How many of you are going to have to change your teaching style? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

How many of you are going to have to change your teaching style?

>

hikinghiker

How many of you are going to have to change your teaching style?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am very worried about this upcoming year. My district will be doing a hybrid learning. Half the class goes to school in person on Monday and Tuesday, then does online learning Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The other half does the reverse.

Traditionally, my classroom has always been a very flexible, exploratory learning based style. I don't do assigned seats. I use tables, floor space, carpets, and other seating like stools or benches. I never have assigned seats and students sit where they want. Naturally, most navigate to tables when writing, floor space when doing centers, etc. And my class is 90% exploratory centers. We do short 15 minute gatherings every hour or so to discuss, share learning, or have a mini lesson. And I conference with individual students daily. And this works for me. My test scores are always extremely high and my kids are all very independent and self-confident students by the end of the year.

This year I'm thinking that I won't be able to do any of that. My students will have to be at desks, will have to have assigned seats, will be unable to share center materials. I'm feeling a bit bitter too because me co-teacher already does this style of learning. The kids are at their tables all day doing paper work and he will barely have to change anything. It's so frustrating to me.

I genuinely am not sure how to teach this way. The thought of doing independent work or teacher directed learning for 8 hours a day is killing me.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm toying with the idea of individual 'subject boxes'. So their math box with include manipulatives, ten frames, whatever we're working on. And a reading box will include things like letter tiles, whiteboards, individual centers, etc. Then I can tell them to work on their box in an area 6 feet away so they still get that exploratory time.

Still, everything is going to be so different this year.

hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-08-2020, 11:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You just described me to a T! I've been feeling the exact same way, even to the point where some of the other teachers do a lot of seatwork and won't have to change nearly as much.

I feel like I am being asked to change 100% of what I do. My entire philosophy of teaching is being thrown out the window (not to mention everything I know of developmentally appropriate activities). Preaching to the choir, I know!

Right now I'm actually considering doing all whole group teaching, because I really can't figure out a way to do small groups or one-on-one. Like you, I'm planning on having a math manipulative box as well as one for ELA. Not sure exactly what they will have in them, but I'm not worrying about that stuff yet...

When they are finished with whatever activity we are doing, they will be able to get a free choice box to play with. I haven't decided if it's practical to try and make different ones for ELA, math, art, and play, or just mix it up and let them do whatever they want.

I'm planning on having a few things always available in their desk/cubby - journal, playdough, watercolors, pencil box (pencil, crayons, scissors, glue stick).

The thing I'm really worried about is that I usually have very good behavior because of how I run my classroom. I have the feeling I will have many more issues this year.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a big concern I have. My classroom involves a lot of small groups, movement, and partner work. This cannot be accomplished with the restrictions my state has introduced. The kids will be sitting in rows facing one way all day long. How is this healthy for students in k/1? How am I going to clean every item they touch? What happens if a student does not have a pencil or crayons and we canít share items? This is going to be interesting.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Yes!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes and yes! It is so good to have this board, to encourage one another. I know I said this in another post, but I am just so sad.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote