Help

Substitute Teachers

Being blacklisted.

>

Bobbies

Being blacklisted.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Who is responsible for banning a sub? The teacher, secretary, or Principal? Who makes the ultimate decision? When I got a ban notice, it was not filled out at all, it just had the signature of the Principal.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-08-2020, 12:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Any time we have banned a sub, it has been after the teacher(s) discussed issues with the principal, then the principal contacted the sub coordinator asking that the sub not be sent to our building. As far as I know, there is no paperwork involved.

In 27 years, there have only been two subs I asked not to have in my classroom. It’s not common.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think secretaries OR principals can ban a sub. There is no paperwork. All they have to do is call the sub-coordinaror. You are lucky if you are even notified.

It is a miracle if you get the opportunity to defend yourself or be told what the problem is so you can address it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-08-2020, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In 16 years of teaching I’ve only asked to have one sub not return to my class and that’s because he put serious hands on my student (grabbed my 3rd grader by the shirt and lifted him off the ground). I discussed it with my P and she decided to ban him from the building. There was no defense, I walked into the gym and saw it happen.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-08-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Why not banned from the whole school?

luv2teach2017

Depends on your district policy
Old 03-08-2020, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Who is responsible for banning a sub? The teacher, secretary, or Principal? Who makes the ultimate decision? When I got a ban notice, it was not filled out at all, it just had the signature of the Principal.
This topic (being blocked) is often discussed on this forum. From what I've gathered, many folks who post here (myself included) have experienced being blocked.

As for the policy and who is responsible for initiating the block, I can only speak from my experience with the 4 districts I've worked for. I'd suggest asking your district HR about their particular policy.

From my experience, a common district policy is to block a sub from a particular school per the school principal's request. This is generally following the principal's receiving some kind of "complaint" against the sub. It could be from a para, a teacher, a parent, a student, etc. (I know a few districts that will automatically block a sub if there's one complaint.)

From what I've experienced, the complaint issue doesn't have to be serious or even valid. It's completely at the principal's discretion whether or not to report the issue to HR requesting the block. I've seen a few awesome principals who will work to mediate issues and head off complaints. But many will take the easiest course of action and simply have HR block the sub.

In one district where I worked, the procedure was for the principal to fill out a written complaint report and submit that to HR. It then went in the sub's file and the sub received a copy. However, depending on the district, the sub may or may not be made aware of a complaint. Oftentimes, the only way the sub will know is that they will no longer be able to access jobs at that school.

I resigned from a district a year ago because of their unfair blocking practices. The district had a lot of paras but had trouble retaining them. So one "remedy" was to encourage disgruntled paras to submit complaints to the principal. This resulted in open season on subs. The sub coordinator actually notified me of the para complaints. They were submitted by the principal based entirely on the paras' claims, which were ridiculously fabricated and bogus. The principal did not speak with me, nor did they bother to investigate the claims.

I spoke with HR and submitted written responses to the complaints, but got nowhere. I was still got blocked from the school. I disliked the way I was treated and quit that particular district.

This job has its positives, but the blocking practices are unfair and can be just plain mean and nasty. In the end, voting with your feet is the one option you can always rely on.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-08-2020 at 11:28 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 03-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't understand how schools could afford to be so quick to ban. My district is HARD UP for subs, and judging by a few of my subbing colleagues, the bar stays pretty low here. A teacher friend was told she was no longer allowed to exclude anyone from her potential subs; she had to just go with whoever picked up her jobs.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I don't understand how schools could afford to be so quick to ban. My district is HARD UP for subs
Yep...well maybe the districts' draconian blocking practices are just one more reason why they are hard up for subs. Ya think?

bodhimom

Old 03-08-2020, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They just don't want to "waste" their time actually talking/working with the sub to get their point if view or trying to help the sub improve. Easier, they think, to just go on to the next sub. Apparently, they can't figure that out. It results in what we have, here.

mrsd5

Iíve had subs blocked twice.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

One was blocked because she sat and crocheted after she just handed out the assignments, even though I had instruction time AND activities in the plans. She was a college friend who I had known for at least 25 years. The other was banned from the building because she constantly blew a whistle that everybody down the hallway could hear. It was a nightmare! These were 8th graders. Iím sure they were testing her, but they were one of my better groups of students.

Oh, and a sub was fired and banned a week ago. First and last time in the building (middle school). Boysí p.e. 7th graders. He told a boy FU. Among other things. Yes, the boy got a discipline too. But theyíd heard other complaints during the day too. Iíve subbed boys p.e. Itís not that bad.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

What is a sub coordinator?
Old 03-08-2020, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What is a aub coordinator? We don't have them, and the first o have heard of it jas been on this board. Have been doing this since 2015.
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Large metropolitan districts
Old 03-08-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My experience has been in large metropolitan districts.

As a part-time employee in any large organization, you are generally considered and treated as expendable. It doesn't matter how good a sub you are. If there is a single accusation, they don't want to expend resources investigating. They simply remove and replace the sub.

bodhimom

Old 03-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Luv2teach is right. They can't see further than their nose. That's fine, but just don't complain if you aren't willing to work more with the subs. Teachers get all kinds of opportunities to improve, etc., but subs, almost never.

Just don't complain when you have to have others cover for an absent teacher, every prep period, because you don't have a sub.

luv2teach2017

Teachers aren't the problem.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have to add. I don't blame the teachers at all. I have never had an issue with a teacher. I have a good rapport with the teachers because I am a professional and do a great job.

The problem, in my case, was the worst kind of paras... jealous, mean, disgruntled paras who lied and made up slanderous stories because there were no consequences for them. They easily caused problems for a sub. That's why I quit that district!

Ultimately, the real issue is that too many districts regard substitute teachers as expendable and replaceable commodities. They don't want to invest in screening, training, and routine employee reviews, decent pay and benefits, to maintain a quality substitute teaching staff. So they just use subs and throw them away.

I think that approach is short sighted and ultimately costs the districts more. But it's a trend these days among employers. It's a "gig economy."

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-09-2020 at 03:52 AM..

MaineSub

Never say "never?"
Old 03-09-2020, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I have to add. I don't blame the teachers at all. I have never had an issue with a teacher. I have a good rapport with the teachers because I am a professional and do a great job.
While I totally agree with not blaming teachers... I'm not sure I can say I have never had an issue with a teacher. I will say, however, that I've found teachers in general to be a great resource. I work at building rapport and support... one reason I've been willing in the past to sub as a para is it gives me an opportunity to watch different teachers in action. I've learned much that way.

As for banning or blacklisting, it's been fairly rare in our district. The bar is set fairly low for subs and, therefore, few achieve that distinction. In general, subs are a commodity... and not seen as a good longterm investment for most districts. While I don't have data, many subs "opt-out" for various reasons, some after one day of subbing.

It's a weird system but it's the one we've got.
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote
bodhimom
Old 03-09-2020, 07:04 AM
This message has been deleted by bodhimom.

bodhimom

Old 03-09-2020, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

When I was a teacher I never had a problem with a sub. Teachers that have problems with subs must be unprofessional and do a crappy job. I'm being sarcastic, if you didn't pick up on that.

It is true that in 10 years of teaching I never had a problem with a sub.

Fractured

Old 03-09-2020, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I believe any district I work in has to notify me if I’ve been given a warning. I know they have to notify me that I have been asked to not come back to a school. 4 years and I’ve never heard of anything, so I must be doing something right.

I probably don’t meet the majority of teachers I sub for since I am usually in large schools. If I do, they are always nice. I think most of them have their own preferred list and even if they take your info you might never hear back. It’s just how it is. I also have subs I’ve been asked to come back for but I never meet them because we are never there at the same time.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-09-2020, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
I believe any district I work in has to notify me if I’ve been given a warning. I know they have to notify me that I have been asked to not come back to a school.
Unless you've seen their policy in writing, you can't really know. I know of one district that doesn't notify a sub of complaints or blocks from schools. Their schools can block subs who aren't included on their "preferred sub" list. The district then terminates the sub after 3 or 4 blocks, without providing an explanation.

Large districts in my area routinely hire tons of new subs in the spring and fall. Obviously there's a lot of attrition. And it's no mystery why.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-09-2020 at 05:58 PM..

Tapdancesub

Old 03-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Iíve been at this for 12 years this spring. I have 1 teacher who banned me from her class, I still cover the school regularly. It happened 2 years ago and I have no idea why, she cancelled the rest of the days I had booked with her that semester. No explanation, just the death glare every time she sees me ( to this day). This morning I got a call from her school asking me to cover her at the last minute. My answer was no, one word and I hung up. They even told me they checked Abscence Management showed I was free. No, just no.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-09-2020, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Good for you. I would have done the same thing.

Fractured

Old 03-09-2020, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yeah, I would have done the same thing. Eff that person.

Luv to teach- I am in a better situation that some in that I have a union. If a teacher wants to file a complaint against me, I get to tell my side. I believe I can even bring a union rep. If a teacher wants me banned from their building, the principal has to back them and itís still a big process. Iíve only heard about a sub saying racist things and that got them removed, but I never heard the specifics. I think you have to pretty much hang yourself to get removed from this district. At the same time, it was hard to get into and there is a rigorous interview and background check.

In my other districts, they have to notify me by mail if a P requests that I be removed. I donít know if I can fight it, but they at least have to tell me. Iím sure a teacher can ask to have me blocked from their room, but I donít think that has ever happened. I document everything I do(esp if I have a kid kicked out of class), and Iíve never had negative feedback.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
What is a aub coordinator?
That is the person who calls the subs and tells them where to report for the day. Teachers call in, request a sub, and the sub coordinator calls the sub.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Sub coordinators' jobs differ
Old 03-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

In the districts where I've worked, substitute teachers generally access jobs themselves on AESOP, not through the sub coordinator. There's also an automated call system that notifies subs of unfilled jobs. The sub coordinator takes care of hiring and other administrative tasks as well as acting as a liaison between HR, the schools, and the subs. I very rarely have any contact with the sub coordinator.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-09-2020 at 06:03 PM..
luv2teach2017
Old 03-09-2020, 05:50 PM
This message has been deleted by luv2teach2017.

SubMan

The soft block
Old 03-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I'll call this the soft block; at three of the schools where I sub if the teacher doesn't know the sub or isn't her friend then the teacher deletes the absence or removes the sub.

School A - I've never subbed there but every job I pick up there gets deleted or I am removed from. I don't bother taking jobs at this school anymore; I was removed from an absence minutes before I was to report. I was in the school parking lot thinking "is this the one, is this the day I actually sub at this school?" When the Aesop robo-caller called to tell me of the cancellation. I didn't bother going in, I'm not that good of an actor. I found another job at another school that paid $10.00/more. Win for me!

School B - This is the school where I'm good enough to sub a half day but not good enough to sub a full day. I avoid this school as well.

School C - This is the school where I only will accept jobs on the second floor (grades 3, 4, 5). Jobs on the first floor (K, 1, 2) get canceled so I don't accept them.

All three of these schools are in a "better" school district that says they hire the best of the best of the best of the best.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote