Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Alaskan Cruise

>

tchrrx

Alaskan Cruise
Old 06-22-2020, 05:56 AM

Have you cruised to Alaska? If so, please tell me your favorite (and least favorite) excursions along with the company you booked through if possible. It's over a year away, but I'm ready to start vacation planning!

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

Old 06-22-2020, 06:04 AM

We are going he heat dinner to! I'm interested to see what people who have gone say about it.
Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Following
Old 06-22-2020, 06:08 AM

For the future of course! Maybe in a year or 2? I would love a small ship without tons of people...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Glaciers!
Old 06-22-2020, 06:23 AM

My favorite thing from our Alaska Cruise was hiking on the glacier. In Juneau, we took a helicopter ride to Mendenhall Glacier. Then we spent several hours hiking all over it. It was amazing! We always book our excursions through the cruise line. Itís a little more expensive, but youíre guaranteed that the ship wonít leave without you.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-22-2020, 06:30 AM

We took a Princess Cruise Lines trip to Alaska. The inside passage route was great and very scenic. The memorable excursions for me were whale watching and a trip on land to see a sled dog operation.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

KC14

Old 06-22-2020, 06:32 AM

We cruised Alaska 2 years ago and loved it. We sailed on Holland and it was good. I don't think the cruise line is as important as the ports and the times they stop. You most likely will want one of the smaller ships so that it can go into Glacier Bay. Larger ships only go to the mouth of it and turn around.

Some important things to consider:
*Do you want one way sailing or round trip? One way takes you further but you do have to fly in and out of different places.
*Are you interested in extending your trip with a land portion? Princess has nice packages to extend. We extended on our own and loved it!
*If you know of any specific excursions that you want to take, check port times carefully. In Juneau, we wanted to take a boat tour into Tracy Arm and many sailings do not arrive early enough to do that.

We sailed from Vancouver and stayed there 2 nights before sailing. There was so much to do there - highlights were Stanley Park and Capilano Suspension Bridge.
Juneau - Tracy Arm
Ketchikan - Kayaking
Skagway - Zip lining
We ended in Seward and did the Kenai Fjords National Park tour.

We actually loved the road trip that followed even more than the cruise. We rented a car, stayed at Airbnb's, walked on a glacier, saw Denali in full view and so much more! I've only gone once but used info from my sister who has gone twice and I also did so much research! So much more to share if anyone wants more specifics! Have fun planning!

Last edited by KC14; 06-22-2020 at 10:29 AM..
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 06-22-2020, 06:55 AM

I ziplined in Tongass Rainforest in Ketchikan. The name of the company was Alaskan Canopy Adventures. I also did the Whitepass and Yukon Railway tour, which is a narrow gauge railroad train that follows the path of the gold miners. The scenery was beautiful. I’ve done it twice. I always book excursions through the cruise line.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 06-22-2020, 08:32 AM

We used Princess Cruises for our trip. It was the most amazing trip I have ever been on. We enjoyed all our stops and seeing the glaciers up close.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 06-22-2020, 08:49 AM

I did some excursions while on the Alaskan cruise.

White water rafting- cool to say that I've done it, but not that exciting to actually do. It was like tubing down a cold splashy river with friends. I never felt in "danger".

Whale watching- we saw the backs of a few whales. Not impressed but that's not the tour's fault. The whales just weren't really jumping that day.

Mendehall Glacier- This was cool to see up close. You see glaciers from the boat, but this gets you so much closer and allows you to walk around. We went across the parking lot to a forest area and saw a bear. That was so cool.

Ziplining through the forest- I loved this. I was terrified, but in the end it was so cool to be flying through those tall trees.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 06-22-2020, 11:23 AM

We did an Alaskan cruise several years ago on Princess. We had a wonderful time! My favorite excursions were: visiting a summer sled dog camp, seeing a glacier up close (Mendenhall), and whale watching. I also enjoyed just walking through and shopping in the cities we stopped in. If you can, book a room with a balcony because there is beautiful scenery all along the way. You also notice various sea animals every day.

read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

Recess

Alaskan Cruise
Old 06-22-2020, 12:11 PM

We've cruised to Alaska twice on Princess out of Vancouver. My DH did a lot of research the first time to find a cruise line with the itinerary he wanted. Princess was the line we went with because of their itineraries. We've been on 15 cruises with them since 2006.
My avatar is the Inukshuk in the harbor in Vancouver, BC.

Last edited by Recess; 06-22-2020 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Recess is offline   Reply With Quote

jd019

Love Alaska
Old 06-22-2020, 03:39 PM

Iíve done two Alaska cruises. Cruise #1 was on the Coral Princess in 2007. DH and I were actually married at sea by the captain. In Ketchikan we went zip lining and went to the lumberjack show. In Skagway we did the Best of Skagway tour (all of our excursions were booked through Princess). This tour involved going to the historical brothel, Liarsville (gold panning), fish bake, and the train. In Juneau we did a helicopter ride to a glacier were we went dogsledding (highlight of the trip next to the wedding). Pricey but absolutely worth it. In Whittier we went to an animal rescue area. This was our least favorite. In 2017 we went back for our 10 year anniversary on the Island Princess. Did the same cruise north. No excursions this time. We hiked local trails at each stop. We also did the ship tour which was incredible to see all the areas on the ship that are typically off limits. Worth the price. When we disembarked we did a week on the land. We took a catamaran to Valdez, then a bus to the Copper River lodge. Saw the pipeline and hiked. Next we went to Denali and we did white water rafting (paddle, not the guide oar). This was fantastic! We did the Tundra Wilderness your into the park. Saw lots of animals. We moved on to the McKinley lodge and hiked before heading on the train back to Anchorage. You will have a great time.
jd019 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Alaska Cruise
Old 06-23-2020, 02:14 AM

I would go on a small ship cruise. Those boats can get into the smaller coves, and you get an entirely different experience.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 06-23-2020, 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Weíll be cruising with Disney even though the price is ridiculous. We had DVC points from a canceled trip this year that needed to be applied. Plus we got money back from our canceled annual passes.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote