Were You Physically Exhausted Before Retirement? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

Were You Physically Exhausted Before Retirement?

>

Rathgar

Were You Physically Exhausted Before Retirement?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and did this improve after retirement?

As I write I am on my 20 minute prep and I am physically exhausted. It is Thursday afternoon and I find that by mid-week I go home and nap every day late afternoon. I wonder sometimes if it is the job , the getting up at 5:50 a.m. , the lousy working conditions (I am in the "electrical closet" - no windows, very small). I have little energy to exercise.

I sometimes wonder if I have a health problem or if I'm just depressed because I am ready to stop working full time and hate getting up before sunrise!

After you retired, did you become healthier? How long did it take to feel happier, rested, possibly lose weight if needed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-14-2019, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I retired at 65 and was not physically/mentally exhausted because I loved my job, BUT I was surprised to find how much better I felt after retirement.

It took over a year, but I lost 36 lbs. I walk 5 miles every day. Itís been 3 years since retiring and I feel better than ever. I also moved and love my new home and lifestyle. I didnít expect retirement to be the miracle it is.

Hang in there. The good partís coming for you.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Exhausted
Old 11-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I was exhausted and very stressed. My blood pressure was high, I wasn't sleeping well, and dreaded going to work. This is after loving my job for over 20 years. Since I retired from teaching, I get outside and walk - improving my blood pressure and depression. I sleep better. I have lost 20 lbs. It was just time for me to be done.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 11-14-2019, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes! I had so much going on at home and at school, my brother in law had committed suicide in my home, my mother had a stroke, and I had a VERY challenging class. The only way I made it was knowing that I was going to retire. My dh wanted to travel and we left for a 4 month trip the day after my last day of school. I missed my home, my friends, and was depressed.

This summer we spent some time with our granddaughter and I discovered that I wasn’t ready to be with difficult children.

I retired in Jan and sometime in Sept. I felt happy and joyful. In October we spent 3 weeks at the beach. I knew I was doing pretty good because being home, at school, or with my friends was the furthest thing from my mind.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I loved my job and had wonderful students my final year. However, I had been working so hard for so many years that I hardly realized in what poor shape I was...no endurance, 30+ pounds overweight, in poor physical condition, high blood pressure. I thought I felt pretty good.

Itís been a few years. I have lost the excess weight and gotten in better shape. My life has had probably more stress in retirement due to family health issues...but I am better prepared to deal with it, at least.

The one thing that helped me while working was to take vitamin D3 and get some exposure to sunshine whenever possible. If I could take a 15-20 minute walk outdoors in the afternoon, that was the best help.

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Maybe a check-up
Old 11-14-2019, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When was the last time you had your blood pressure checked? Are you due for a check-up?

I found that I sleep so much better. I donít wake up early and check my to-do list at 2am.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Old 11-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My mother had cancer and a broken hip 2 years before I retired. I was so stressed out taking care of her and then I got switched grade levels at the last minute. I was waking up at 4 am every day and exhausted every evening. It took about a year after I retired before I could sleep "in" until 6 am. I still get up at 6:15 a few years later.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 11-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I retired at age 60 when I was at the top of my game. I wasnt tired or had a lack of energy. I loved teaching at my very low income school. During the first year of retirement I made several visits to my beloved school. Damn I missed that explosive energy of walking through the door to god knows what was happening. Think about an emergency room and that was what my job was like almost every morning. Invigorating and energizing!

Healthwise? After retiring I changed my lifestyle to include exercising every day, low carb and low calorie diet which resulted in losing 40lbs. Finally I had time to excercise and think about ehT I was eating. I have continued this new wY of living and havent gained it back. Life is good!
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Yes
Old 11-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was not sleeping well and my blood pressure was elevated. I got up early, tended to stay late at school, and had little time for enjoyment, even on the weekends.

Since retirement, my blood pressure has been in the normal range, I go to the gym 6 days a week, and can truly relax and enjoy life. I do not miss teaching at all and the stress associated with it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Tired...yes
Old 11-14-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I retired at 60. I absolutely loved my job and had done it for nearly 40 years, but I was finding that it was wearing me out. It seemed that I taught, ate dinner and fell asleep, only to repeat until the weekend. I felt it was time to move on and I did. I have done some part time adjunct work at a nearby university and some literacy coaching. I feel that I have much more energy. It was the right decision.

SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 11-14-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes, I was exhausted and stressed. I was very overweight and my blood sugar was out of control and did not have the time or energy to take care of myself. I retired in June and have already lost 38 pounds and my blood sugar is now normal.

I had decided I must have arthritis or something else like that because I hurt all over - joints/muscles. I was taking aspirin and Motrin every day and I have always avoided medications unless really necessary. All that is now much better too. Apparently it was the stress, exhaustion, weight, and high blood sugar that was causing it.

Yes, I definitely feel happier, rested, and healthier. You didn't say, but I hope you are close to retirement too - it sounds like you are ready and need it.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-14-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was exhausted after teaching 35 years. I swear I slept for 2 weeks. I felt much better after I retired. My friends all tell me I look so relaxed. Iíve really only kept in touch with a couple people.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

DH may tell you too!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was teaching K and when I went just one grade up my DH said I was much more relaxed. WHAT? I didn't even see it, so weigh and trust what others may tell you, because you may not recognize it yourself! I have been retired for 2 years this December and love it! (PS to JKS- I used to get up at 4am when teaching too, but now I sleep in till 7)
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Yes!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was mostly sleep deprived. I'd convinced myself that about 6 hours sleep was all I needed. Ha!!

Since throwing away my alarm clock (pulling it out only for special occasions)I sleep 8 - 9 hours a night. And slept 9 - 10 hours often during the months after retiring. I'm still a night owl, but sleep late in the mornings. We're all in thrall to our individual circadian rhythms.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 11-16-2019, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yes, it got to the point that I'd get up at 5:00 to be at work by 6:00 (we actually did not have to be in until (9:00 as student didn't arrive until 9:30). So of course I was completely worn out by early evening- had no energy to have a life.

Yes, I've felt 100% more energetic and less anxious since retiring. It is so wonderful to have enough energy to enjoy life's activities.

Interestingly enough, I started a long term sub job this last week until Christmas (don't ask me why, I felt sorry for them as they couldn't find anyone). Again, by this Thursday I almost couldn't function, I was so tired! I guess I just don't have the stamina for teaching full time anymore.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote