Help

The VENT

Another hole in the wall

>

mrteacherguy

Another hole in the wall
Old 03-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On Friday, as one of my classes was coming in during transitions, a student ran to the back of the room and kicked a big hole in the wall. I didn't see who it was, as I was at the door reminding students of the expectations as they came in, and my view was blocked due to the slight L shape of the room.

This was however the first time this year that I could mail one particular class to it; to date I have now had five holes punched or kicked in the wall, but don't usually find them until after the fact. Since the guilty person was in the room and I know several students saw it, I called the office to have an admin come down to my room.

My principal, assistant principal, and academic coach all came down, said nothing to the students, but pulled me aside to say that it wasn't a case where admin needed to be called and that I needed to make sure I stand where I can see the whole class and have a student hold the door. They left without saying anything to the students about it.

Am I wrong in being upset by this? I feel like they are putting the blame on me, while giving the students a pass. The way I see it, they just sent the students the message that there is no consequence for anything. Not that there were any consequences of even investigations for the previous holes put into the wall.

I posted a while back about handing in my resignation, and while that hasn't happened yet (my wife would prefer I didn't do it without something else lined up), it's things like this that show me that I can't stay.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Yes, you have a right to be upset
Old 03-01-2020, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess they donít consider damaging the school building a big deal ó all 3 of them came down and did nothing. Yes, they just gave a pass to your students, Fools. I wish you much luck in getting a new job. Sounds like a horrible place to work.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

New era
Old 03-02-2020, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like the regular occurrences last year and this year for me. Anything a student does is an opportunity for the teacher to have done something different/better. I don't even feel like an adult some days, let alone a professional. I'm sorry teaching has become this circus and that you were demeaned.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

Itís so demoralizing
Old 03-02-2020, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

when the students are literally out of control. However, this is magnified more than a hundredfold when the administration does not back up the teachers. The admin are being paid to manage and help the teachers. The OP did not do anything wrong. It is impossible to teach and watch all students at all times. Help the teacher, do not criticize or blame the teacher.

Furthermore, the administration is being paid to manage the building. How can they not care that a classroom is being vandalized repeatedly in such a manner? This was a missed opportunity to send a message that such behavior will be dealt with and no longer tolerated. I cannot get over their totally ineffective handling of this.

OP, is there any way you could set up your laptop so that it can record the students? Thatís the only idea I have.

Iím so very, very sorry that you are dealing with this.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 03-02-2020, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I do think that you have a right to be upset. The issue should have been addressed with the students since you called them down.
Admin: should they have addressed the issue with your students? Absolutely. I'm am disappointed to hear that they did not. What a nightmare for you to not get the support--destruction of school property is a problem big enough that they should be involved and it sends a bad message to the kids to see them call down and not be addressed. You see where admin stands though and clearly can't rely upon them to back you up. I don't blame you at all.
I guess I have to ask a few questions or my opinions so feel free to skip over this part if you're not in the mood for it. From the outside, it seems concerning that you've had 5 times where students have destroyed school property in a significant way in your classroom. The first four times, you did not even know it had happened until multiple classes had been through for the day. From the outside, it seems like damaging the walls like that (enough damage to leave holes, in this case big holes) wouldn't be easy to do. I would be concerned that you aren't adequately supervising them if they can do this without you noticing until later. What else is going on that you aren't seeing? I can almost guarantee that it's not just the holes in the wall.
How did you handle the other situations? Did you address it with the classes even if you weren't sure of who did it? You probably knew who was in that area of the room even if you weren't sure which of them did it. How did you change what you did based upon the first four incidents of property damage? Did you bring it up to admin then? I'd begin by having those kids enter the room last. It's absolutely essential that the students in your classes remain within your eyesight and direct supervision while in your class. If the room is set-up in such a way that allows them out of your eyesight, then you'll need to change something to make sure you can see them and they can see you. Being at the door---how long are you there? You mention that you're there reminding students of their expectations. But some of them were in the room already? And it sounds like the students in the room were ones who needed to hear the expectations.
What's the larger discipline situation like at your school?
Again, feel free to ignore the questions: you've got a challenging group of kids and little support. On the other hand, it sounds like you could change things to hopefully keep a better eye on them.

cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-02-2020, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, it is totally wrong that your admin ignored this. I can't imagine having students do that much damage in the short time you are greeting students. Maybe from now on have them line up outside and talk to them outside the room about expectations. Then position yourself so you can see the whole room when they start entering. I assume you have bell work for them to do every day. Walk around and make sure they are seated and getting started so there is no time for fooling around. I would be walking around constantly with that history of misbehavior. A camera might not be a bad idea, too.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

Good grief!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How ridiculous of them! EVEN IF it was not an admin worthy call, (which it was IMO-destruction of property) once they were there in the room, it was crazy to not go ahead and help you deal with it.
whatever is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 03-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am surprised that admin isn't more concerned with such behavior. I see it as violent behavior. Not to mention the cost to repair the damage is coming out of the budget, and I'm sure it won't be cheap. I don't blame your DW wanting you to have a new position lined up before resigning. I hope that works out for you.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote