Retired Teachers

ThankaTchr about skimmers

>

jov

ThankaTchr about skimmers
Old 09-20-2019, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Quote:
not sure if I know what "gas skimmers" are, but Coopsgrammy made me think. Can you explain more so I am not an unsuspecting victim? I use my credit card at the pump all the time!

I'm answering your question from a post down below. Didn't want it to get lost.

A skimmer is a device that scammers insert into the credit card slot at ATMs, gas pumps, retail store card readers, etc. It reads the numbers on the magnetic strip on your card. There might also be a hidden camera watching you key in your PIN for debit cards. Then the bad guys use your info to buy things online or create new cards with your numbers. Gas pumps are particularly vulnerable because nobody is really watching closely.

When putting my card in any slot, I always visually inspect the slot and wiggle it to see if there are any loose parts.

jov is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

skimmer
Old 09-20-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A gas station near my house had a skimmer on one of their pumps on several occasions. Several of my neighbors learned about it after there were odd purchases on their cards. They alerted the police as well as the gas station (Shell), but the gas station people just shrugged if off as "it happens." They did have their gas pumps checked and presumably the skimmer was removed. Several months later it happened again. There was a long thread on my NextDoor about it, and I'm sure people started avoiding that gas station. I hope the gas station has installed cameras for security.

A while back I was in Croatia and I wanted to get money out of an ATM outside a convenience store in a small town. I wiggled the receiver slot, and it came loose into my hand. Definitely a skimmer. I handed it to the store clerk but don't know what came of it.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Yes...
Old 09-21-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had this happen to me in Wisconsin in early March.

I used my gas credit card. Ten days later, Exxon Mobil called to tell me there were five charges on my card made in Texas over five days. Each one was for gas amounting to $95 each day. It took until August to investigate and to finally settle everything.

Meanwhile, the charge of $25 for non-payment each month and service charges were adding up. On my sixth phone call to Exxon Mobil, I finally asked for the telephone number for the office that investigates such things. That was when I finally got satisfaction that everything was going to be taken care of by them.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Our banker suggested
Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

we have a small separate bank account with its own debit card for use in gas stations, grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. We keep it funded with automatic transfers, but it doesn't connect to our main bank account where our deposits go.

If someone is able to skim the card, we won't be at risk of losing a large sum. It's been worth if for the peace of mind. We call it our travel card and use it especially when away from our local area. Not that local is more safe.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

to everyone for the replies!! A "travel card" is a good idea!

ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote