Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

For the love of God, wear a mask!

>

anonymouse

For the love of God, wear a mask!
Old 06-26-2020, 02:58 PM

I am watching the news and I can't understand the people I see on TV in big crowds in Arizona, Texas, and Florida not social distancing and not wearing masks. I live in NY. During the lockdown I dreaded answering my phone and checking email. It seems like every single day I learned that somebody else that I knew had lost a family member. There were days when the local newspaper ran 12 pages of obituaries. We had losses in our school family. A family friend lost his mother in law and a brother in law in the same week. A priest who had served in my church died. Several friends lost their mothers. I remember the heartache of someone telling me that her mother had died and she had 40+ grandchildren and they could only have 10 people at her funeral. One of my neighbors died and the family had to wait to bury her because churches were overwhelmed with funerals. Bodies were kept in refrigerated trucks for weeks at a time because it was overwhelming the funeral industry. And yet I still see crowds of people not social distancing and not wearing masks.

When I wear a mask I am protecting YOU. You wear a mask to protect me. We protect the vulnerable members of our communities when we wear masks. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. 121,000 Americans have died since February and still people refuse to wear a mask. It defies common sense.

Last edited by anonymouse; 06-27-2020 at 02:30 AM..
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-26-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It defies common sense.
Yes, yes it does.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

I'm not sure
Old 06-26-2020, 03:07 PM

why they seem to think they are invincible or why they think that the "wear a mask in public places" mandates don't apply to them. I am in Texas. We're *supposed* to be wearing masks in public places as per our town's mayor. I went to the store to pick up our groceries they other day and while waiting in the car, DS and I counted over 20 people going in or coming out that didn't have a mask in the five minutes we sat in the car.

I sure as heck hope that people get their heads out of their rear ends. I don't want to get sick on account of someone else's choice to be defiant.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-26-2020, 03:10 PM

My cousin down in FL runs a health and fitness business and is constantly posting on FB articles about how America is being duped and how "Covidiots" are sheep going to slaughter. It annoys me to no end. Someone who did business with them posted on there how dangerous it was for them to be posting like that with their line of business. It pisses me off terribly.

Other so called religious friends post that they aren't wearing masks because they can tell when they are sick and won't go out if that happens.

I traveled across the country a little over 2 weeks ago. MANY people are not wearing masks. I carried my own food to limit my exposure, so the only time I got out of my car was for gas and bathroom. Hand washing, hand sanitizer, and using clorox wipes on my car each time I stopped and I will do the same thing on the way back.

Some will say I should have stayed home, but I honestly needed to be with my parents a bit. They are old and infirm and I can't look back later and say I should have. I was as careful as I possibly could be and hopefully that is enough. I showed my dad how they should be using hand sanitizer when they are out (dr appts only with my dad doing grocery shopping).

Wear masks. Do as much as you can to protect the ones who need it the most.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-26-2020, 03:26 PM

This is a health issue. It never should have become a political one. Once someone stops wearing a mask it seems their social distancing goes away also. I wish the stores would step up and not allow people in without a mask

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

Old 06-26-2020, 03:29 PM

I was listening to the Daily podcast by the New York Times. They said that some people in our country has become so distrustful of anything mandated by the government. This has been a long time coming and many of the states now seeing surges (my state included) are having a hard time walking back their words since they ran on this agenda. Now they have to tell the very people that voted for them to listen to the government. I pray everyday that our country will come to some consensus and do the right thing. When a man that has dedicated his life to public health and has worked under 6 presidents tells me to wear a mask, I do it! I do not understand what is so horrible about wearing a mask and why the public good has to be so political.
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-26-2020, 03:44 PM

Or the people who wear it under their nose. I guess some probably don't understand, but I'm sure some are just wearing the mask to say they did, even though it's clearly not enough if your nose is exposed.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 06-26-2020, 04:05 PM

I will say that everyone is wearing their masks in stores and other public places here in MA. Our numbers are continuing to go down and I believe itís because everyone is wearing their masks. We were a HOT spot in mid April.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Ri
Old 06-26-2020, 04:15 PM

There is NO where you can go without a mask here. Grocery, drugstore, Home Depot, target, liquor store. Wear the darn mask!!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-26-2020, 04:22 PM

I was SO irritated logging onto FB and seeing debates about masks in school. The few teacher groups I am a part had more teachers whining about NOT wearing one. Dude. Literally, whether or not you think kids carry it blah blah blah, if there's a slight chance it will help protect them - and vice versa. Do it. Teachers need to feel safe as well. But like reading through some of those comments from teachers in FL as well "well it's not required so I can't - I care about my babies too much and they need to see me smile" Umm.. no. That logic doesn't apply right now - if you care about them, then you mask up. I am so thankful my school is letting parents know NOW, to have their kid practice wearing a mask for more than 30 minutes because it's required.

I am happy Newsom has mandated it and hope people realize that you NEED to wear it!

googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 06-26-2020, 04:27 PM

Yep, lots of people in my area arenít using them and think Covid is a hoax. Then we have the tourists. Tons of tourists and I know a lot of them arenít wearing masks.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 06-26-2020, 04:27 PM

I shared your message on FB. It is beautifully written. I agree, we all must help one another through this pandemic. I wonder what it will take to have people realize we must wear a mask/social distance.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-26-2020, 04:48 PM

People are stupid, stubborn, and think it won't happen to them and/OR they have this, "if I get it, I get it mentality".

I watched a few scary youtube videos about funeral homes being overwhelmed/ Sad, sad, sad.

I still haven't really started going out more than I have all these months, so all the more reason stay back at home!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 06-26-2020, 04:52 PM

Today during the task force briefing someone was asked about why someone else wouldn't wear a mask. The answer was about first amendment rights, free speech, and right to peaceful assembly.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 06-26-2020, 04:56 PM

I know... I simply donít get it!!!!!
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-26-2020, 05:14 PM

It defies common sense - BAM!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 06-26-2020, 05:22 PM

I wore my mask for 2 hours today while I got my hair colored. It. Was. Fine. I didn't pass out. I didn't die from lack of oxygen. I eventually forgot it was even on, until I unthinkingly went to scratch my face. People can be such babies.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-26-2020, 05:51 PM

I went on my first big non-essential shopping trip today with a friend. We went to probably 10 stores. We had a mask on all day long except when we were eating. It was 90į and humid. We were both fine. I do have asthma, but it is okay when my allergies are under control.

We were amazed at how few masks were worn.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Yep!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:56 PM

You can't have crazy without AZ.
Where we go - ya know all the exciting hot spots like the grocery store, Walgreen's, etc. everyone wears masks as it is now a mandate in our most populous county. They refuse to call it a law. Yet when Trump visited on Tuesday a mere two days after this went into place, the gov, ( who put the mandate in place) and all the Republican office holders did not wear a mask at the rally. It is a political act to wear a mask here. Just yesterday a Scottsdale city councilman was at a rally and during his speech, screamed I can't breathe over and over before he ripped off his mask. He claims he wasn't referencing George Floyd, et al and has apologized.
We have a special kind of lunacy here.
I do have to say that some of the footage the national news is showing is from Memorial Day weekend when (mostly) young people went crazy hitting the bars like it was spring break 1980.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 06-26-2020, 07:04 PM

Yes, I just don't get it either. Wear a mask and distance at minimum!! It's baffling to me. Are masks an issue like this in any other countries?
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Approved solution
Old 06-26-2020, 07:05 PM

A friend sent me this...
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-26-2020, 08:29 PM

^^^^^
to the above haha.
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

LuvMyRatties
Old 06-27-2020, 05:46 AM

Can we get some bumper stickers?
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Love my ratties
Old 06-27-2020, 11:10 AM

Oh my. That is perfect for all those who feel a mask offends them or the government is telling them what to do. Hmmm...what would be more comfortable, a mask or a ventilator?? Just wear the mask and be kind to others.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Kat
Old 06-27-2020, 01:29 PM

Wouldn't that be a great idea!
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 06-27-2020, 03:44 PM

I don't understand why people have turned this into anything but a health issue. Some people say this isn't real, that things were exaggerated. How do they explain all the deaths all over the world?
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-27-2020, 08:18 PM

Thank you, LuvMyRatties. I just posted it on FB.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote