Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

3 Year Old with food allergies

>

Teacherbee_4

3 Year Old with food allergies
Old 07-19-2020, 05:40 PM

My cousin is coming for a few days and we plan to hike, be outside, etc...doing things where we can still social distance and be safe. I haven't seen her in over a year, which is the longest I've gone without seeing her in my whole life. Her 3 year old son is coming, too. He has some food allergies. He has a peanut allergy, though it's not so severe that others can't have peanuts/peanut products. He's fine if others have him, but he can't eat them. I know they avoid things with peanuts or made in a factory with peanuts for him though. He also has a milk allergy. I'm not sure how severe that is. My cousin is planning on bringing some things and getting some things at the store, too, but I'd like to have some things on hand for her son, too, just in case. Any ideas what would be okay for him? She won't be getting in until supper on Thursday, so I'd like to have a supper he can eat in case she can't get to the store right away or he's not hungry for what she packed.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can get for supper for him or some snacks for him? Obviously for snacks, I'll have plenty of fruit on hand. Any other snacks or main dishes? I'm not sure if it's just milk or all dairy, but if it's just milk, I thought bread and cheese for grilled cheese. I also thought if it was just milk and not cheese, Mac and cheese would be fine and we could use soy milk (which I have). Another idea was frozen chicken nuggets. I've seen them in dinosaur shapes, and I know he loves dinosaurs. Other ideas of what would be safe for him? If you have kids with food allergies, I would especially love your advice/ideas!

Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 07-19-2020, 05:47 PM

Food allergies can be very specific. To be safe, you need to talk to your cousin. Itís kind of you to want to be a good hostess to them, but for safety you need to let her choose the foods. Iím sure she can tell you what would be safe to have at your house for dinner that night. Heís a lucky little boy to have an aunt who loves him so much!
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Easy Dinner
Old 07-19-2020, 06:21 PM

I would make something easy and child friendly after checking with your cousin. You won't know exactly what time they will arrive so something you can make quickly like grilled cheese sandwiches or make ahead and reheat like mac and cheese would be my choice.

I would ask if he eats white bread or whole wheat so you will be ready with toast the next morning. Does he like jelly on his toast? What flavor?

Does he eat eggs? If he can eat eggs that makes breakfast easy.

What is his favorite fruit? I would have some of that ready for him.

Maybe ask what he normally drinks? Just water? Juice? Or almond milk? I would make sure to have some of that as well.

Good luck! Enjoy your visit.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 07-19-2020, 06:26 PM

My kids have a dairy allergy, and likely it’s all dairy, not just milk for your cousin’s son too. (Though I would double check!) Here are some easy things they like (just always check the allergen warnings in the ingredient list):
Ham/turkey and avocado sandwich
Chicken nuggets and tater tots
Tuna salad (we do tuna, avocado, and mayo)
Oatmeal
Cereal and almond milk (or soy)
Eggs
Spaghetti
Hot dogs/hamburgers

Snacks could be teddy grahams, Oreos, fruit/veggies, fig bars, crackers

Last edited by KatieViolet; 07-20-2020 at 03:54 PM..
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-20-2020, 03:24 PM

I like the idea of Chicken nuggets shaped like dinosuars.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 07-20-2020, 04:01 PM

As the grandma of a child with a dairy allergy, read all the ingredients before you serve something. Many breads have milk in them. Chicken nuggets would have milk in the breading. My granddaughter canít have any type of milk including milk that is baked into things. There is another type of allergy where baked milk is OK, but straight up milk products like cheese and stuff is not. I think I would play it safe and ask mom what brands specifically you can use.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 05:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll ask my cousin. I figured that would be the best route, but I thought I'd check first!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote