Help

BusyBoard

Is this appropriate?

>

KatieViolet

Is this appropriate?
Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to ask my kidsí teachers for their home address so we can mail them a card/teacher appreciation gift in a few weeks. They are doing so much and I donít want them to feel forgotten. But Iím wondering if they will feel like thatís an intrusion of privacy.

For context, we live in a small town and many families know teachers thru church/community clubs, etc. Many teachers are Facebook friends with parents. Iím not teaching right now but have subbed at the kidsí school and know the teachers a little more than I would if I were just a regular parent.

Is this appropriate? Or is there a better way to send a gift? I donít think theyíre going to the school right now, so I canít send it there.

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 04-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Nothing wrong with saying "I would love to send you something if you don't mind sharing your home address."
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 04-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They probably already know you're not a crazy person, so I would think it would be fine. If they are uncomfortable with it, they just won't respond.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you donít want to have to request their addresses, you could send an online gift card. That could be sent to their school email address.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

My class did that
Old 04-14-2020, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For my birthday my class mom asked if I would mind sharing my home email so she could send a gift card from the class. I had no problem giving it to her.

Her email to me was, “Hypothetically speaking, if a class mom wanted to send a gift card to their class’s teacher’s personal email, hypothetically would the teacher be comfortable giving her email address to the class parent?”

My gift was an amazon e-card. No need to know my home address, just my email address.

Last edited by Munchkins; 04-14-2020 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Adding...
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-14-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking, but I wouldn't give mine out to just anybody. I would give it to a very select couple of parents who I trusted not to share it with anyone.

I think an emailed gift card to a restaurant that delivers and a heartfelt email would be a lovely idea, though. I've received gift card emails to my school address.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

address
Old 04-14-2020, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My teaching partner just received an email from a family for her home address! I suppose on one hand , people could look it up. But this mom is overbearing and wants to be FB friends and wants way too much personal info. I would not give mine out. I would say send it to the school and you'll get it.

I live in the district and do not even tell current students where I live. I prefer my privacy.

I'm sure they'll get it from school eventually.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Aderynbach

Old 04-14-2020, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a parent ask and I gave it. Iím pretty careful about my personal info, but at least in social distancing land theyíll be pretty unlikely to stalk my house!
Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-14-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would hate putting them on the spot. Send an online card instead. If you want to make it more personal, send it to the school in care of the teacher as long as you know they are going back next year!

I live in a small community, too. Where I live is not a secret, but I certainly don't want everyone to know. You never know when some crazy will find it and then... Same with my phone number. I don't give it to anyone because you just never know. If I gave it to one parent, they would share and I have no control over it, so I give it to no one.

Safer than sorry.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 04-14-2020, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would not send it to the school, unless you know teachers go in. At my school, teachers aren't allowed in at all. There's only someone there at all 2 days a week. I have no idea what would happen to mail sent there.

It's a very sweet idea! I do like the idea of an emailed gift card so that it can be sent regardless of if she's comfortable giving her address out or not.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Appropriate
Old 04-14-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Depends on how comfortable you are with your address now going public. It will stay that way for a long, long time. How about asking parent to have all cards sent to her, and she could mail one big envelope to you? Or drop it off on your front porch.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

another suggestion
Old 04-14-2020, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You might offer that you'd like to give them a token of appreciation and ask if they're comfortable giving you their addresses, or if they'd like to stop by your house to pick something up from your porch, if you're comfortable with that. I personally would be fine with either option. I hope your intentions will be well-received.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Uncomfortable
Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

While the thought is so nice, I would feel uncomfortable giving my address. First, obviously, having my address out to students/families makes me nervous. I know you are fine, and I probably wouldn't have a concern about the parent who was asking, but I would be worried about who you may share it with and it getting in the wrong hands. For example, a friend of yours finds out what you did and they want the address, so you give it to that friend. That keeps going. Eventually, it could get in the hands of the wrong person.

Secondly, I'd feel uncomfortable because I'd feel like by saying "Yeah, sure here's my address", I'm saying "Yeah, sure send me a gift!" and that would feel rude to me.

I like the suggestion of an online gift card.

Another idea might be to contact the principal. Explain the situation. Maybe he/she can come up with a solution, like explain to teachers that parents want to send gifts can they have their address. Or, maybe you'd find out that they are coming into school periodically. Maybe even you can arrange to give it/mail it to the principal and the principal can then send it to the teacher. That way, you don't need to approach the teacher.

A final idea is to get the gift, take a picture, and send an e-mail. Explain in the e-mail that when you see her again, you have that gift for her for teacher appreciation and how thankful you are for all she has done.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-14-2020, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks everyone! I like the suggestion of an online gift card. I can send an amazon gift card thru email, and then Iíll have the kids writes note that I could take a photo of and send that.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Bebopbay45

Bebopbay45

If you email
Old 04-14-2020, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had a parent send me an email gift card. She also told me to be on the lookout for it. Iím glad she let me know because the very generous Target gift card was in my spam and I never would have known.

MaineSub

Discretion is often the better part of valor
Old 04-15-2020, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Let me begin by saying that I too live in a very rural area... many of the kids know where I live. Last summer I heard a car go by with a pile of kids in it and one shouted out, "Hey, guys! That's where Mr. B. lives!"

I think the larger question here is school policy and practice because asking for that information may put the teacher in a difficult and uncomfortable position. If the school/district is currently engaged in remote teaching/learning, there is a protocol for kids and parents to contact the teacher. I'd stick to it.

In our district, school buildings are closed to the public but employees have access to the building--for one thing, learning packets are being sent home and those must be assembled. (Our bus drivers are following the regular routes to deliver meals and learning packets.) I would bet anything that teachers and staff are picking up their mail as well as any returned student assignments. I've actually dropped off information for teachers at the building.

We certainly are in a weird place and time but I think we need to be cautious about changing our relationships. We've always had a certain amount of "professional distancing" and I don't think social distancing means we should change that.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 04-15-2020, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That is very kind of you.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote