your priority is your son.

If your not sorry, be clear and strong in your requests. Sometimes we ask too nicely and people don't really pay attention. The good news is that the lack of involvement probably means no one has issues with you!

I'm so sorry. I hope your son's recovery is smooth.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That is very frustrating and so unfair.

You got a great ďsample emailĒ to share with admin. No one can deny that!

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Take care of your son and yourself-thatís whatís important!
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 10-25-2018, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree with what HoHumBeachBum said. You absolutely should NOT have the booth open and you should state why. Without that sign, the learning curve for the parents won't happen because they won't know why the booth is closed.
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Good advice from all the posters above. I would just add that when I need to request help, a phone call is a hundred times more effective than an email or a note. Sending out a note or a mass email only makes all the parents think some other parent will step up. It's harder to say no to a personal phone call. And honestly, I'm guilty, too. When a request for volunteers goes out at church, and it's just an announcement or in the bulletin, I'm not very likely to speak up. But if someone called me personally, I wouldn't hesitate.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-26-2018, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I hear you and agree with the others. Take emotion out of it if you can and simply state there are no volunteers so the booth is closed. I put signs on my doors and if the slots are not taken then the kids do not get whatever it was we were asking for. Parents get it pretty quickly when their kid comes home with " we didn't have cookies or juice at the party because no one volunteered." Put a sign on the door listing who has signed up for conferencing. . We mail report cards several weeks after conference periods for those who didn't show up .
I have a sign up sheet on the outside of my door right now for a Harvest celebration . All slots are full. The parents know I will not do it if they do not contribute.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

okos

parents need to participate
Old 10-26-2018, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It is of utmost important for parents to be in their child or children education life.Children who have attentive and supportive parents have fewer absences, are better behaved, have more academic success and tend to go further in school than those who do not have the same parental guidance. The teacherís job will be increasingly more difficult when students do not have that extra support to help them with work load. If you try every means and ways to get their parents involve and there is still no interest showing leave them and do your part as the teacher. If you have a son that requires your attention and the parents aren't responding to attend to your son and continue doing your job a as a teacher.
okos is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 10-26-2018, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

All my students ride the bus to and from school, so a sign up sheet on the door would absolutely fail. Many parents claim not to have email (despite active social media accounts) or readily admit they donít check their email. Then there are the parents who donít set up voicemail - itís any easy way to avoid contact from school authorities and bill collectors.

I feel itís unfair to expect teachers to be able to engage parents who are so deliberately disconnected.

Parent Teacher Associations are antiquated and should be disbanded. They have simply become excuses to expect teachers to do fundraising and put on events that parents are no longer willing to do.

imatchr2

Old 10-26-2018, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I also would close the booth due to lack of volunteers. I would not mention your son. If they don't care enough for their own children to be involved, then they are not going to care about yours. Put the responsibility squarely on their shoulders. No volunteers = no booth.

Our parent associations handle all aspects of fundraising. We just show up if we want to for after school events like fun fairs or movie nights. It's definitely not mandatory.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
NPO2Teacher

NPO2Teacher

Maybe they are burnt out on volunteering.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Being a spouse of a high income earner can mean a demanding role as a community volunteer. The Boys and Girls Club, the YMCA, the Salvation Army.....etc. all want their wives to give them a high number of hours each year. When you get the husband to serve on a your board of directors (come as a job duty with your high income position), the wife is suppose to lend her hand in a number of different ways, the school is not one of these duties.

P.S. I was at a major function this week ($500 a ticket) and the stay-at-home moms were the ones organizing the charity auction ($10,000 bid for lunch with a local CEO).

Zia

Old 10-26-2018, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
Parent Teacher Associations are antiquated and should be disbanded.

Ugh, no! The one at my school is AMAZING!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I have a lot of stay at home moms too...
Old 10-26-2018, 10:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Most are stoned a lot though and do not live lavish lifestyles. Even they will chip in, buy, and send things with their kids. You can't depend on most to show up at a certain time though.
I wish I'd have seen this sooner. I'd have encouraged you to take a sick day and spend it w/ your son. Your son is much more important than a booth for entitled parents or kids.
Our own kids are more important to us than a school event.
I am not coming from a place of judgment. More a place of regret. I raised 2 kids teaching. I wish I'd have spent a lot less time at work.
I am thankful they turned out to be good people, but if I was my younger self and knew what I know now,
I'd work contract hours as much as possible. I wouldn't care about evaluations
and a lot of other stuff either.
I hope you are at home and in bed now. Also, I hope your son gets better soon!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote