Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Soft high calorie foods

>

Eagle 126

Soft high calorie foods
Old 12-07-2019, 06:31 AM

My mom has been having a lot of health issues. We are trying to help her gain weight, but her jaw hurts when she chews. She has temporal arteritis, which is inflamed arteries on the sides of her head. They are treating her, so our priority is finding high calorie foods that don't require a lot of chewing. One of my sisters found something called Magic Cups, which seems to be an ice cream/pudding. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

Eagle 126 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 12-07-2019, 06:46 AM

Mashed potatoes?

Protein shakes would be good- they even make one that’s a weight gain one! My friend’s son was really skinny and a picky eater, so she would throw some in smoothies for him (and her husband used it to bulk up).
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Unfortunately, I am an expert at high calorie.

Soft cheese (spreadable?) on soft bread
Cottage cheese and banana
Cream soups
Cheese (only) lasagne
Hot chocolate with whipped cream

A friend’s son had mandibular cancer and now can’t chew. He whirls a lot of regular food in the blender or food processor, sort of make-your-own-baby-food-for-adults.

Good luck!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 12-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Ensure Enlive have about 350 calories. They are also a great source of vitamins and nutrition and 20 grams of protein. That is a hefty amount of calories for about 12 oz.

My DH drinks those when he is in his "bulking" phase.

They do contain corn syrup, soy , and milk though if there are allergies.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 12-07-2019, 07:12 AM

Ensure
Smoothies with peanut butter and/or yogurt
Tomato soup with cream
Lentil soup (can even blend the lentils)
Milkshakes

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 12-07-2019, 07:30 AM

I've had my share of dental work and oral surgery lately. Ice cream and milkshakes are good. Scrambled eggs with cheese on top have a lot of protein. I make a creamy jello that has cream cheese in it....sounds weird but it's so good. Full fat Greek yogurt. Broccoli cheddar soup that's been blended if the broccoli is too much chewing. Meatloaf involves some chewing, but not as much as other meats. My struggle was the amount of dairy a soft diet involves.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 12-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Make smoothies by use Ensure or whatever nutritional supplement works for her and frozen fruit. Put the Ensure in a blender and add frozen fruit until it is slushy. Is she likes chocolate, use frozen bananas and add chocolate syrup. Adding peanut butter to that is good too.

Check the nutritional supplement you are using. Every name brand has multiple varieties. Choose one that has 325 or more calories and look for high protein. If she wants to drink it plain without making smoothies, they do come in a variety of flavors. I think Boost has the most options, but you’ll probably have to go to a drugstore to get options like mocha or butter pecan. Boost has a pudding and Ensure has a variety of juice-like options.

Soups tend to purée well and you can find lots of options for “purée diet” by googling or searching on Pinterest. Mashed potatoes can be made with lots of different flavors by changing spices and adding different gravies. Sweet potatoes are also good. It is easy to add protein powder to puréed items.

Experiment with what feels most comfortable for her: sipping from a straw (wide or narrow, long or short), sipping from an open cup or using a spoon. If you are using reusable straws make sure everyone is super careful about cleaning. Her resistance is probably low and an infection would not be good. Consider getting a cup that will keep her food/drink hot or cold for an extended time so that she can eat slowly without the food getting to room temperature and being less appetizing.

You can also ask her doctor for a referral to a nutritionist who can help you tailor a plan to your mother’s specific needs. I hope your mother is feeling better soon!
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-07-2019, 08:33 AM

I needed high calorie at one point. I was advised to make protein drink shakes. Like high protein Boost, with added ice cream. I also used half and half or even cream on cereal or in my coffee.

You might find some suggestions by searching cystic fibrosis diets.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 12-07-2019, 09:04 AM

when i was recovering from anorexia I had a lot of smoothies with ensure, banana, greek yogurt, and peanut butter all blended together.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

food
Old 12-07-2019, 11:18 AM

When trying to feed your mother calorie-dense foods, your blender is your friend.
Any food can be blended to make it easy to eat without chewing. Rather than giving her Ensure which is very toxic and not as calorie-dense as people think, make soups with foods like sweet potato, meats, beans, nuts, quinoa, avocado, whole grains. Milk shakes mixed with peanut butter and chocolate are healthy and delicious. Smoothies with fruit, oats, avocado and nuts work well too.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 12-07-2019, 12:08 PM

Milkshakes with 0eotein powder or carnation instant breakfast.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-07-2019, 12:43 PM

My mom's doctors want her eating high-calorie foods to keep her weight up, and they told her to mix high-protein Ensure with high fat ice cream.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote