Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Senior dog concerns

>

Readingal

Senior dog concerns
Old 10-23-2019, 06:34 PM

We have a beautiful English Mastiff. He is 8 years old. 165 pounds. (Life expectancy is 6-9 years.) He has arthritis and is on medication for it. On Monday he took a big turn for the worse. Hardly able to walk, knuckling on both front paws. We took him to the vet on Tuesday very concerned that we would need to put him down. The vet never mentioned putting him down. Instead gave us an additional medication to try. We were thrilled.

Sadly, today heís walking even worse and barely even trying to walk. The new medication says wobbling and lethargy are common side effects. It is heartbreaking to see him like this. I think I need to call the vet tomorrow and explain the side effects weíre seeing. Itís extremely difficult to get him in and out of the car at this stage to get him to the vet. And I think itís painful for him.

Iím so sad. I was hoping weíd see a radical improvement. Heís only had three doses of the new med so maybe tomorrow will be better. I think this is preparing me to say goodbye to him.

Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-23-2019, 07:12 PM

I'm sorry your doggy is going through this. Maybe there is another medication your vet can try that won't have such bad side effects. Hope that tomorrow is better for him!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 10-24-2019, 02:54 AM

It is so hard to know what to do, or how to help our pets. I am so sorry your dog, and you, are going through this hard time. I can only imagine getting him in and out of the car, it must be next to impossible. Our older dog is 9 years old and has arthritis as well. He is a lab mix and weighs 110 lbs, my DH lifts him in and out of the car. He is on medication and sometimes needs a little extra if he over does it. There are shots that the vet said would be our next step for our dog, if/when needed. I can't remember the brand name, but maybe it would be worth asking about them. I will be thinking of you all today.
meandmyhouse is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-24-2019, 03:19 AM

Rimadyl was what my dog was on. Preferred over the generic brand. It helped him a lot.

What medicine did your vet prescribe? If it’s Tramadol that stuff is hard on older dogs. An awesome vet I know (who was my dog’s vet but my dog passed away several years ago) will not prescribe it.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-24-2019, 01:18 PM

I am sorry to hear about your dog and sending prayers for a healthy recovery.

klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Iím so sorry to hear your babyís in pain. Donít give up yet. If youíre open to trying something other than prescription meds, go to the Veterinary Secrets channel on YouTube, and enter ďCommon dog arthritis drug not effectiveĒ in the search box. Iím on my tablet (and not terribly tech smart) or Iíd put the link in for you.

Dr. Andrew Jones has a LOT of info about natural remedies for all sorts of things that donít have the side effects of prescription meds, and can be much more effective.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you and your furbaby the best. Itís difficult to watch our beloved pets age.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 10-24-2019, 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone. Heís on Galliprant for his arthritis. They added a second med for neurological pain. I donít remember the name right now. The vet thinks the new med may have been sedating him. She had us cut it down to once a day. Tonight he was better. I know itís prob short term, but Iíll enjoy every day with him. We have an appointment in December at a rehab vet that does a lot of no traditional healing. That was their first available appointment. So weíll see what happens with that. He may not be around at that point. Again, Iíll just appreciate everyday and spoil him rotten while I can.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote