Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Airline cancellations

>

PrivateEyes

Airline cancellations
Old 07-20-2020, 10:31 AM

So, we had to cancel our Ireland trip due to COVID, and we got a travel voucher for future travel. I would prefer to get a refund of our ticket in full. I am pretty sure there was no flight between Washington DC and Ireland on Aer Lingus in June, so they really should give me my money back, right? But how do I confirm that? Does anyone know a way to see if a particular flight actually flew?

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-20-2020, 10:32 AM

From what I understand, from my experience and others, if YOU cancel you get a credit. If they cancel you get a REFUND.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisL77

Old 07-20-2020, 10:36 AM

I donít think any flights have been going into Shannon. But I know flights have been going into Dublin. Where were you meant to fly into?
ChrisL77 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

We were supposed to
Old 07-20-2020, 11:01 AM

go from Washington, DC to Dublin. I don't think Aer Lingus is flying out of DC, and hasn't been for awhile.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Aer Lingus is an EU carrier and may follow EU rules which in some instances are different from USA rules.

The timing of the cancellation may come into play. If you cancelled the trip before they cancelled the flight, you may be stuck with the voucher. A friend had flights for Aer Lingus in April. They were advised to wait until a few days before to cancel to see if that particular flight was cancelled or not. Aer Lingus cancelled the flight and they asked for, and received, their money back. They were told that if they cancelled and the flight was still scheduled to fly, they would get a voucher. (not sure of the validly of the advice they got, but it is what she has said)

If you originally booked through a travel agent, they should be able to tell you if that flight was cancelled.

marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

All I know is that when
Old 07-20-2020, 11:03 AM

our trip to Hawaii was messed up and what the airline gave us was not adequate, my sister just talked to the representative and with a sweet smile and really polite, but ended with a nice, I'm sorry that isn't good enough is there someone else who could help me. She kept writing very polite letters/emails and "worked up" the food chain and managed to get a lot more than just a refund. I don't think you need to take what you are first offered.

Good luck! Keep on keeping on, fight the good fight.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

China
Old 07-20-2020, 11:18 AM

Delta did give us all our money back. We filed a complaint with the department of transportation and magically got all our money back. We hope to plan another trip to China in a few years.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 07-20-2020, 12:35 PM

No advice. Just saying I understand the disappointment of a lost trip. I would be upset if the airline didn't refund my money if I felt I was entitled to a refund.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 07-20-2020, 02:51 PM

Our Iceland trip was cancelled. They are giving us vouchers only. But they are good till December 2022 and that may be extended to December 2023. So I know we will go eventually.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

airline refund
Old 07-20-2020, 03:24 PM

I had to FIGHT to get a refund. They cancelled our flight but then booked us on another one. I claimed they cancelled it and they said it was a reschedule. I contacted DOT and that didn't seem to help at first, but in the end I got my money back.

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-20-2020, 06:40 PM

We had a tour scheduled for September. We had already decided we werenít going, but were waiting for the company to cancel as we wanted to avoid cancellation penalties. They finally did. We had the choice of getting all of our money back (tour and flights) or taking a voucher for full cost plus $200. On Friday we told them we wanted the refund.

The flights were booked with the tour company so they will cancel them. But, they are not cancelled yet, as today we got a notice from the airline that the flight times had changed. Ironically, the new flight times are better than the ones we originally booked.Too bad we canít use them.

We originally booked with a travel agent so we cancelled through her. She said it was one of the easiest cancellations she had done. She said she has spent hours with some companies, but this took less than a half hour. I have always been happy touring with Globus and am now happy with the treatment we received when cancelling during a pandemic.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

travel
Old 07-21-2020, 05:43 AM

So if the airline cancelled the flight, you are due a refund. This is true for any flight operating to or from the US or a US airline. Since your flight was leaving the US, the Dept of Transportation rules apply.

If you talk to Aer Lingus and they refuse to offer a refund AND they were the ones who cancelled the flight, you can file a complaint with DoT. I did this for my flight on Turkish Airways. It took about a month after filling in the complaint form for DoT to get back to me. Then they said that my complaint was valid and they would contact Turkish (And Expedia as I booked third party). Turkish responded within about 6 days and said they were looking into it. And then 3 days later told me I'd be getting a refund on my credit card through Expedia. I talked to Expedia and they confirmed as well. It will take up to 8 weeks to happen, but it is happening. https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm

If you cancelled the trip first and then later Aer Lingus cancelled the flight, you probably can only get the voucher unless Aer Lingus is agreeable. Or if they had a Covid cancellation policy in place.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote