Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Am I the only one?

>

MACMama

Am I the only one?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 PM

Confession time. I absolutely hate to read. I will every so often if there is nothing better to do, but it is not my first choice. Now if Iím reading to a class or to my grandchildren, I donít mind. I enjoy that very much. But for me to pick up a book for myself and read for pleasure it doesnít happen. Anyone else? Am I the oddball?

MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I don't read much either
Old 07-08-2020, 04:48 PM

When I was teaching I almost always had a nonfiction read going that was about some aspect of teaching. If I read for enjoyment now it is usually historical or biographical. No fiction. So count me as an odd ball as well.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-08-2020, 05:07 PM

I don't think you're an oddball I do know lots of people IRL who hate to read (some of them live in my house )

That being said, I think many teachers skew more towards readings than some other professions might.

Full disclosure: I am a big reader- I can't think of a single time in my life I wasn't actively reading at least one book (sometimes more at once). I can't quite understand when people only read sometimes (it makes more sense to me that some people don't like to read). I read while brushing my teeth, when going to bed, when on a bus, when waiting for something to happen, etc. etc. Seriously. All. The. Time. I always have a book with me (usually digital now) to read during any down time. My mom used to get frustrated b/c I would read while sweeping the floor or vacuuming, cooking, doing dishes, etc. I still do those things Especially while cooking and watching TV. I think that might make me even more of an oddball than you, since apparently most people don't read quite that often.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Reading
Old 07-08-2020, 05:17 PM

I love to rsad. DH and many of my friends do not.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 07-08-2020, 05:21 PM

I have an upstairs book, a downstairs book and an ebook all going at the same time😂 however I know several people who also donít ever think of picking up a book. I donít think of them as oddballs, they just have different interests. I think my mother, being a big reader when I was growing up, was my influence. We went to the library all the time. She also went to hear authors speak and book signings . I followed in her footsteps.

momteach310 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-08-2020, 05:22 PM

I have a friend that refuses to read.

I love to read, but my book choices are don’t exactly make you think. I love brainless romances. Of course, I also like Agatha Christie so...

I don’t read the typical popular fiction.

But my mom loves to tell how, when I was a kid, I used to read with a flashlight under the covers and read way past my bedtime when they were out, thinking they didn’t know. My bedroom was over the garage so of course the knew.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-08-2020, 05:32 PM

I used to love to read. I have some eye issues that make it difficult. It really hurts that I need to struggle so more often than not, I just donít. It is too much of a reminder.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-08-2020, 06:34 PM

DH hates to read.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-08-2020, 06:38 PM

I love to read too. My DH will read fishing magazines only. My DD and DS both adults aren't big readers. My mom loves to look at old house magazines and my dad reads every newspaper and farming magazine he can find. I don't think I have ever seen my mom or dad read a book though. My brother isn't much of a reader but does look at hunting magazines. I have a few cousins who love to read and a grandma who was a big reader. I only read one book at a time. I have a paperwhite so it goes everywhere with me. I'm like Greyhoundgirl and don't usually read popular fiction. I am loving cozy mysteries right now thanks to you all. I usually read historical fiction romances. My dream is to tour a castle someday. I also like thriller mysteries but haven't read one in a while.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Book reading
Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 PM

I used to read all the time starting from when I was a young child.. Many hours were spent in the library and bookstores. Now months might go by when Iím not in the middle of a book.

Iím also a more picky reader. For instance, I just could not get through ďThe Book Thief.Ē It seemed to move so slowly that about one third of the way through I gave up. Everyone raved about it. That is my favorite time period in books and movies. As I get older Iím more selective with my time.

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-08-2020, 07:57 PM

I used to read all the time but now Iím very hit or miss. I find my attention span is shorter, so a book really has to be good to hold my attention. I generally donít like anything where I have to work too hard to follow the plot. I like fluffy reads. I will pickup something new by an author I know I like.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 07-08-2020, 08:42 PM

Well, maybe "oddball" in this crowd, but probably not in a sample of a broader group of people. I would imagine teachers tend to be readers because it's built into the job.

I'm in a family of readers, but there are a few of us who don't read a lot. My sister-in-law says she feels guilty when she reads - that there is always something else she could be doing. I get that - but I just love books too much! During the summer I usually have a book by nightstand, a book that I'm reading outside, a book by the couch, and an audiobook going. They are often of different genres so I can keep them separated in my mind. During the school year I usually just have two books and an audiobook at a time.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-08-2020, 08:47 PM

I used to read all the time. I would buy three books a week at Barnes and Noble and finish them all within a weekís time. Now, the only thing I seem to read anymore are the occasional news article, and posts on chat boards and Facebook.

I really need to start reading again because I did enjoy it. I am not sure why I have gotten away from it.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 PM

I don't hate it. I just don't really do it (for fun purposes). I do have some interesting novels here at home, but I just don't read them. I've read a few novels in my day before though. I did read as a child though.

I'm just much more of a TV and movie person. Also, maybe I just don't have the patience for it.

Before COVID though, SO and I would go to the bookstore quite often like every 2-3 weeks in which we'd gather magazines, sit, and go through them. We'd jot little notes or websites that were informative to look up later. We'd browse certain books too though.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

reader
Old 07-09-2020, 02:24 AM

I like to read. As a kid I loved it! As an adult, I don't think I have as much patience. I have only read a few books during covid (when I thought I'd have time to read much much more). I have a hard time tolerating some books which come highly recommended, but I feel are long and drawn out. I'm often remarking they need a better editor! Maybe I'll just return to the classics.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

Reading
Old 07-09-2020, 04:41 AM

I find that I enjoy reading books that are fun. I want something to make me laugh. Some of my friends love reading books about WW2 and how people survived Hitler. I just can't get into that. I HATE paperbacks. I would much rather read a hardcover.....and small sized one at that. I am not a fast reader and I will never stay up all night to finish a book. I have many friends that do. I feel like I am the oddball when they talk about the above mentioned. Oh well......I am happy with my choices so I guess that's what matters.

I could sit in a bookstore's children's section for hours reading kiddie lit
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

No
Old 07-09-2020, 12:48 PM

I have shifted from reading to listening to Audiobooks. I've listened to almost 40 since lockdown began. I stitch, do internet stuff, garden and do housework while I listen.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

I don't hate it, but...
Old 07-09-2020, 04:03 PM

I don't mind reading. I read all the time, just not a book. It's not my favorite thing to do though, and everyone gasps when I tell them that considering I'm an English teacher. haha

The thing with me about books is that I always feel the need to finish it, whether it's good or not. It makes me feel stressed until I have the whole book finished!
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-09-2020, 05:08 PM

My DH was never a big reader (we suspect he had some reading difficulties that were never addressed as a child in addition to being put in kindergarten too early), but he has become a big audiobook fan and finishes an average of 1 a week.

He just completed Moby Dick and East of Eden (both took longer than a week ) this summer in addition to a grab bag of John Grisham and Jack Reacher books plus a nonfiction on WWI.

I used to read non-stop and still do, just not as many books. I need to get back into the habit of having a book be the first thing I pick up instead of surfing the internet. I do love audiobooks though for all those mindless tasks you have to do.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote