Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Meal prep "survey"

>

kerrysgirl

Meal prep "survey"
Old 07-17-2020, 01:37 PM

I notice a lot of variety on the "what's for dinner" posts that pop up in the Lounge from time to time...Some of the menus sound absolutely gourmet and well planned, while others sound more like what I do--plan by the seat of my pants. While I can cook well, I often find myself moving from my plan due to time constraints, forgetting to thaw, etc. So, I'm being nosy about your cooking and planning...Care to answer the following?

1. Would you label your skills as a cook as amateur, well-trained home cook, or nearly gourmet?

Me: well-trained home cook.

2. Is every meal completely balanced, or do you sometimes leave out a food group?

Me: Sometimes things get left out, but I feel bad/guilty about leaving out the occasional veg.

3. How far in advance do you plan: every few days, a week at a time, more than 1 week at a time?

Me: I try for a week but I don't always stick to it.

4. How daring are you with your recipe choices?

Me: I want to try more adventurous things, but I worry we won't like the new item and we'll end up throwing it out.

5. Where do you get your recipe ideas (esp. if you have a favorite website)?

Me: allrecipes.com, usually. I'm never sure where to find something "new" and "interesting."

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 07-17-2020, 01:48 PM

1. Well trained home cook
2. Lunches and dinners are almost always balances with a meat/grain/veggie combo, fruit often as well, but breakfast is a free for all
3. I menu plan on the weekend, and make a shopping list for at least a week in advance.
4. We are pretty basic, adventurous for us would be trying a more veggie loaded dish, like a vegan meal, but not often new foods like obscure meats
5. I get on Pinterest and search the kind of meal I want, like ďchicken in crockpotĒ; I also follow some paleo/vegan friendly blogs, which Iím trying to incorporate more of those types of dishes in general to be healthier
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Meal Planning
Old 07-17-2020, 01:59 PM

1. Well-trained home cook

2. I donít balance every meal. Itís just me, so sometimes I cook just the main dish and do that. Sometimes I do the sides. It depends on my mood.

3. I try to plan weekly. I make a menu on Friday or Saturday and place a grocery order for pick up Sunday afternoon.

4. Iím becoming more daring. Iíve been trying to venture out on my meal choices. I get tired of my usuals.

5. Pinterest is my go to place to get ideas.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Old 07-17-2020, 02:01 PM

1. Would you label your skills as a cook as amateur, well-trained home cook, or nearly gourmet?
Experienced home cook

Went to college for a BS degree in Home Economics minor in child development. Majored in getting a MRS

2. Is every meal completely balanced, or do you sometimes leave out a food group?

There were decades when meals were balanced

3. How far in advance do you plan: every few days, a week at a time, more than 1 week at a time?
I have used a 4 week rotation of supper ideas, planned around on weekly sales and kids activities, not planning right now

not daring at all

I have gotten some good ideas here on PT, Pinterest and

dug out my ancient Cooking for Two cookbooks from our newly wed days.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 07-17-2020, 02:02 PM

1. My skills are adventurous well trained home cook. I am too lazy to be gourmet, but I think I could be if I wanted.

2. Sometimes I leave out a food group...heck, sometimes I have ice cream for dinner! But usually I make well balanced meals. I always did when I had a husband and kids to cook for.

3. When I cooked for my family I planned a week in advance. Now I am pretty free form. I keep a supply of good food, know my inventory, and decide as I go more or less.

4. I eat a wide variety of foods and enjoy trying new foods and combinations.

5. I have a collection of basic, vegetarian and vegan, and ethnic cookbooks, as well as a lifetime of methods, recipes, and experiences to draw from. And if I canít find what I want there, Google is my friend. Sometimes I just search on a combination of ingredients (like ďpeaches and black beansĒ) to find ideas for things to make with whatís on hand.

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-17-2020, 02:08 PM

2. Light on grains

3. Rarely more than 12 hours in advance. And that is for a slow cooker meal. I have a walk in pantry, 2 refrigerators and a large chest freezer with a 1/2 beef. I also get a mystery produce box weekly.

4. I’m more adventurous than my family.

5. I rarely use recipes. I’m quite good at pulling ingredients together. I also cook large quantities and we eat a lot of leftovers and repurposed leftovers. Ie leftover roast becomes beef and noodles or soup or stir fry
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 07-17-2020, 02:10 PM

1. Experienced home cook.

2. I try for balance, but don't always achieve that.

3. I don't plan. I keep our freezer and pantry stocked and buy sale items. I just cook what we have ingredients for. We grocery shop every 2 weeks or so.

4. Not daring at all. I don't have time to try new recipes. But I have a huge variety of meals I know how to make.

5. When I'm looking for a new recipe I google some ingredients I have and then go down the rabbit hole of internet sites.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Cooking
Old 07-17-2020, 02:44 PM

1. Well trained home cook. Mostly plant based. I have a binder with fabulous recipes!
2. Balanced. Always veggies. Always healthy.
3. I try to plan for at least two weeks. Then I make a shopping list for those meals!
4. I try new things all the time...
5. Pinterest. Minimalist baker recipes. We love plant based ideas. Also, we eat some fish for the omega 3ís.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 07-17-2020, 02:54 PM

1. Experienced home cook (I'm a better baker, but have decent cooking skills)

2. Dinners are mostly balanced, with the odd off night. Lunches and breakfast we are working on.

3. When I am on my game, I plan a week at a time, deciding which meals will go on which day a few days ahead. I am contemplating instituting some type of meal rotation for the fall when I go back to work.

4. Not very daring. DH and I are fairly plain eaters and the toddler is very picky and skeptical of anything new. We have been slowly trying out some new veggies and I intend to work in some plant based protein. The baby will eat anything right now so I'd like to use that to expand everyone's palates.

5. I do occasionally use cookbooks (Joy of Cooking, Pioneer Woman) and magazines (Family Circle, Parents, Food Network)
Some favorite recipe sites are The Kitchn, Our Best Bites, Simple Bites. I often just search what I'm looking for on pinterest
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-17-2020, 02:54 PM

2. My breakfast and lunches are well balancedó primarily plant based. DH and I do our own thing for those meals. For the most part, supper is well balanced, but might just be something like burgers on the grill ( as in tonight )

3. I fit in that category as some others mentionedó I have a well stocked pantry and freezer so meal planning is done on a day by day basis. I generally try to think of a supper idea in the morning so if I need to thaw something I can. Since COVID I only do major shopping once a month and supplement every week with fresh fruit and veggies from our little local store.

4. I am a very adventurous eater, DH is not so hence, I eat those fun meals for breakfast or lunch.

5. I have a cookbook that I have compiled with recipes from various online sources. I also have a good friend who will send me links to great recipes she has tried.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-17-2020, 03:03 PM

1. Well-trained home cook.

2. No, not always balanced

3. I typically plan for a week, but we don't always stick to it.

4. Not at all. I have 4 picky eaters. It isn't worth the effort to be daring when no one else will appreciate it.

5. Family traditions, friends, some online--no particular website.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 07-17-2020, 03:17 PM

1. Well-trained home cook.

2. They're usually completely balanced. That's important to me.

3. 1 week at a time.

4. I love to try new recipes!

5. Pinterest mostly, sometimes magazines.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-17-2020, 03:41 PM

Me: on a scale of one to 10 a 5

Me: somewhat balanced but occasionally the grain group is left out.

Me: We stock up on three or four meat and fish items in the freezer and each morning I take out what seems like a good idea for that day.

Me: I usually do try something new about once a month or so. I do not find it fun to work for more than one hour for dinner. If it can get done well in under one hour I will try it.

Me:
I have had lots of success with the stayathomecook website. I love to watch her cook.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 07-17-2020, 04:28 PM

Me: I donít think I ever hit all food groups in every meal

Me: I decide that morning

Me: I stick with the tried and true

5. Where do you get your recipe ideas (esp. if you have a favorite website)

Me: family cookbooks
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-17-2020, 04:39 PM

Semi pro baker

When itís just me I tend to snack rather than eat traditional meals. When Iím cooking for others my meals are balanced.

I plan and prep a week at a time.

Most of my friends and family are adventurous. I donít like cooking boring food

5. Where do you get your recipe?

Many are adapted from old recipes from my grandma who was a caterer. When Iím not baking I like to invent as I go along.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 07-17-2020, 05:25 PM

Iíd say well trained home cook. I like to say Iím not a fantastic cook but I can do the basics very well.

I always have a protein and a veg bc DH is def a real meat and potatoes type. Now Iím doing this fast metabolism diet so I just follow whatever food groups it tells me for each meal.

A week or two at a time.

Not adventurous at all.

5. Where do you get your recipe ideas (esp. if you have a favorite website

Pinterest. Lol. Or currently my fast metabolism diet book.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Old 07-17-2020, 05:44 PM

Me: Experienced home cook? I tease "You know that show on TV 'Semi-Homemade?' My style is 'Not Quite Store Bought.'"

Me: Depends on my mood and our taste at the time...More than once, I have looked at a prepared meal and think that Betty Crocker would not approve...

Me: I try to pick out 3 or so main meals for the week and go from there.

Me: I want to try more adventurous things, but I usually gravitate back to the old tried and true choices.

Me: It depends. I have tried some of the ones that pop up on my FB feed-no particular website that I've noticed. (I mean to try more but...) I occasionally try recipes from friends or relatives.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Old 07-17-2020, 06:29 PM

1. still developing home cook
2. Almost every meal is completely balanced.
3. I buy staples and vegetables for one or two weeks, but plan only on the day of the cooking.
4. I usually try one new recipe a week.
5. Recipe ideas: plant based websites like Vegan Richa, Minimalist Baker, Brand New Vegan, Monkey and Me, etc.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-17-2020, 06:58 PM

1. I'm a divergent eclectic cook. Sometimes it's fabulous, sometimes it is unimaginative and then I get into ruts.

2. Yes, I always try for balance, especially since our garden is producing so many fresh foods.

3. I plan 3 or 4 meals a week and the rest of the time we eat left overs with perhaps a fresh side.

4. I only try new recipes when we have company, but then I get stressed out because it is a new recipe. I also need to find low sodium meals.

5. I like Chef John for new recipe ideas.

Honestly, I am so tired of cooking for the last 45 years that I would love if someone else did it. I love to bake, though.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 07-17-2020, 07:01 PM

adventurous home cook with good kitchen skills

always well balanced with 75-80% vegetable matter

Every Saturday, Man and I make a plan for the week. He decides on the protein, I decide how to cook it.

It depends on the day but I'm willing to try new things.

I follow a lot of cooking sites on Facebook. My current favourite is Bon Appetit.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-17-2020, 07:33 PM

We are both well-trained home cooks. However, we can try some more gourmet types of things. DH is a more adventurous cook. Iím a more adventurous baker. We arenít afraid of the kitchen.

We try to balance, but Iím not a meat fan. Iíll take a bite or two and be done.

We plan a menu every Sunday. We use mostly things we have on hand. We keep a well stocked pantry because we only have one small store in town. We are far from anywhere with more than basics.

Iím a daring cook, but not a daring eater. DH is a daring cook and eater. We like to try new things.

I have so many cookbooks. I love them. Iím also really bad at following a recipe. I almost always change things up.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

cooking survey
Old 07-18-2020, 02:06 AM

Fun survey!

Me: Try for balanced but when in a funk, cereal with fruit sometimes is all we can muster<!--

Me: Every few days.

Me: I like to experiment, especially in the summer with our fresh picked veggies from the garden. But we have some traditional recipes to fall back on too.

Me: Google searches, some cookbooks and Pinterest.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 07-18-2020, 05:41 AM

Well-trained cook

Yes, every meal is planned with an eye to good nutrition. I only end up making poor food choices when I'm too busy (or think I am) to cook.

At least a week. Recently, more like two. I write my main meal menu on a whiteboard in my kitchen.

Quite daring. I like a variety of ethnic cuisines. I'd say I try a new recipe, ethnic or other, at least 3-4 times a month.

I have a variety of sources. Sometimes I'll just search a collection of ingredients that I need to use up and see what comes up. Some of my most used websites are:
https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/recipes/
https://www.thekitchn.com/recipes
http://eatyourselfwell.com/favorite-recipes/
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Cooking
Old 07-18-2020, 12:48 PM

Between well-trained early gourmet. Other people pay me to cook for them

I aim for balance for food groups and colors.

A week at a time

Iím always willing to try new things. Sometimes they are a 10 and others blahhhh

Pinterest
All recipes
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote