Help

Substitute Teachers

Keys!

>

mrsd5

Keys!
Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

SUBS NOW GET KEYS! I had to turn over a set of my car keys, but it is so nice to be able to use an adult bathroom, sit in the staff room for lunch, and not depend on others if we get locked out of our rooms. Because of new security measures, doors auto-close and lock. Blocking them open is forbidden, but I told the principal that if I have no students, I didnít see what the problem was. Anyway, we now have keys!

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's weird. We're supposed to block our doors open (with lock blox) so we can keep the door locked. That way if there is a lockdown we can just flip the lock blox and the door is locked. No fumbling for keys. Weird how different places do things so differently.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-11-2020, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have to do the same, bodhimom. My district uses magnets in the doorframe to keep the doors from engaging the lock, and we have to reach up and grab the magnet off the door during a lockdown drill. No keys to keep up with, but all classroom doors are interior doors, and don’t open to the outside.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-11-2020, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like it, because, as a sub I usually have 4 keys, so in a lockdown I would probably have a hard time with getting the right key. Different every time. My worst fear is a lockdown. One day they did the lockdown bell and it was a mistaken. Scared the crap out of me.

SubMan

Old 02-11-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach with the door locked but propped open and key to open on my badge. Been that way ever since the police department decided to do a lockdown drill as students were arriving. Iím not paid enough to search the room for the red binder that is supposed to be on the teacherís desk but often is not. The key is supposed to be in there.

I had just gotten to the room because I had to go to the room and find it locked, go back to the office to wait for the key (single master key). Go back to the classroom unlock the door, go back to the office to return the key, and then back to the classroom. That day I wasted the 30 minutes of ďprep timeĒ before the students arrived. The back and forthing is all because the custodian wonít unlock rooms in the morning.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am sincerely happy for you. I've never understood how some districts don't give keys out. My district has always given keys and we don't have to leave collateral. We do have to return it to get our time sheet signed at the end of the day, though.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-12-2020, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Weíve always gotten keys and have the ability to block the door open. Intruder alert/drill we just move the block out of the door and it automatically locks.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yeah...not having a key is a huge hassle (and a safety/security issue IMHO). If they trust you enough to let you teach children in public schools, they should trust you with the friggin classroom key! Seriously!

All the districts I've worked for have given subs a key for the day in exchange for the time sheet. You simply turn in your key and receive your timesheet at the end of the day.

I've also not seen a district policy about locking doors during school hours. A few schools specify their preferences, but in general, it seems to be up to the teacher. I personally prefer to keep the door locked for security reasons, especially at lunch and recess. Just one more reason why it's important to have a key!

BTW: The only time I had to leave my car keys as collateral was when I briefly subbed at a charter school. (I followed the tip I found on this forum (thank you ) and gave them keys I no longer use rather than my actual car keys!)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-12-2020 at 09:24 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So weird to me that you have to hand over car keys as collateral for a key that unlocks a room full of desks and dusty old books. They'd trust you with other people's kids without a second thought since you're credentialed enough for the job, but a metal key? Oho, no. We need collateral for that.

My school just hands the keys over, and thank god for that. I'd never give them anything of mine. So many times they've lost my timesheet paperwork and left days of labor off my paychecks because they can't even keep track of a sheet of paper, but I'm supposed to trust them with my ####ing car keys? lmao. And imagine if, at the end of the day, they gave my keys to some other sub by mistake. I bet they'd pull the same cavalier attitude they always do when they screw up in a way that impacts my livelihood. "Oh, you know... haha..."

God, it just blows me away. Congrats on getting keys. Congrats on the office letting you actually do your job. What a world we live in.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

They do have a lock box
Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They unlock it, give you a key, and place your key in the locked box. All doors MUST be locked. They have installed new locks that unlock just to open the door. You have to lock the door to remove the key. And since the doors automatically close, you are SOL if you dont remember the key.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 02-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I could not really function without keys. Are these small buildings? Do they treat you nicely at all? I wouldnít want to work for a place like that.

In one school I go to, they started locking the door to the hallway by the teacherís lounge as kids were going in it. I can never find a security guy to open it and teachers donít have the keys for it, so I just always end up eating a room temperature lunch. That is enough of a pain in the ass.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-12-2020, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Having to lock the door sounds like a pain because every time a kid went to the bathroom, someone would have to get up and let them back in. I'm sure there'd be drama, every time, too. I imagine three kids running to get to it, first, etc.

I guess the good news is that you would always have a heads up if admin came in. Even if just a few seconds.

That reminds me, the principal, a cop, and a drug dog came into my class last week. I didn't even know they did that. That made for an interesting class. Kids said they do it ever couple of months to random classes.

YayaSub

Tight Security Policies
Old 02-14-2020, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My district is one that had a school shooting two years ago. That definitely makes you think twice about safety measures. When I arrive at a classroom I look for emergency folders right away, I always think about routes of exit and options for hiding kids in an emergency. It's automatic now. Magnets to prevent the door locking are gone, doors are only open during passing periods, and only adults can open the door during class, even at the high school level. I can't send kids out in the hallway to work on group projects. We are to make sure nothing strange is going on before opening the door. Of course, the teacher's desk is usually inconveniently located for this, meaning I can't see who it is until I walk over, and it's usually a hike across the room every time there's a friggin knock on the door. We can't even evacuate immediately if there is an unplanned fire alarm. Teachers assess the hallway situation near them. If no announcement occurs after 3 minutes, then we proceed out.

One middle school locks EVERYTHING... the work rooms, adult restrooms, teacher's lounge. I just pack a cold lunch and eat in the classroom there because I don't like having to beg someone to open doors all day. Incidently, the school that experienced the event doesn't lock it down that tight.

Only elementary schools give keys. One gives them on a lanyard, and I have had to turn around at the end of the day because I walked out with the key by accident. Another school puts them on a 12" ruler, so the subs look a little silly when they are in the hallway.

Anyway, although I get frustrated by the inconvenieves I tell myself (as I often say to students) every rule has a reason it had to be put in place.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

car keys as collateral
Old 02-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've written about this before, but I got my district to end demanding car keys. I discussed this with my insurance agent and then went to the board. In requiring me to hand over my keys, the employee is accepting liability for the car and its contents on behalf of the school district.

As HR explained to a reluctant secretary at a meeting about the new policy of NOT requiring car keys, if someone claims a missing lap top the district and perhaps even the employee are on the hook for replacing it.

If they hadn't changed the policy, I planned on never returning to any school that can trust a teacher with students's well-being and not with a key. And I would tell them so.

I've been in school lock downs without a key or any way to lock the door. I remind the principal that many children shot in Newtown were in an unlocked classroom with a substitute who was also killed.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-22-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I've never understood how some districts don't give keys out. My district has always given keys and we don't have to leave collateral. We do have to return it to get our time sheet signed at the end of the day, though.
It's not about trust in my district at all. They really don't think we're going to come back and steal something! - It's just about people simply forgetting they have the key around their neck as they leave, and then there aren't enough for tomorrow's subs.

The fact that you trade yours for time sheets prevents that just as easily.

We have to leave our license instead, which I do think is silly. - I might not realize I've forgotten to trade that back until I get home, but if it's my keys, I'll remember in the parking lot! (And God forbid we have some sort of emergency evacuation and whatever collateral they take is stuck in the office. - I have spare car keys, but not a spare license!)

But I trust the secretary just as much with my stuff as I expect her to trust me with "hers". - I'm not at all worried she's going to break into my car.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
luv2teach2017
Old 02-22-2020, 11:53 AM
This message has been deleted by luv2teach2017.

bodhimom

Old 02-22-2020, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It's not that they don't trust you with the keys. They just don't want to forget, or you forget, and take the keys home. Then it could be a hassle, especially in a big district where the sub is all over the place.

They aren't accusing you of taking them so you can break into the classroom, later. They're just trying to make sure nobody forgets.

I really don't see the big deal. I know in a big district, by me, they had to rekey the entire school, one time, because a VP lost his key. It was thousands of dollars.

luv2teach2017

Old 02-22-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
But I trust the secretary just as much with my stuff as I expect her to trust me with "hers". - I'm not at all worried she's going to break into my car.
Lakeside...It's not a matter of the secretary breaking in, but of the keys getting misplaced or someone else (less reputable) possibly getting hold of the car keys.

We all probably have stories of secretaries misplacing our precious timesheets ( I know I do). I've also seen kids rumaging around in the office when the secretary wasn't around! I certainly wouldn't trust a school's office staff to take care of my car keys!

In fact, I subbed a few times at a charter school where they asked for my car keys. When I returned the classroom key, there was a different front desk person, and she didn't know where my car keys had been stashed! She had to search around to find them! After that, I just gave them a set of old keys from a car I no longer owned. They didn't know the difference, and I didn't have to worry about my keys anymore.

BTW: When subbing for school districts, I've forgotten to return a classroom key a couple of times. When I returned it, I discovered it was not even missed because the school had spares.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote