Help

The VENT

Teaching your own kids?

>

Hammy6714

Teaching your own kids?
Old 04-14-2020, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone else struggling to teach their own children? My third grader and preschooler are fighting me on everything....I know emotions are high and stress is big right now even for little humans and I've been giving them lots of grace. I'm at my wits end trying to help them get their work done...because mom (who has been a teacher for 15 years) doesn't know anything!

Hammy6714 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 04-14-2020, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hear ya! I've been watching (zooming) what my neices/nephews are going through dealing with their PK to HS kids' school work. Some are really freaking out. And a few of them are also teachers.

This is exactly why we really need to ease up on families. Many families have essential workers, unpaid workers, covid positive members, WFH parents, and parents unable to help due to language or academic barriers. We should not be causing all this extra stress!

Thankfully, my district and teachers are putting a lot of lessons and resources out there, but everything is optional and nothing is graded. However, that's not the case in my family members' districts & charters.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-14-2020, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so sorry and I know this struggle is real!! I have always said I can teach a whole room full of other people's kids, but I couldn't homeschool because we would kill each other in the process. I am so thankful that mine are grown and not here during this time, but I do feel for all of you who are going through this. Hang in there, momma!

One of the best posts I have seen recently was that your kids might not remember anything they learn in 'school' during this time, but they will remember how you made them feel. Be gentle with yourself and with them. As far as lessons, concentrate on the 3rd grader who is probably getting things from school. Help her with tech or knowing how to start and then let her do it. Is she being graded? Not that it matters, because seriously, who cares if she isn't making honor roll right now. These kids are going to be fine with whatever they are able to do at this time!

Do the best you can, take lots of breaks, and have fun with your kiddos!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hammy6714

Jov
Old 04-14-2020, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I completely agree! My daughter goes to a different school district than the one I teach in. Her district is assigning an insane amount of work. She is in 3rd grade and has about 3 hours of work each day...she is a pretty average student so I can only imagine what it's like for struggling students. Her work is graded and required. She does have the option of online work or packet work...we chose online.

My district is taking a much more laid back approach. I teach in a district where most of my students parents have either been laid off or are an essential employee like a grocery store clerk or gas station attendant. I am only assigning about 60-80 min of work per day and it's optional, and not graded.

Family dynamics look so different right now!

Hammy6714

Eagles
Old 04-14-2020, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your kind words! My 3rd grader is being graded (silly in my opinion). We have gone on nature walks and baked and made crafts, trying to make learning fun...I wold much rather teach my 30 loud and crazy 6th graders!

Hawkeyegirl1

Don't use your teacher voice
Old 04-14-2020, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My kids are now grown and boy, I miss them, but I feel lucky that I do not have to worry about helping them with remote learning!

When my boys were little, my first born would always ask me to bring things home and show him how to do harder math.

My youngest....he would say, "Don't use that teacher voice with me!:
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 04-14-2020, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm so thankful that mine are older and self-sufficient. I feel for those who are doing this teaching from home thing with little ones.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-14-2020, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am SO very relieved that someone else thinks this. Can I just mention how frustrated I am that my high schooler slacked off so much in three of her classes? She and I had already HAD this conversation in one of the classes already this year and I genuinely thought she was back on track.
NOPE.
THREE CLASSES....and I'm decently sure there are other things she could do in the other classes but it's just not as bad as the first three. Up until yesterday she was fighting me tooth and nail on getting anything done. Last night at bedtime she checked her grades....oh boy we had yet another come to Jesus meeting. Which apparently worked because I found her working on something at like two in the morning. (I did make her go to bed, after she emailed the three teachers about making up work.)
She spent about 5 hours working today. Now, largely she's self-sufficient once she gets it going so once she realized what she needed to do she was on it with minimal help from me but Lord have mercy. It was easier when was younger.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 04-14-2020, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My kids are also grown, thank goodness. I had a parent ask me "how do you do this?" and I told her straight up that I will happily teach her kid until the cows come home but no power on earth could make me try and teach my own kids. There would be bloodshed.

My grandson is in kindergarten now (first year of compulsory school here) and has only had eight weeks before this started. However, as the child of essential workers with grandparents unable to help (I'm immune-compromised and his other grandparents are over 70 and live 100km away) he is going to school. There are four kids rocking up every day and he is loving it.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Fun story
Old 04-14-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So my dd 14 and I get along great. Really. She will tell her friends I am an awesome mom. I´ve heard it.

She had NEVER stuggled with any school work until this year. Enter taking honors geometry her freshman year. It was a whole crisis. She missed classes on block scheduling due to breaking her arm and ortho appointments and whatever and it was just a horrible downward spiral of failure the first six weeks.

So, I tried to relearn geometry to help her at home. Our first lesson devolved into me yanking her phone out of her hand and yelling at her to listen to me, and her yelling at me that she ¨was listening and stop using my teacher voice to her¨ and me yelling at her to stop being a B**** so I can teach her...and it just didn´t work from there.

Thus ended my short foray into trying to teach my daughter...

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-14-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Claire I love it. Because you know that was me last year. Bless our hearts.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Teaching your own kids
Old 04-14-2020, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It’s terrible.

I do a reward chart.

I also give lots of choice. Today is reading: what do you want to do first?

But yes, I’m with you it’s hard.
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote
daffodils
Old 04-15-2020, 01:45 AM
This message has been deleted by daffodils. Reason: need to re upload picture

daffodils

tablet chart
Old 04-15-2020, 01:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am outright bribing mine (1st grade and age 4) with tablet time (free choice, non educational stuff). I made a chart and they get points for what they accomplish. Each point is 1 min of tablet time. Minimum of 30 points required to "cash in" and maximum of 60 minutes can be earned. They get points for a range of things.

On school days, my 1st grader has a "must accomplish" list before she can get tablet time (even if she hits the points prior). Then she has a "can do" list. Weekends it is all optional, but she has to hit 30 points. My 4 year old doesn't have a must accomplish list, but he has to wait until his sister earns hers and they get it at the same time.

Items Include for School Day:

1st Grader Required:
Read Outloud (Little brother Listen)—5 pts
Writing Assignment—8 pts
Math Facts Website and earn green (aka finish a session fully)—3 pts
Vocab City complete 4 activities—3 pts
Math Lesson—4 pts
Physical activity for 30 mins—10 pts
Speech words practice (she gets speech therapy online)—5 pts

Additional Points Options:
Language App for 20 min (we live in a non-English speaking country)—4 pts
Art for 30 min—5 pts
Coding (Bitsbox) for 20 mins—4 pts
Keyboarding for 20 mins—4 pts
Get ready for the day (clothes, teeth, potty) w/o fighting—3 pts
Unload dishwasher—3 pts
Clean playroom completely—10 pts
Clean bedroom—5 pts
Do a puzzle for 15 min—3 pts
Play Piano for 15 min--5 points
Mom's Choice--3 to 10 points (this covers things like Science lesson, playing nicely without fighting, etc)

My weekend one is similar, but has less school stuff obviously and more playing or chore options.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-15-2020, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I might have been able to work with my oldest, but my youngest? No way. That was the way things worked. So glad that they are older now!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Hammy6714

Daffodils
Old 04-15-2020, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I LOVE this!!

Lakeside

Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
I am so sorry and I know this struggle is real!! I have always said I can teach a whole room full of other people's kids, but I couldn't homeschool because we would kill each other in the process.
Ditto! My son's in college now, but homework battles were a mine filed here when he was younger. My strongest teaching style and his strongest learning style are pretty far apart to begin with, but I think the kicker is the the emotional component. - It's just way harder to detach and let them "learn the hard way" when school is all tied up with home life.

@ daffodils, I love the points system!!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 04-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yep. It is hard.
Maybe there may be a new found empathy when our students' parents struggle to get them to do homework instead of thinking bad of them just as they may have a new found empathy for teachers having to get a class of students to do their work.

Marcimcg

Teaching own kids
Old 04-20-2020, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I never could have done it, so I empathize with you for sure!

Teaching first grade, my 6 year old sweeties suddenly became 4 years old when mommy room mothers showed up for parties or something. Kids reverted to more babyish behavior without exception when parent there.

So... if your sweetie is 8, consider what worked for her at 6 or even younger.

Bribery, cookies, etc is what I recommend

More than anything, find a room with a door and lock. You go in with glass of wine and good book.

Kudos to all teacher mommies. Wish I could give you hazard pay.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote