How do you not let go of the rope in the last year? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

How do you not let go of the rope in the last year?

>

LuvsPixieDust

How do you not let go of the rope in the last year?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was kind of on the fence about retiring at the end of the year, but as the first few weeks have not brought me joy, I know for sure. I prayed for signs of what to do and it feels good to have my answer. I was so excited before school started. Could not wait to try some fun ideas.

How do you keep on giving it your all when the new requirments and expectations come along?

I feel like I am living a lie. I am trying so hard to keep up and feel very overwhelmed. I am having such a hard time sleeping more than 4 hours a night. I also think my kidneys are making me feel worse right now. I felt great over the summer.

I am glad I am not a young teacher.

Thank you for your encouragement.

By the way, I still worry about evaluations and trying to make great scores. I think I might feel relieved if I told my admin earlier rather than later.

Last edited by LuvsPixieDust; 09-12-2019 at 02:36 PM..
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Think of each unit
Old 09-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in each subject as your last and smile. Think of each class party as your last and grin. Enjoy your last track and field day, your last field trips, your last assemblies... Smile politely at meetings and then when you return to your classroom just teach. You already know what you are doing.

I bet you start sleeping better after you get back into full swing with the routine.

Take care of yourself before your job so you don't get so over stressed.

I got rid of teacher resources all year as I completed units. It felt wonderful. Maybe you would enjoy doing that as well. By the end of the year my room was empty and I mean empty.

Good luck making the best of your last year of teaching.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thank you!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are a month into the year and this group of students just won't settle down. It's getting harder each year.

I have started de-hoarding my stuff. Taking the advice of others who posted on similar threads.

I should reframe my thinking and be positive.

NJ Teacher

Do the best you can...
Old 09-12-2019, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I could have written your post. My district has many new administrators and many new initiatives. By my last summer before school started, I was so overwhelmed that I did not want to go back. I felt marginalized by my principal, and was nervous about all the data and the evaluations. The fun was definitely swallowed up by all the things we had to do. It was a struggle, and I had a rough class.

I had my letter in during October. Knowing I had made my decision made me feel better. And each requirement became a series of “lasts”. That helped. I too was glad not to be a young teacher. It was very different when I started.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

forkids2

What 1956BD said
Old 09-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just retired in June and every time things got hard, I did what she said - I reminded myself: this is the last time I will ever have to do this. Sometimes thinking of that I could even smile about whatever it was, and it helped me get through a lot. I hope it works for you. Don't let the stress ruin your health and your last year, it's not worth it.

forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thank you, NJ.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have new administration. I really do like them and the way our school is headed at our building level, but we have new directives that the entire district is starting.

I really, really wanted this to be the best year ever. I am 48 and year 28 has been the target for my DH and me for many years. I am there at it feels scary and odd. I will need something part time, but I think that is falling into place, too.

LuvsPixieDust

forkids2, thank you
Old 09-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It has been consuming me. Maybe tomorrow with bring a new day and a new attitude!

LaFish

Hang in there!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You got a lot of good advice from pp. Do check out all requirements for retirement-age, years of service, etc.
My team knew at the beginning of the year that I was going to retire. I waited until October to tell my admin. It felt so wonderful-knowing that this was going to be the last pumpkin patch field trip, the last year Open House meeting, etc.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 09-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Let go of the expectations and do what you know to be the right thing for your students. Let go of any evaluation and visualize that one picture of you not caring on a Sunday Night. Smile and be positive but do not take on any more worries.

Last edited by anna; 09-12-2019 at 04:57 PM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Y'all are the best!!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you so much for the encouraging words.

I have reached the years for the good benefits for Mississippi retirement. I could have retired 2 years ago, but I needed the 28. I will have enough at Christmas, but I would not feel right about that unless I have a medical emergency.

wildflowerz

Old 09-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
How do you keep on giving it your all when the new requirments and expectations come along?
The beauty of retiring is that you don’t have to keep up with any of it!

I was unsure of when to tell my admin. I ended up doing it sooner than I had planned because by giving my notice I was able to save someone from being transferred.

Something magical happened when I gave my notice. There was a shift in my brain about what was important. I was freed from the pressure and all of the b.s. Everyone scrambled to get their data for our student learning objectives. Not me. I didn’t do it. The superintendent sent out a 15 min. survey. No thank you, my 15 min. is better spent on helping my students. We had monthly ‘optional’ professional development where attendance was taken. Sorry, I need my time to set up for math.

