Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone ever dealt with a family mental health crisis

>

hikinghiker

Anyone ever dealt with a family mental health crisis
Old 07-12-2020, 09:21 PM

Edit: Removed due to too much family info

Thank you for the advice! Luckily I didn't have to call, my mom called an hour later saying that my dad had finally called the police and they had arrived. It wasn't too peaceful apparently and he's pretty torn up, but it was the right thing to do.

Now we're just hoping for some more information and what caused this. If it was certain drugs or something mental or a combination.

Last edited by hikinghiker; 07-12-2020 at 10:42 PM..
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-12-2020, 09:29 PM

I'm so sorry your family is dealing with this. I would call the police myself. You don't need to wait for your dad to call, especially if you suspect he won't.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Yes
Old 07-12-2020, 09:36 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this turmoil. I have dealt with mental illness in my family. DS has had a few schizophrenic episodes, and deal with major depression and anxiety. He also does weed. It was shrooms that sent him over the edge. He spent 2 weeks in a psych ward.
First, no guilt if you need to call 911. Make sure they know you are dealing with mental illness. Many departments have specialized teams and routines to help.
Second, find your local chapter of NAMI. Their service is free, and are there to support families and clients. They will give you tools to deal with the fear., Confusion, and anger...and the myriad of other emotions you are feeling.
Deep breath. You are not alone.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Word to hear this
Old 07-12-2020, 09:52 PM

You have been given good advice. Are you able to talk to your dad? Do not feel guilty if you call 911.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 07-12-2020, 10:05 PM

Like others have said, you should call the police for the safety of your dad. You can do this by explaining the situation and asking them to do a wellness check on your sister. A number of years ago I got an email from a friend that was basically a "goodbye" letter, and I knew she'd been struggling with depression. Even though I was calling from across the country the police went out and checked on her, and she ended up going to the hospital on her own.

Sending all of my good thoughts for peace - for all of you.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Wow, that is a big change in a short time
Old 07-12-2020, 10:31 PM

It could be a physical issue causing her mental health to fail her. She needs to go to the doctor and get a complete physical to see if that is the problem. She may refuse to go however.

I would call 911 and have her committed for her own safety and your family's. Then she can receive the medical attention she needs.

Is there any chance there could be an air quality problem at the vacation home. That might effect her mentally. Or hidden mold? I know this is a long shot but I would have it checked just so you can eliminate the possibility.

Has she started any new medications lately? Maybe something for depression from the divorce? Sometimes people have bad reactions to medications.

Or maybe she is just having a bad reaction to the recreational drugs she has been using.

I hope you find answers for her sake and the rest of the family. I will say a prayer for all of you.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Hugs!
Old 07-13-2020, 05:43 AM

I missed the post, so I don't know what happened/what the situation is, but I just want to say that I am sending hugs, positive thoughts, and prayers your way!

I hope everything works out well!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Missed the post
Old 07-13-2020, 07:42 AM

Sending positive thoughts and prayers that everything will resolve
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote