Help

The VENT

Parent- I've explained this...

>

Singvogel

Parent- I've explained this...
Old 05-27-2020, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We already know that students don't follow directions, but neither do many parents!

Argh- I've reviewed how to attach and turn in to Google Classroom with the students. I've posted directions for the students, more than once. I've sent the parents the directions that I gave the students, and STILL they attach to an an email for THEIR convenience.

Yes, my all caps are intended as yelling. If I can't yell here, where can I yell? I'm not your customer service representative who is supposed to do whatever you need. I'm a teacher. I shouldn't have to go through multiple Internet windows just for your convenience and unwillingness to hold your child accountable for following directions.

There...rant over.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

I hear you!
Old 05-27-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students’ reading comprehension has dropped significantly during distance learning. Both students and parents often just email me questions instead of bothering to read the information I provide.

Tech issues can be hard- I’m slow to learn new tech myself. I hope you can finish out your school year soon. We’re all tired of this, I think.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

I Agree
Old 05-27-2020, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Another poster on a similar thread said something along the lines of just referring them back to read the directions. I have done that and it cut down dramatically on the “east way out” e-mails. I always say something similar to:

“Thank you so much for reaching out - “if you refer to the document attached to <<insert post title>>, I think the directions will be much clearer. Please contact me if you have further questions after that!”

I use the same thing for parents AND students, because I teach middle school.

My bigger problem is that the question is never something I can help with - “I don’t get it” is not a question I can answer. What part, where, did you try it first, did you read the directions, etc.????
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Teaching double
Old 05-27-2020, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Remote learning = teaching students + teaching parents

It wore me out.
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Oh, yeah...
Old 05-27-2020, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had two students send somewhat snarky messages about why an assignment they completed was marked as incomplete.

Instead of explaining it, I took a screenshot of the directions and messaged them back. Amazing how all of a sudden, I received submissions. Funny how reading the directions works.

LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

FLSun

An Idea
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I’ve had good luck making assignments a “quiz” in Google classroom which has you create the “quiz” in Google forms. You can name or call it anything you want and google forms allows you to do multiple choice or free answer questions. So it’s not just for quizzes, you can just put the assignment there and have them do their work there. If you happen to need a quiz or test, it will grade multiple choice for you.
FLSun is offline   Reply With Quote