My P was happy to know because it made my last observation easier. He saw min the hall and said, “I need to observe you by the end of the month.”

I asked, “Should I set up a time for a pre-observation meeting.”

He said, “No, this was the meeting. Don’t worry about anything. Just give me a date and we’ll get it over with.” He was laid back about the whole thing. It was great.

When you make the decision and give your notice, you become free to be the teacher you want to be. It could be your best teaching of your career.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Don’t feel bad about going out mid year. That’s what I did. We had a wonderful sub who was ready to step in and take over. She was able to gain the classroom experience she needed to give her an upper hand over other subs. I also let her take anything she wanted of my personal things. She got a contract this year and was able to set up a complete classroom library, had extra book cases, and every container needed to organize a room.

Three of my friends also went midyear. Their schools also had fantastic subs ready to step in.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thank you, Wildflowers
Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Some teachers don't say anything until around spring break. I don't think I can keep my mouth shut that long!!

anna

Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I went out mid year too and the prince was happy because he had more say in who would take the permanent spot eventually. He hand picked a great sub who stayed with me for a few weeks. I really enjoyed working with her and left her most of my things in trade for her cleaning out the room at the end of the year. She was not guaranteed a permanent spot at the school but did get another spot in the district. The students were told what was going to happen and I visited often during the last half of the year. My leaving went very well.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Last year
Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I concur with the previous posters' comments.

You should NOT be stressing during your last year. I was one who celebrated those "Lasts." It was lifting to be able to take those smaller activities - especially the onerous ones - and know that I would never have to deal with them again. I was not one who could count down the days as it seemed to make the year go on even longer.

If you like your present administration, you may consider telling them early. I'm sure they would appreciate it, and may perhaps cut you some slack on those pressure points to which you refer. A very good friend did that last year - she told the superintendent (we are a very small district) and her principal in October, but asked them to keep it to themselves for she was not yet at the point to receive comments from co-workers and others. They respected her wishes and she informed others in February, when SHE was ready to tell people.

Actually, my principal was happy I told her before evaluation time - she gave me a "bye" on my last evaluation and it was one less she had to do! A win-win! I happily spent inservice days cleaning out filing cabinets and decluttering my room.

I also had a fulfilling year focusing on THE KIDS instead of all the directives trickling down from above. I pulled out some of my favorite units and activities that I hadn't been able to utilize for one reason or another. We had a grand year.

When I expressed concern that I was slacking in what was expected (especially regarding all those aforementioned directives), my husband put it in perspective: "What are they going to do? Fire you?!"

Find your new normal this year. Do what you feel would lessen your stress and worries. You deserve to have a great last year serving your students.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am having a MUCH better day today.

Thank you!

yellowflowers

Mid-year
Old 09-13-2019, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I also went out mid-year. Did not think another thing about it and walked out with just my purse. The new teacher was thrilled to get all my stuff. Win-win!
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Keep telling your class," You're the best first last class." Your students will think they are so special. Then, shut your door & do what's right for kids. They can't fire you.
jjwires is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

And thanks again!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Y'all are making me feel so much better. DH thinks I should wait a while longer to tell anyone I am retiring.

So for now... I will keep on trucking like I always have.

I will discreetly purge my closet, cabinets and files.

I do have a sweet group of students.
Guest19

Guest19

Just relax
Old 09-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have decided that the next school year will be my last. I could have retired two years ago and cleaned out my closets already except for what I still need. For some reason I thought I would miss teaching and stayed on. If this is your last year, just enjoy it. Now that I have made up my mind, things don't get to me as much any more. I don't know how I will feel next year because every time I think of retiring, something is pulling me back. I do think I would be even more motivated knowing this stage of my life would be over soon. If you know for sure, just tell administration. In my district teachers who announced their retirement don't even get evaluated any more.

ThankaTchr

I retired mid-year and
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

my DH put it in perspective, too! And it turned out I had so much STUFF that mid-year was perfect for me! For the sake of the kids and continuity, I left most of my things I could live without. My sub came in and worked with me for a few days and she was so grateful for all things (especially the library)
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Guest19
Old 09-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Thank you. If I could make myself not worry about stuff and enjoy it would help. I am still trying hard to the best teacher I can be.

LuvsPixieDust

ThankaTchr
Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I bet my sub would not be happy with the VHS tapes I still have in my closet! They were EXPENSIVE!!

Another thing.... those school issued trash bags..... are too thin to hold a notebook without ripping. I am having to track down the good cafeteria bags and bring mine from home.