Old 04-12-2020, 01:52 AM

How careful are you being?

Wiping them down?

Or just putting them away?

nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

edfan

Just putting away
Old 04-12-2020, 02:18 AM

I donít go often and I donít buy much. I hope Iím not being stupid.
edfan is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Long story short...I just put them away.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:27 AM

Before I go in, I spray my hands with homemade sanitizer. I take a wipe in for the shopping cart. I wear a mask, but not gloves. I select my groceries and place in the cart. I try to use a self-checkout line. I put the groceries in the car and then spray my hands again with hand sanitizer.

Go home, unload groceries and put them away without wiping down. Discard bags. Wash hands thoroughly.

Most of the groceries will sit for at least 24 hours before I use them anyhow.

In my opinion, if there was COVID19 on them, I would have to be unlucky enough to touch that exact spot on the container at the exact right time, and there'd have to be enough virus to create an infection.

Of course, there might be enough virus to create antibodies that might protect me, who knows?
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-12-2020, 02:56 AM

I wear a mask, but not gloves, in the store. I use hand sanitizer as I go in, and wipe down the cart. Try not to touch my face, and to touch only the items I am putting in my cart.

I go through the regular checkout and have them put the items directly in my cart. Take them to my car, sanitize hands, and then wipe off each item with a sanitizing wipe as I place them in my freshly washed grocery bags. Sanitize hands again before I put them on the steering wheel.

When I get the groceries into the house I wash my hands, put groceries away, and wash hands again.

I actually think, like PrivateEyes, that I could probably skip the step of sanitizing the groceries if I want through the self checkout...but it's such a pain to use that I will opt for convenience at checkout and be inconvenienced in the parking lot.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-12-2020, 03:30 AM

How careful? very
Haven't shopped inside a grocery store in over a month and use curbside only.

The garage is the "staging area" where nonperishable items are left for 1-3 days, then wiped down with Clorox wipes. Refrigerator and freezer items (packaged) are wiped down with Clorox wipes and placed into the ref or freezer asap.

Only purchase fruit and veggies that come wrapped in a pkg. Stopped requesting "loose" items that sit in a bin in the grocery store where countless people handle/touch them when selecting items.

Positive cases doubled within two days in my area. You know some people are spreading it in the grocery stores if they go inside

I forgot to mention that curbside is free in my town. All the grocery stores used to charge a fee, but they stopped charging.

Last edited by LazyLake; 04-12-2020 at 09:53 AM..
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 04-12-2020, 04:08 AM

I just put them away.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 04-12-2020, 04:20 AM

My kids go into the stores with masks, no gloves. We wash produce but put the rest away.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 04-12-2020, 04:34 AM

Doing curbside only. Hubby empties trunk right into doorway. Bags never enter kitchen. I grab items a few at a time I wash hands before and after this process.

For something we don't need immediately (a box of cereal, bag of chips, etc), it sits on a shelf in the garage for several days. To keep my inside shoes clean, I take them just to the laundry room which connects to the garage. After putting perishables up, I go to that room and swap out shoes to go to the garage (no, the floor isn't germy, but it has some car grease and dirt that has come in on car tires).

For something that must come inside right after the shopping trip (a gallon of milk, carton of eggs), I am wiping it down container with wipes. With eggs, if you can time it right, you can save your old carton and just transfer eggs from the new carton to an empty one.

Produce gets a vinegar water bath.

Afterwards is a good time to wipe down the kitchen counter, the refrigerator handle, any cabinet nobs, the sink and faucet.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Similar to Private Eyes
Old 04-12-2020, 04:46 AM

Also being careful to wipe down counters etc where bags and groceries have sat.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Wiping down...
Old 04-12-2020, 04:59 AM

I wipe down plastic containers and repackage where I can in my own containers. I have not been going crazy, just doing the best I can.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Groceries
Old 04-12-2020, 05:11 AM

DH always goes wearing his mask. No gloves as they said not to wear them. We have hand sanitizer in the car for after. We do wipe down everything, even the bag, before putting away.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 04-12-2020, 05:20 AM

I'm pretty careful. I mask up and put gloves on and they are now required for grocery shopping. I make sure to remove my gloves after loading the groceries so I don't touch my door handle or steering wheel with the gloves. I use hand sanitizer as soon as I get in the car. I also take wipes with me and I disinfect my car keys and credit card, then I use hand sanitizer again. Once I get home, I unload all my groceries to one part of my kitchen. I wipe down anything I can't unpack. All cardboard gets thrown out. Once everything is away, I disinfect the kitchen and then wash my hands again. Then I shower and wash my hair. I live in the county with the highest outbreak in NJ. I'm extra cautious.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 04-12-2020, 05:31 AM

I just put them away and wash my hands thoroughly after. I wash fruits and veggies, but thatís nothing new.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 04-12-2020, 06:05 AM

I must be living on the edge.
I go in, no mask, no gloves. Baskets are wiped down. I shop, load into car, use hand sanitizer from my car, unload.

I have been wiping down the inside of my car/ car handles at least once a week if not twice.
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-12-2020, 06:12 AM

Same as PrivateEyes!

I have ordered take out a few times, I do transfer the food to my own plates and sanitize my counters but that’s all.

I haven’t gone to a grocery store in over 3 weeks so the mask issue hasn’t come up yet. Other than walking the dog I haven’t left the house. I do have a bunch of surgical masks left from an activity I do in my classroom each year that I’ll wear if/when I do leave the house.

I have a bunch of gloves too. However, I think cross contamination would be a larger issue so probably won’t use them or I’d only use one glove and keep the other hand ungloved for my personal items.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-12-2020, 06:27 AM

Last time I brought groceries into the house was 3/31 and I rinsed some things off like I've always done, but I'll be a lot more thorough now and especially since finding this doctor's videos, which I posted here 5 days ago:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=632785

(Stopped getting takeout on 3/26.)
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 04-12-2020, 06:35 AM

I bring the bags in and put them on the floor rather than the counters. Things just get put away. I am blessed that my county is rural and we have very few cases. I am still careful. I donít wipe things down but we usually have a few days before we eat them.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-12-2020, 06:49 AM

I do the same as LazyLake. The garage is the staging area. I have the same process, I wipe it all down, leave non perishables in garage, the rest gets placed in canvas bags after cleaning and put in freezer or fridge. I take off shoes and spray with Lysol. Put clothes in wash and shower. I’m now getting food delivered from the grocery store. I do the same wipe down.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-12-2020, 06:53 AM

I'm really not doing anything differently than I did before, except washing the cart handle, staying 6 feet (or more) away from people, and washing my hands after shopping. Oh, and wearing a mask. I've always washed produce before eating it.

Don't worry about cans, boxes, bags, etc. Business as usual around here, pretty much. I stocked up long before this became a pandemic, so have plenty of food so haven't really bought much and rarely go to the store, anyway.

I figure I'm more apt to get it from the clerks/shoppers in the stores than from the cans, etc. I'm purchasing.

Last edited by eliza4one; 04-12-2020 at 07:20 AM..
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 04-12-2020, 07:00 AM

DH is our grocery supplier. The grocery has an employee sanitizing carts for the customers when they come in the store. He has tge groceries bagged so all freezer food is together, refrigerated food together, pantry items together. When he gets home the freezer items go right into the chest freezer, bags and all. The refrigerated items get put on the bottom 2 shelves in the garage refrigerator. We cleaned and organized these appliances for this purpose. The pantry items are left in the back of my car. None of these supplies are not touched for 3 days. After that we feel we can safely bring them in and put them away and unpack the bags in the refrigerator and freezer. It is still cold here and temp in garage is set at 40 so everything is safely stored, my car is not being driven since we can't go anywhere.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Careful
Old 04-12-2020, 07:15 AM

I am wiping all groceries down on formal dining table away from where I cook and eat right now.

After it is cleaned I put it away.

Produce goes in sink.

Then I wash hands with soap.

Then I clean off formal dining table.

Then I wash hands.

Then I clean produce.

Then I clean sink.

Then I clean hands.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Groceries
Old 04-12-2020, 07:19 AM

I wear a mask into the store, but not gloves. Our store sprays/wipes down the buggies after every use. I sanitize my hands going in and going out, then again after loading the groceries in the trunk. I always get items that are near the back so it's not something that's been picked up several times (but I've always done that! ).

After I put the groceries away, I throw the bags away and use Clorox wipe to wipe off the counter. Then I wash my hands thoroughly.

I don't wipe down the groceries because we don't typically eat anything right at that moment so I'm thinking the majority of the germs will be gone by the time we use it. Like others said, I'm hoping I'm not being naive about it all.

Honestly, I feel like everything is cleaner now than it's been in the past!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

We're being pretty OCD about it!
Old 04-12-2020, 07:33 AM

We have only gone once since this all started, but this is what we did.

In the parking lot, we put everything into two large plastic totes. One tote was for the refrigerated/perishable items and the second one was for everything else.

When we got home, the tote on nonperishables went on the porch where they stayed for 3-4 days.

The tote of perishables went straight into the kitchen. I cleaned off the counter with a Clorox wipe while my husband washed his hands. (I didn't wash mine until I was done with the next step.)

As I took each item out of the bag, I wiped them down completely with a Clorox wipe (not fruit and veggies). I wiped down everything like yogurt container, milk jug, plastic bag of cheese, etc. Using the wipe, I handed the then nontoxic/COVID free () package/container to my husband who then put them in the fridge.

When we were done with all the packaged items, I then washed each vegetable/fruit (except tomatoes and other things you can't wash until you need them) in the sink with veggie wash for 20 seconds. The others we put on a paper towel and placed them on the counter until we needed to use them.

I didn't put the nonperishables away until they had been on the porch for 3-4 days.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but we are already at a high risk for getting it because of DH's job (firefighter/EMT), so we're taking all sorts of crazy precautions.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

How careful...
Old 04-12-2020, 09:29 AM

very! I only shop every 3 or so weeks. We wear masks and gloves at the store and social distance. We go on the days that show the fewest people shopping, and we go during senior hour first thing in the morning. We even hold out our discount card for the cashier so she/he doesn't have to touch it for his/her own safety. We bag our groceries and then dump them out of the bags and bring the items in, throwing the bags in the trash outside.
We wipe everything down in the laundry room keeping a "clean" side of our antique sink and the "dirty" side to it. We leave the canned goods and other non perishable things in the garage and don't bring them into the house until several days have passed and there is no likelihood of them being infected with the virus.
We are in a high risk category and we are in a densely populated area. We don't want to take any chances that we can avoid. So far we have seen 2,183 deaths from COVID 19 and we are not sure we have reached the APEX.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 04-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Here in BC, we're flattening the curve and we want to continue to do so through physical and social distancing. I follow this doctor's advice. Man thought I was being overly cautious. I gave him The Look and said, "no, no I'm not."

At the grocery store, we wear masks but not gloves. When we leave the store, we put everything in the trunk of the car, open the doors of the car, take off our outer coverings and put them in a cloth bag, take off our masks and put them in the cloth bag, put the cloth bag in the trunk and then get in the car to go home. At home, we sort things in the garage--things that can wait 3 days stay in the garage in boxes, things that need to come in go to the top of the dryer. I wash my hands and clean everything as suggested in the video and when they're cleaned, I put them on the washing machine prepartory to Man, whose hands are clean, takes them upstairs to put away. We have a special box for the vegetables and as far as possible, they get washed in soap and water. What I don't want to wash immediately (asparagus, lettuce, etc.), I put into clean bags (cloth or plastic) and put them in the fridge to wash later.

We have enough food now to last us at least a month except for fresh vegetables which we can get at the much smaller vegetable store once a week.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 04-12-2020, 11:00 AM

I've been doing InstaCart.

Quote:
I must be living on the edge.
I go in, no mask, no gloves. Baskets are wiped down. I shop, load into car, use hand sanitizer from my car, unload.
If I have to go in, this.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-12-2020, 12:19 PM

I will fashion some sort of mask for next time I go now that it's expected in my state.

I am going to the store far less than I used to (buying more at one time). I am very conscious of not touching my face in the store or on the way home. When I get home, I wash my hands, put everything away, and then wash my hands again. Then I change my clothes and wipe down the counter, fridge handles, door handle, and keys with clorox wipes. I don't have enough clorox wipes to wipe down the groceries themselves- if by some miracle they have them next time I go to the store, I may start doing that. After that, I change my clothes and wash my hands one final time. I also try not to eat anything "new" that I just picked up for that first day out of an abundance of caution.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote