Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

If you are still fully quarantining...

>

Sbkangas5

If you are still fully quarantining...
Old 07-09-2020, 10:26 AM

What will make you feel safe to start seeing people or going out again? A vaccine? What if it's only 50% effective like the flu vaccine? No more cases for a certain period of time? Or will you never feel it's okay to go back to "normal"?

I'm not trying to start a debate. Just genuinely curious because I am not a person that feels scared, and I want to just be back in my classroom without all of these safety measures that won't work (for kindergarten), but I want to have sympathy and understanding for those that do.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-09-2020, 10:32 AM

That's a good question. I think I would be more comfortable when cases start dropping off, plateauing maybe. It would seem less likely someone I come in contact with has it, statistically lower odds of getting it.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-09-2020, 10:50 AM

It's going to be a long time before I think it's ok to go back to the way things were before Covid. I'd feel more secure about a new normal that included outings and seeing people if cases were declining and everyone was wearing a mask. I'm very glad to be retired so I don't have to make a decision about school. I was a kindergarten teacher so I do sympathize with having to deal with either distance learning or enforcing safety measures.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Iím retired and donít need to think about school. For me, Iíd love to see consistent, effective treatments that work for the majority of patients.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 07-09-2020, 11:28 AM

My family and I are still very much quarantining ourselves. DH and both DSs go to work, I help out with an outdoor summer camp 2.5 hours a week. One DS has a small group of friends that get together a couple times a week at one of their family's farm and hang out in the shop area outside. The rest of us are home, however we do take frequent walks and go on bike rides on the trails. DH does all the grocery shopping every 14-18 days. We have not been to a restaurant our had takeout since the end of February. It will be a long time before I feel safe or even comfortable going to a restaurant, shopping or a mall. I am not sure what it will take for me to start to feel comfortable again. Maybe a vaccine and a definite drop in cases for an extended amount of time. It will be a long time.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-09-2020, 11:44 AM

I go back and forth. In June I went out some because things seemed to be going really well. Then when July hit numbers started to look really bad again and I got nervous, especially with all of the reports of younger people needing to be hospitalized. I don't have any family here and I am afraid of being hospitalized. I don't have any qualms about going to stores, getting take out, or even going to outdoor events/attractions, but I don't think it's safe to be "normal."

Then part of me thinks it's silly to stay in now when in 4 weeks I will be back at school. I think getting it at that point is inevitable, and I just have to hope for a mild case. I mean, how could I not get it inside a building with 500 other people for 8+ hours per day (7 with students), 5 days per week, many of whom are not taking any precautions whatsoever? A setting that is already a petri dish on a good day?

Part of it is also that I don't have any local friends who are doing the same things I am. Everyone I know has either decided they are over quarantining and is going to parties and other big social things with tons of varied people at least a weekly basis, obviously with no masks or distancing of any kind, or they are not going out at all and I guess think they're going to stay in their house for the next year or longer.

I wish I had friends here who are taking some precautions but want to do safer outings like things that are outdoors. My best friend from my hometown did visit a couple of weeks ago, and honestly that's probably the only thing that kept me from totally losing my mind this summer. She wants to find a middle ground like me. Unfortunately she's not local; if she was we'd be hanging out more in a safe way.

Last edited by Haley23; 07-09-2020 at 12:14 PM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-09-2020, 12:10 PM

I am waiting for outbreak to be under control. So far we are still in the first wave and cases aren't improving. Other countries seem to have gotten it under control.

We also need quick, cheap, easy testing that is readily available. I'll have to find the article, but a friend who's a Dr shared a promising looking test that's being worked on. It's cheap, quick results, and you just use spit. It would be amazing if we could all have these tests. We could test at home daily and a test could be required before entry to places of concern, like schools.

I am also wanting more research. It's hard to make an informed decision about balancing risks when we still know so little.

A vaccine would be great, but I'm not optimistic that it'll be a magical fix. ETA: like hand I'd also like there to be effective treatments.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-09-2020, 12:50 PM

I"m not fully quarantining but at the moment I really don't feel comfortable going back to school the way it was last August.
What would make me comfortable? Effective treatment. A sense that doctors/scientists have some grasp on the progression of the disease and a way to go about it. Right now there seems to be no effective course of treatment, no rhyme or reason as to who gets it and the severity of their disease, and no vaccine.
I"d like to have the sense that doctors and nurses aren't scared about COVID.
I'd like to know that the people I come in contact with are behaving responsibly (wearing masks, etc.) and will behave reasonably if their children have symptoms.
I haven't been scared before. We just had a big public debate/discussion of back to school plans. Now I feel kinda like gladiators: hail Caesar those who are about to die salute you
ETA: I went to an Urgent Care to see about a sinus infection (there's a rant but I'll save it) and made an off-hand comment to a nurse: "I feel like I'm overreacting with the covid thing." She looked me straight in the eye and said, "You're not."
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Definitely this
Old 07-09-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
What would make me comfortable? Effective treatment. A sense that doctors/scientists have some grasp on the progression of the disease and a way to go about it. Right now there seems to be no effective course of treatment, no rhyme or reason as to who gets it and the severity of their disease, and no vaccine.
We need time to figure this out, both researchers and the doctors and nurses in the trenches.

We need people to be smart and use common sense, although that seems futile at this point.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-09-2020, 01:42 PM

Iím still basically quarantined, but Iím a homebody to start. I still order groceries from Instacart and other things from Amazon. I figure I donít NEED to go get anything, so I donít need to leave. Since March 13, Iíve been to the doctor, CVS, and Home Depotís pick up lockers... I think Iíve been in a store maybe 5 times since the start. Why risk it if you donít have to?

UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 07-09-2020, 03:03 PM

We are in a place in my province where I feel fairly safe resuming normal activities. There have only been a handful of cases in the last 6 weeks, most of them people who traveled from other regions and self-isolated, as required. I am pretty confident that there is not community spread at the moment. Testing is readily available. We are pretty safe in our little Atlantic Canadian bubble and I am in no hurry to let anyone else in!

We are still being quite cautious. I wear a mask in stores. We are going into stores only when necessary. We are spending time (not socially distanced) with only my parents and brother. But we are starting to break out a bit - my husband went out for supper with friends the other night and we have been having park play dates.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 07-09-2020, 03:27 PM

Cruxian,

Quote:
made an off-hand comment to a nurse: "I feel like I'm overreacting with the covid thing." She looked me straight in the eye and said, "You're not."
I made the same sort of comment on the phone with my nurse sister last week when I was complaining and feeling sorry for myself because I can't/shouldn't go anywhere. I'm in a high risk group and was having a bad day of isolation fatigue. She gave me the exact same answer, then made me promise not to go to the grocery.

Gromit

Old 07-09-2020, 03:45 PM

If everybody would just do the bare minimum of keeping six feet apart, wearing a mask when near other people, and avoiding unnecessary congregating, I'd feel a lot better about everything.

If I had any kind of faith in the ability of public health departmebts to be able to do contact tracing and if I thought we were doing enough testing, I'd feel better.

If I thought the majority of the country cared about anyone but themselves and/or money, I'd feel better.

Earlier in the summer/spring, I was irrationally optimistic about the ability of Americans to come together and figure out a realistic plan for reopening school. Some sort of delusional wishful thinking, I guess.

Right now, I completely relate to the meme that some of us are doing all of the work on the group project.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 07-09-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Or will you never feel it's okay to go back to "normal"?
"Normal" is gone. COVID changes everything. People who think we will go back to "normal" are in denial.

Do I stay home hiding in my basement? NO
Do I wear a mask when out in public? YES
Do I get fed up with people who don't wear a mask to protect others? YES
It's an inconvenience, not oppression.

I remember the days before seatbelts in automobiles. I remember the days of riding a motorcycle without a helmet. I remember the days of people driving while drinking their beer. I remember the days of ashtrays in restaurants. I remember the days of advertisements for cigarettes on tv and no one worried about the health risks. We are being asked to wear a mask to protect others. It's.not.that.hard. I have a friend whose adult children are German nationals. You want to know why their numbers are so good and they can open their schools? It's because they MUST wear a mask whenever they are out and about. Fines were $25,000 if you were caught without one.

I limit trips out and make a list of what I need. We've ordered groceries online and gone to pick them up. We socially distance when we are around family or friends. I assess the risks before partaking in an activity.

What would make me feel safe? - An effect treatment. Identifying why some people are asymptomatic and others are severely ill with the virus. There really doesn't seem to be a rhyme nor reason. I had read a report that tied blood type to severity, but that was a small study and needs to be replicated. I don't know that I would trust a vaccine that is rushed to market. I'll let others go first.

Sorry if this reads as snarky. It's not meant to be. I'm just so tired of this divisiveness over a virus. This could have and SHOULD have brought this country together - a common enemy. But it has had the opposite effect, and it is exhausting to see what is happening.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Quarantining
Old 07-09-2020, 04:18 PM

Not really. We walk every day. We go out alone on our boat. We do shop very early in the morning. We do not really see anyone other than our daughters and grands. We feel safe staying home and not gallivanting about!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-09-2020, 06:20 PM

Some of the descriptions in this thread don't sound even close to "fully quarantining" to me (I mean descriptions by some who say they are quarantining, not those who say they aren't really doing that). I wouldn't categorize what we are doing in that way, but we are much closer to quarantining than what some here are saying is quarantining

5 people in my house. 1 works 5 days a week, masked. I see a person 1:1, 1-2 times a week for work (fully masked, with additional protections in place). Dh goes to the grocery story (masked) one or more times a week. Otherwise, the only time any of us go out is to take a walk (with 2 of us together) and socially distance while walking (no mask). I may see a friend for a socially distant picnic at some point in the near future, but other than that I'm not planning to do a whole lot in the presence of others. I'm not particularly scared, but I *am* pretty cautious.

I'm not sure what would make me go out into the world a lot more. Knowing precautions are in place and knowing the relative risk of certain situations enables me to make choice with which I am comfortable.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

crayon14

Old 07-09-2020, 06:59 PM

I only interact with my husband. I will take my dog for a walk with a mask on and go food shopping around the block with a mask on. That is it. I am in NYC where our numbers are very low and steady for now. My husband started going in to work about 2 weeks ago part time. I havenít seen my family since January and unfortunately itís just not safe to do so. I will not feel comfortable visiting family until the numbers across the country are going down and staying down. This is possible if people wear masks and limit interactions, but as we know that is not happening. While I am not necessary terrified of getting Covid, I am terrified of unknowingly passing it to my parents, grandparents, and immunocompromised coworkers and students. Personally I feel that it is ignorant and selfish for anyone not to be scared of this.
crayon14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Not really
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 PM

I feel like we are pretty at risk. My dh works in a prison where they have Covid cases. My ds works in a restataunt and his gf works in a home improvement store. So if any of us see the others (and obviously I see my dh and my ds) then we could potentially be exposed.

Our doctor and myself are 99% sure my dd 15 had covid in March before they were testing. So....who even knows. She has club soccer practice and school strength and conditioning going as well.

So I would say the only precautions we can really take is masks, lots of hand washing, and not going into large crowds just for fun.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-09-2020, 07:53 PM

Thank you for so many perspectives.
Quote:
"Normal" is gone. COVID changes everything. People who think we will go back to "normal" are in denial.
I have to disagree with this. People have very short memories. One year there is a deadly mudslide on a seaside cliff, and the next year people are building new homes on the very same place. I know that my example is not exactly the same, but you get my drift.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

safe?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:35 PM

An effective vaccine will make me feel better. Everyone wearing masks. I, too, remember smoking on airplanes, in restaurants, and the teacher's break room. No seat belts and crazily inadequate car seats for babies. We adjusted to those changes, but why can't people wear masks? I am staying at home with my DH and 92 year old mother. We order insta cart or online and my sister who goes to the store will pick up things. We have traveled to our house in a beach community, but we do the same thing there. Insta cart and stay home. No contact with anyone else. There will be a new normal, but it won't feel even close.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-09-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Some of the descriptions in this thread don't sound even close to "fully quarantining" to me (I mean descriptions by some who say they are quarantining, not those who say they aren't really doing that). I wouldn't categorize what we are doing in that way, but we are much closer to quarantining than what some here are saying is quarantining
That's a good point, GK. I wish the language around what we're supposed to be doing was more universal. Isolating, distancing, quarantining, etc. They all mean different things to different people.

I wouldn't consider what we're doing fully quarantined but it seems like more than mere distancing. I don't see other people most days of the week. I've been in the presence of people 4 times in the last 5 weeks, and each time was at least 6' or more away with masks and only twice was the encounter longer than a few minutes. DH still works but he works by himself in isolated locations.

I really want to have a front lawn gathering, and I have the space for everybody to stay 8-10' feet away from each other, but I'd feel better about it if I knew all the guests were also taking this as seriously as I am.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-09-2020, 10:38 PM

Good discussion topic!

I don't know what most consider to be "fully quarantining". I live with fiance' and we've only been with each other, no other friends, family, etc. yet. We go to grocery stores, walking in the park, and out for drives.

I honestly won't feel pretty comfortable again until there's an EFFECTIVE vaccine with no major side effects.

But I guess life will never be the same as before mid-March 2020, but I hope I'm wrong. This virus can be contracted in seconds yet with a long road of recovery, IF one recovers. From person to person, it's so varied in how it affects people.

Despite how things are, I don't want to live in fear. I want to be as happy as possible and try to have some enjoyment in life. My Mom will be 82 next month and so far, I'd like to drive by and see her at a distance. Will we ever hug again? Sadly, it's hard to say.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 07-10-2020, 04:06 AM

For some reason I feel the need to explain my family's situation in more detail.
DH- works in a factory, he changed his schedule to work late afternoon and nights to have the shared office space to himself. He takes his breaks, eats lunch at his desk or in his car. There are less than 20 people working in building at this time VS the 150 who would be there during normal business hours.
DS1-works in agriculture, spends 90% of his time in a truck, on a tractor or on a 4wheeler by himself. He comes home for lunch when he is close enough to home, otherwise he packs a cooler lunch. His small group of friends; one farms with his dad and are friends of ours. I know from conversation that they do not go out due to dads health and elderly mom living with them. The other friend is still in college and chose not to work this summer due to his mom having cancer, so they are not going anywhere either. When these guys get together they are outside working on cars or old tractors.
DS2- works summer job in same facility as DH, works only at night and in an area by himself on the assembly floor. All employees must wear a mask when leaving their contained area surrounded by plastic sheilds. Felt that was safe enough for him to work, he is college student. He also takes breaks in his car. He is not very social and stays in touch with friends through computer.
Me- 2.5 hrs a week to teach outdoor summer camp to 5 or 6 students for 5 weeks. Its done now.
Our walks and bike rides on the local county park trails would be considered crowded if we met one other person. I have not left our 5 acre country home since last day of camp in June. (oops, DH and I went for a drive to watch storm clouds last week so I guess I did leave our area) If we don't have a valid, life sustaining reason to go anywhere, we do not go anywhere. We have not seen any family or friends since Feb. I have not seen another human other than the 3 people I live with since the last day of camp in June. The only member of our family that does any face to face socializing is DS1, and that is extremely limited, but it is a good compromise. He would not even be doing that if we were not absolutely sure of the other families precautions. We live in very rural area, grocery delivery and curbside pickup are not available to us here. DH has no choice but to enter the grocery store if we want to eat.

This may not be true quarantine, but it sure as hell feels like it.

kahluablast

Old 07-10-2020, 08:11 AM

We quarantined very strictly from mid March to the end of May. My dh picked up food or small items in our small grocery. Our Covid numbers were pretty low- still are in our county. I did pick up orders for other items for larger trips.

With numbers low and the governor opening up a few things, we met our girls in the park for a take out dinner. Then we drove up to our mountain place. Same thing up there. Low numbers in the county. We went to the store to pick up supplies wearing masks. We did sit outside in a local restaurant toward the end of our trip. It felt weird, it we felt pretty safe and isolated.

I needed to go visit my parents. Older, it in good health and I felt like my caregiving dad needed a break of some sort. It seemed the best time to go, so I drove. Stopped only for gas and bathroom. Straight in, wash hands, and back out without touching anything. I did hug my mom and dad toward the end of my visit. We stayed home most of the time, but did go to my cousins for dinner. They both had been working from home the whole time, so it felt as safe as possible. My parents have been way too isolated. They both need a little stimulation for their brains, I truly believe.

Now after I returned my dh and I have taken a short trip. We have taken similar precautions, but have dined out a few times, mostly outdoors. We do outdoor things like bike and hike. We did do a river trip and were not comfortable with the ride to the drop off point, which was on a full bus of people not wearing masks or anything. Windows were all open, so hopefully that made it better. Otherwise, we have isolated, worn masks, and stayed out of stores. I would NOT drive back to see my parents after this trip without quarantining two weeks and getting tested, but I still feel like we have been good about what we do or donít do. Numbers are rising in our home state and this visited state. But we need to live, too.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote