Help

Teachers' Lounge

Returning from maternity leave or leaving teaching

>

summerteach1

summerteach1

Returning from maternity leave or leaving teaching
Old 07-19-2020, 09:45 AM

Hello! I have been on maternity leave for serveral months with my first child and I'm debating whether or not to return because of Covid-19. My original plan was a combination of having my husband watch my child and daycare. Covid-19 has sort of turned this plan upside down and now I am thinking about resigning.

I am first and foremost worried about the risk of contracting and then spreading Covid-19 to my family, students and colleagues. I would be working with multiple classrooms of elementary students each day.
Whether the job is in person, hybrid, or remote this is not going to be the same job as the one I left. Returning from maternity leave to the job I know how to do is probably tough enough and now returning to a job that has changed drastically is something I am more and more hesitant about; especially with the threat of Covid-19. I feel hearbroken about possibly leaving my school and these are hard decisions and the right one may be not coming back. If I was not on maternity I would probably be able to deal with the changes of remote learning or all the in school safety protocols better because I would be able to focus more. Even so, I might still be hesitant to return.

Are there other teachers who went on maternity leave recently and have feelings like this?

Have your plans to return from maternity leave changed because of Covid-19 or are they staying the same?

eeza

returning after maternity leave
Old 07-19-2020, 02:59 PM

I don't have this exact situation, but I decided to not go back because I'm pregnant. The job is stressful without COVID being present and I don't need the extra stress now or after the baby is born.

You could look into taking an unpaid leave as well.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Resign
Old 07-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Everyone would understand, and in a year or two you could reapply for a job opening. Donít risk it. It is temporary.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 07-19-2020, 03:33 PM

I have been on maternity leave since October (I'm in Canada.) I am going back to work as planned this fall. There are a lot of factors at play for our family though.

I don't have a permanent position and had to apply for jobs, getting one on pretty much my last chance. I pretty much have to go back to have a shot at continuing my teaching career. When I wasn't sure I'd have a job, I was doing a lot of serious thinking about staying home or looking for a non teaching job rather than subbing.

We are going back fully in person (as the virus is well under control here) and I am somewhat apprehensive. Teaching K and having my kids in daycare leaves us quite vulnerable. I trust that we will shut down if things get bad, but I worry about that possibility since I didn't get any experience with distance learning this spring (and it sounds near impossible for K french immersion.)

If you can afford to stay home, it may be worth it for your peace of mind. Or explore if you can take a years leave of absence.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-19-2020, 03:38 PM

Looking at it from another perspective, if you can afford to take an unpaid leave of absence for a year, you will never regret having that time with your baby. I resigned my position at the end of the school year when we were adopting our first child and did not go back until my youngest was 3.

prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-19-2020, 04:04 PM

If I were in your shoes and could afford to leave I would in a heartbeat. This year is going to be so stressful in so many ways. You won't regret the time with your baby if you are able to take it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Leave
Old 07-19-2020, 04:11 PM

Here in WV, I had maternity leave, then took a year unpaid leave of absence. With that I was guaranteed to return to my position. I could take the second year on unpaid leave, but would only be given a job in the county somewhere. I would look into a year unpaid leave and see what happens with covid and your finances.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Iím home now
Old 07-19-2020, 06:27 PM

I had my son in Dec 2018. I was on maternity leave the Winter/Spring 2019. I went back to finish after Spring Break to the end of year in June 2019. Then I resigned. Obviously I had no clue about Covid occurring this school year but Iím so grateful that Iíve been home during this time. In addition to the safety of being home, I havenít had to worry about remote teaching while home alone with a young toddler. (My husband is an essential worker and my son is 19 months old now).

If you can afford to stay home I would in a heartbeat.

Thereís also a lot of teaching on-line opportunities. The hours are flexible and might be worth looking into.
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 07-19-2020, 08:19 PM

In my district, you can take an unpaid maternity leave for up to 2 years, but you usually don't get your old job back. When you return, you must take any available job for which you are certified. If possible, a maternity leave would be much better than resigning, since you would probably maintain your seniority and pay scale if you decide to go back.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote