Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How do I pare down my clothing?

>

bookgeek59

How do I pare down my clothing?
Old 07-22-2020, 12:50 PM

Pretend for a minute that we're back in our classrooms, and all is well. Big stretch, I know. What are you wearing?

I have WAY too many clothes. I don't have 2 separate wardrobes, work and non-work like some of you might. How many of each should I have for WORK? Keep in mind if it's not on the list, I either don't own it/them, or have it/them under control.

-pants
-capris
-shorts
-short sleeved tops
-long sleeved/3 quarter tops
-t shirts (appropriate for work)
-tshirts (not for work)
-cardigans/jackets

bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-22-2020, 12:58 PM

It depends on what you have for seasons. I need stuff for all seasons in NH. I would say at least five of each item, maybe 8-10? That will get you through a week or more without having to do laundry. I also think you can get away with less bottoms and more tops.

I would also make sure the pieces mix and match with each other so you might want to look at color or style also.

I know I have way more than five of many of those items haha. And that's after sorting through things several times over the last couple of years.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-22-2020, 01:00 PM

Maybe you should keep more articles of clothing than you think and it's just about reorganizing your closet so it's easier to put together work outfits.

Do you organize your closet by color, long sleeve, short-sleeve, and each type of bottom together by color?

Otherwise, if you do want to pare down, how about at least having 14 days worth of pants and two different style of black, grey, brown/tan pants. Then 3-5 skirts, 3-5 dresses, 3-5 cardigans, and 2-3 jackets/coats. Then keep about 15-20 tops (which is 3-4 work weeks' worth).

To make things easier, you can keep all the colors of everything so that anything can match together.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-22-2020, 01:01 PM

Here is what I keep:

-pants 7
-capris 3
-shorts 5
-short sleeved tops 10
-long sleeved/3 quarter tops 3
-t shirts (appropriate for work) 5
-tshirts (not for work) 5
-cardigans/jackets 4/2

I usually only wear short sleeve tops/t=shirts. It was always hot in my classrooms.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I agree with klarabell
Old 07-22-2020, 01:43 PM

Her numbers look good. I would add a couple of dresses. Or skirts .

I tend to buy neutral type pants- white, black, gray, taupe.......That way I can wear my tops with any of the bottoms.

For short and long sleeve tops I look for prints that have a pretty color but I also have a short sleeve and long sleeve white button down blouse.

I also like to have a couple of nicer tank tops in neutrals.

So all my clothes tens to mix and match well.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 07-22-2020, 02:54 PM

1. Do you really wear all the clothes you have? That would be the first thing I did - any that you haven't worn in 2 years, get rid of them. If you haven't worn them in that long, chances are that you're not going to wear them.

2. Are any of your clothes outdated, faded, or just too worn looking? Toss those, too.

We have a rule in my house (well, DH and I) - if you buy an article of clothing you get rid of an article of clothing. It helps so much with purging frequently!

That may not be exactly what you're asking, but I thought I'd throw it out there to help with lessening your clothing supply.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I don't try for a specific number
Old 07-22-2020, 02:55 PM

I just went through my own closet. I truthfully need to do it again with more intent. I don't have a separate wardrobe for work and leisure and generally don't for the seasons. I adjust my indoor temps and/or layer more in cooler months. I do have a few items that are
season specific due to color, etc but not many.

First, I started on one side and went straight across touching every item. If I love it or need it, I kept it.

If
I don't love it
doesn't fit right
doesn't feel right (I'm a sensory person)
wrong coloring for me
stained, pilling, or in need of repair
hard to wash, dry or iron
barely worn at the present
not my style now
had a similar/duplicates (I only need so many black shirts or sweaters...)

It went to the Thrift store pile... I got two big baskets out of it.

Now I followed an old, old trick. I turned all of my hangers the wrong way on the rod. The premise being that when I remove something to wear, when wash it and return it, I'll put it back on the rod in the normal position. In 6 months or whatever, any hanger still facing the same way means I haven't worn it.

This works for me if I stick with it. I also try to follow the one in, one out rule when I bring in new items. I am not so consistent with that one.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 PM

I think it's all personal preference. I will need new work clothes if we are in fact going back (as of now we are, but who knows) because I've lost weight. Previously I had a couple of pairs of dress pants and some skirts/dresses. I've finally figured out that I like the idea of skirts/dresses, I think they look nice, but I don't actually like wearing them . I find pants to be significantly more comfortable.

So for this year I'll get 4 pairs of dress pants (jeans allowed on Fridays) and then probably 8-9 tops to rotate in and out with them. Many of the tops I have could be worn outside of school as well if I just pair them with jeans instead of dress pants.

Because I'm really not convinced this in person thing is going to stick, I may get 2 pairs of pants and just do a load of laundry mid-week. Teachers go back soon, but for PD/work days we can wear whatever so I'm not buying anything right now. Students don't return until the very end of August. I will probably wait until the weekend before that happens if it is in fact still happening. If things are looking really bad then, I might even just pin some of the pants I already have and see how the first few weeks go before even buying anything.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote