Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dog Dilemma

>

twin2

Dog Dilemma
Old 10-31-2018, 03:21 AM

My husband and I Iive alone with our lab mix named Haley. Our eleven year old granddaughter comes over for about an hour every day and our other grandchildren and adult children visit often. Our dog is gentle and likes a lot of attention. She also likes to play-- a lot. As a matter of fact, her favorite ball went under the bed yesterday morning after I was dressed for work and it is very difficult for me to get up and down off the floor so I told her she would have to play with her other ball. She wanted to play with it this morning and vocalized this. I know dogs can't talk, but this one can get her point across with her doggy vocalization.

We love our dog, so much so that we tolerate her excessive dog hair all over the house and her taking over our bed nightly. I think she loves us too, but if she could talk she would probably tell you that we spoil her but we leave her everyday and when we are home we don't go outside to play fetch with her for hours on end.

I am wondering how she would do with a new friend, but we have never had dogs that were best buds, except years ago when we had two sibling dogs. We had two dogs that did not get along and we had to keep them separate. The little dog was gentle and submissive and the bigger dog bullied him. I truly was traumatized by the attacks that occurred, though the little guy was never actually hurt.

Besides a playmate, I'm thinking a second pet could be a companion for our dog she seems so sad when we leave. I know she used to sleep with a cat at her previous home, but we live in a busy development so it would have to be an indoor cat that doesn't go outside to do it's business, and I don't want a litter box.

Should we get another dog? Should it be a similar sized and temperament dog?

Forgive me if I've raised this question before. It's been on my mind for quite some time.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-31-2018, 03:44 AM

Sure, if you don't mind taking care of another dog (or cat), give her some company!

Of course, the MAIN thing is to know the other animal's temperament as much as possible to see if they'll get along. No one wants to be miserable with two animals that don't.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 10-31-2018, 04:25 AM

What about Doggy Daycare? One or two days a week would be the same price as owning a second dog without some of the care.
k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Dog
Old 10-31-2018, 04:43 AM

Take your dog with you when you look for a doggie friend. Seeing how they interact is very important.

I, too, have a lab. As a young dog, she just wanted to play all day, but I worked. She started getting a little naughty due to boredom. I adopted a cocker spaniel from a shelter. I made sure they got along with each other before full adoption. Today they are good friends. They play ball, wrestle, and spend their days together in their big outdoor kennel while I work.

I wont lie. It can be hard having two dogs. Double of everything. I dont think Id do it again, but Im close to retirement so one dog should fit my lifestyle then. Until that time, I love on my pups, who are now reaching their silver years.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-31-2018, 06:11 AM

I got my last boy Dart a playmate because dogs are pack animals who needed a friend and they basically ignored each other. They lived together and that was all.

Now, Molly and Mason live together and are a bonded pair. They don't play (mostly because Mason is the fun police ) but they love each other and I know they like having another dog around when I'm gone).

When I got Bliss I took Dart along to make sure they got along. When I got Molly (since they were littermates) I brought her home and said, "here". She licked his face, laid down and that was it.

If you do get another dog, and I always think 2 is better than one, I would totally recommend bringing your boy along to make sure they get along.

If you don't want to commit to a second dog you could always foster or do doggy daycare.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-31-2018, 06:14 AM

I would visit the shelter (if that's the route you are using) and narrow it down to a couple of dogs. The final decision is your lab's. I love having 2 dogs.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-31-2018, 08:25 AM

When our dog was 7, we got a 3 year old dog from the shelter. She was supposed to be a foster, but it was love at first sight once the dogs met. They're a happy couple, and having a lady friend has really put a lot of pep in our older dog's step.

Do take your dog along, once you have identified a few candidates. Some of the rescues around here will let you take a dog for a sleepover to see how things work out before you make the commitment.

Dogs are pack animals, so adding another canine to the human pack should work out well.

ETA: I would suggest a dog of similar size, so that a smaller one doesn't get hurt during rambunctious play.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Emptypeach

Foster a dog...
Old 10-31-2018, 12:47 PM

...and see how it goes!
Emptypeach is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-31-2018, 04:00 PM

Fostering certainly is a great idea in case things don't work out. I definitely want my dog to pick her new friend. My husband is warming up to the idea. He sees she is having a hard time adjusting to being alone. Some of you may remember her story-- her owners suddenly were unable to care for her when the husband had a severe stroke and the wife was starting chemo. She was left alone in their apartment for so long most days that they left out puppy pads, which for a lab means she was alone the majority of the time. Then one day the wife and her adult son who does not live with them, loaded her up with her crate and toys and brought her to my home. I was a stranger and she had been with them for most of her six years. Now I'm back to work and she is stressed.

Last edited by twin2; 10-31-2018 at 04:55 PM..
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 10-31-2018, 04:36 PM

Weve always had two dogs. They all have gotten along so well. I think they go their separate ways during the day when were at work. But I like knowing they are home together.

Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote