Help

Teachers' Lounge

Going to the dorm tomorrow!

>

hikinghiker

Going to the dorm tomorrow!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:59 PM

*derm

This time I'm actually going to stand my ground. Growing up I went to the dermatologist 1-2 a year. I have such an extensive history of blistering sunburns that my dermatologist actually considered if I had a sun allergy I distinctly remember summer after summer having to wear a bathrobe or sheets because I was covered head to toe in blistered. I've also, shamefully, used tanning beds quite a lot throughout college, always resulting in a bad burn and no tan.

Now, I'm only 23, but I have 100+ moles all over. I made the appointment for a teeny tiny red spot of my forehead. It's small, but it looks like a perpetual pimple and I've had it growing for at least 2 years. Thinking it Basal Cell Carcinoma, which most members of my family have had.

I also have a new mole on my back that I got right after a sunburn and another one on my leg that's been growing. I think I'm actually going to request they be biopsied. Last term I went to just said to keep an eye on them, but out of all of my (very irregular) moles, these are the only two that I don't like. And trust me when I say I grow really weird moles lol.

Wish me luck! I hope they take me seriously.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-24-2020, 07:23 PM

As a person who visits the derm every six months, and has seen several different ones over the years, if you are concerned and think it has changed, keep repeating you think it has already changed if they tell you itís ok or to watch it. Usually about the third time you repeat that you have been watching it and you think it has changed, they agree to biopsy it.

Good luck.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Good for you
Old 06-24-2020, 07:23 PM

Do be insistent that they test what you want! Good luck!
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Dermatologist
Old 06-24-2020, 07:45 PM

Absolutely talk about what you notice. Doc can tell you if itís nothing or something. You know you body.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-24-2020, 09:47 PM

Good luck! Be strong. I started going to the dermatologist regularly at around 21/22 and I was always treated like I was paranoid. But I lived in sunny places and I have a lot of moles, so I know I'm high risk. Even though I'm really good about sunscreen and I really don't like being in the sun (I was also told I might have a sun allergy from blistering I'd get on the backs of my hands at the beginning of summer every year when the sun was out but I was still mostly covered).

I've had at least 3 basal cells removed. My moles are never a big deal (apparently), although I always have more concerns about them. It's the basal cells that sneak up on me. One of them looked like a little pimple that wouldn't go away, so I'm glad you're getting it checked out.

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Wise Decision
Old 06-25-2020, 03:09 AM

Be persistent and advocate for yourself! I have had Sebacous Carcinoma and Squamous Cell on my face - both removed in the doctor's office. No one in my family had either of these.

Now I religiously use a botanical sunscreen SPF 50 on my face whenever I walk or am going outside for activities.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-25-2020, 09:22 AM

Oddly, I just got a reminder in my email this morning for a derm appt next week. . I didn't know I had one of those? Has the pt advertising infiltrated my email now???
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 PM

Good for you! I think you are being very wise! I grew up here in a beach town and spent summer after summer baking in the sun with my friends at the beach back in the 70s covered in baby oil! You are inspiring me to go again! I've only had a skin check once.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 06-25-2020, 06:25 PM

I half failed...

Good news is the red mark on my face isn't anything concerning! I can't remember her exact words, but basically its a growth of blood cells. Made an appointment to laser it off. Bummer is that she said once you get one, I'll likely get a lot more, especially since I got one young.

The one on my back she suggested was just irritated by my pants and I went along with it then was angry at myself as soon as I started driving home and it started bothering me again and itching. Next time I'm going to ask that to be removed just for the sake of it's location.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 PM

You didn't half fail. You half succeeded! And you know know what you are going to do. Thatís a success in itself.

marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote