Teachers' Lounge

Newsom shuts down indoor activities across California

>

amiga13

Newsom shuts down indoor activities across California
Old 07-13-2020, 11:43 AM

Read it here:
https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...oss-california

And congrats to our 2 biggest school districts, LA and San Diego, for declaring only distance learning in fall.

We can beat this.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 07-13-2020, 11:56 AM

I was sooo close to finally getting a haircut! My last appointment was in March - cancelled due to SIP. Next appointment is on Wednesday. Argh! More pony tails...
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-13-2020, 11:57 AM

Just heard that about LA and SD. Wow. I am praying that we still get to start in person on our modified schedule! Our city is still pretty low in terms of cases, and hasn't seen a spike even after reopening. People have been really good about protocols, so I'm hoping that things will get better over the course of the next month, not worse!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I was sooo close to finally getting a haircut!
I feel for you. When my DD just called to tell me the news, she said, ďGood thing you got a haircut.Ē Now I wish Iíd gone shorter.

Keltikmom

Newsom shuts it down
Old 07-13-2020, 12:13 PM

I was relieved to hear this. In the paper this morning, it was reported that Oakland and Contra Costa County school districts will not reopen.

Some hair salons will close, some not, ....depends upon the county. I got my hair colored and can live without a hair cut. Much rather be safe than attractive right now.🤪

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 07-13-2020, 12:18 PM

I don’t think they announced it for the entire Fall (I was super excited at first) - but it says August 10th, they’ll announce the plan for how to reopen campus. I wish it would be the entire fall because flu season but I’ll take opening online only for now! I cannot fathom being in a classroom right now so I’m thankful for this.
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-13-2020, 12:23 PM

googaleeebear, good point. And I feel for you with the uncertainty. But Iím putting my chips on Newsom and think that, for right now, LA and SD schools are doing the right thing.

sonoma

Old 07-13-2020, 12:27 PM

And I think everyone except orange county will follow
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-13-2020, 12:34 PM

Good!!!!!!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-13-2020, 12:42 PM

Oregon is doing a a walk back too although not as extreme. Masks required outdoors when you canít distance and no gatherings of more than 10. Thatíll close churches again.

Iím glad the schools have realized they canít safely open. Iím sad they (schools across the nation) havenít spent the last 5 months preparing for that. Even if distance learning turned out to not be needed this fall there are always circumstances of illness or natural disasters that close schools. How great would it be if all schools knew how to quickly roll out distance learning?

PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-13-2020, 01:15 PM

PoohBear, I dunno....I kinda think school systems are doing the very best they can under difficult circumstances to come up with the best distance learning plans they can. I know that while my school system is planning to go back in person at the moment (AHHHHHH) we've also been transitioning to a new more uniform system for distance learning, one that will provide continuity between schools instead of a site specific plans. So many teachers are working hard in a very fluid situation to remotely learn a new system on their own time and researching new methods to best teach virtually and in person.
It's still not going to be as good IMO as being in person but I know so many people and districts are working really hard on exactly what you've suggested.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-13-2020, 01:40 PM

I'm not saying that individual teachers, schools and districts are not working their tails off. I know they are. I blame the state and federal governments for not providing the proper leadership and direction. And maybe no one knew how bad it was going to get in the beginning but by April it was pretty obvious what was happening. At that point the school year should have been declared over nationwide and everyone should have started working on a plan for this year.

Again, not the teachers fault!!
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 07-13-2020, 02:42 PM

Uh oh..I have a hair appt. on this Wednesday. My state will probably fall in line with the other west coast states because it usually works that way. Dang!!!
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-13-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
How great would it be if all schools knew how to quickly roll out distance learning?
My neighborhood blue collar high school district was way ahead on this. 10 years ago they went to one to one laptops. Then as of seven years ago they no longer closed for snow days. Students were also allowed to check out hot spots to be used at home. I do hope that this will be possible for the rest of the county, too. Nothing beats in person education, but itís nice to be prepared for any scenario.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-13-2020, 03:44 PM

Can Florida borrow Governor Newsom? We’d take Cuomo too right now!
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Lilbitkm
Old 07-13-2020, 05:59 PM

You can have him. I'll even wrap him in in a pretty bow!!!
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

wouldn't it be wonderful. . .
Old 07-13-2020, 06:26 PM

if just one official whether it would be a political official, social justice representative, a high profile figure in the news that would actually encourage and convey the message that when the districts go virtual the PARENTS or caretakers have the responsibility to ensure that their child actively participates in learning. Whether they have 1 or 6 children or whether they work or not it still ultimately becomes the responsibility of the parent to set the stage or environment of learning AND be on top of it. If they show no participation will the student be SARB?

I'll vote for anyone that will set up a task force and go into areas of most need (projects, homeless shelters, etc) and tell the parents what THEIR role is in online learning,. (no longer voluntary I assume?) No one has addressed what will happen to those that don't participate. Who will teach them?

What a fabulous opportunity for Black Lives Matter and other justice organizations to assist in helping parents with all these children of high needs now that many school districts will be going virtual.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 AM

I work at a Title I school and a I fully understand the disparity online school presents for “my students.”

I also fully understands that the amount of services schools provide are asinine.
Why is the community/government not providing food, eyeglasses, clothing, etc to these families? Why do all of those responsibilities fall onto schools? And many times individual teachers.

That being said, I also fully understand that my health and my family are not less important because I am a teacher. I am not a martyr. This is a global pandemic, not a normal situation by any means.
We are not expendable because the U.S. has such income disparities and doesn’t have things in place to support their citizens.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 07-14-2020 at 06:48 AM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

You should tune in to Governor Cuomo's
Old 07-14-2020, 06:42 AM

daily reports. He has shown excellent leadership for New York State, once the epicenter of the virus and now moving into Phase 4 of opening.

All governors and Trump, especially, could take a lesson from him on how to be a leader.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote