Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Nervous about perimenopause...bit tmi

>

Katluv

Nervous about perimenopause...bit tmi
Old 07-22-2020, 12:47 PM

I just turned 51 last week. I have been on BC pills forever just to keep my cycle regular. Last summer my GYN had me stop taking them to see if I was entering menopause at all. Well, lo and behold I had a SUPER heavy and awful period last July while on vacation after stopping the pill (I also had horrible hot flashes). My doctor put me back on and said we'd reevaluate this summer.

I finally got around to calling her office today and she's out for a month. The nurse told me to go ahead and do a trial run of stopping the pill to see what my body does before my appointment in late August. So, I imagine in the next few days old aunt flo will be visiting. Luckily most of my vacationing is done except for a few days in mid-August.

I checked to make sure I have enough female supplies on hand and just ordered my hotflash supplement from Amazon which I couldn't live without. It will be here Friday. Needless to say, I'm nervous about what could happen. I do want to know what my body wants to do but I tell you, that period last July was something else. I thought I was going to hemorrage to death (which I had never had a period that heavy in all my years of life). Do women my age HAVE to take hormone supplements? I really don't like taking a bunch of meds but don't want to gain weight and/or be miserable either, especially going back to work in a month!

Wish me luck. This could be a very rough next week!

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-22-2020, 01:01 PM

I also am 51. For 2 years, my body was trying to tell me it was time....I went 4 months no period and OBGYN gave me a hormone to take to start up period--because "you don't just stop"--I really had no other symptoms to speak of. Took it, period started up and continued for about 4 months then no period of 9 months (I didn't tell her cuz I enjoyed not having it!) Had period for a few months and then went a year--ceasing this May!

*I kinda wanted to rub her face in the fact that I "just stopped", but it's hard to do that when everyone's wearing masks, and I'm trying to get quickly out of the office.

I was warmer than normal the past year, but no hot flashes. I did start having hot flashes this May....very short-lived, less than 5 minutes and VERY mild--i'd have about one a day. I've actually gone almost a week without one. and I can't seem to get to sleep--I sleep well once I get there, but going to sleep has been a real bear! I don't need anything for the hot flashes (yet?) but it would be nice to go to sleep at bedtime, especially with school about to start. OBGYN said she'd prefer to not put me on hormones since there can be so many side effects, that I should try melatonin--hasn't really worked for me, Benadryl, or unisom.

a good friend, though, takes hormones because of her trouble sleeping (obvs different doc).
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-22-2020, 01:08 PM

I would not do hormones, I had a bad side effect - blood clots in my lungs.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I didn't take hormones.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:32 PM

I was glad I didn't because when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was told that it was estrogen positive, meaning my cancer was caused by estrogen. If I had been on hormones, my cancer could have been worse.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 07-22-2020, 02:42 PM

I did "just stop" at 51 and other than some hot flashes, all went well. I am 56 now I don't feel any different other than it is definitely harder to lose weight. I am surprised a doctor would say you don't just stop. My dr.said 51 is the average age.

ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-22-2020, 02:52 PM

I think that at your age ( sorry) hormones may not be safe. As another person mentioned it can feed breast cancer cells.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 07-22-2020, 03:06 PM

I just let nature do its thing. Took about 2 years to finally be free of all periods. I have never taken hormones for it and I survived.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 07-22-2020, 03:32 PM

TMI (but this thread is TMI in general, right?). I'm 55 and have had flaky periods for a while. For a couple of years, they were 3 weeks apart after years of being about 32 days apart. Doc said that's normal. Then, last summer, they started spreading out some and then I skipped Sept and Aug altogether, then got back onto the 3 week plan from November to May and now, nothing since that May one. However, I feel like one might be coming... Ugh.

My doctor has not recommended hormones.

As for Amazon, they can deliver those products quickly. My youngest DD is getting ready to head back to college and informed me that we were out of the big overnight pads and since I'm trying to stay out of stores, thought I'd order them and some contact solution via Amazon. I pressed SEND on the order and it arrived about 20 hours later.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-22-2020, 03:52 PM

My mom never did hormone therapy. She did not stop her periods until 58. My grandmother was the same way. I had a hysterectomy at 43, and I do hormone therapy. It makes me feel tons better. My ovaries were failing, so my periods were all over the place from my mid 30ís.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-22-2020, 04:52 PM

My periods were very erratic for about a year and a half. Super, super heavy sometimes and just spotting at other times. They also were unpredictable whereas before I was like clockwork. They stopped when I was about 51 1/2. I never took hormones because I had breast cancer 30 years ago. Never had a problem just a handful of times that I had nightsweats.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

No hormones
Old 07-22-2020, 05:28 PM

because I just couldn't see myself taking them since I was already on blood pressure medication. Consequently, the whole process took quite a few years of inconsistent periods of varying types. I also had hot flashes for many years, and still get some from time to time.

Good luck to you!
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-23-2020, 04:11 AM

I also took BC to help regulate my periods.

I stopped taking it at 48 and did not take hormones at all. I had one heavy period after and then have not had one since.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

Menopause
Old 07-23-2020, 09:40 AM

Iím 52. For 6 years before I turned turned 51, I was on an IUD that stopped periods. My last year on the IUD, I started having hot flashes. I didnít like them. The gyn told me that the IUD already provided progesterone, so I started estrogen. I had a biopsy the 6th year I had the IUD and my IUD came out during the procedure. My doctor added progesterone for my hormone intake. After my IUD came out, I had light periods fOr several months. Then I had two heavy months right in a row. I decided to stop hormones all together. Now I havenít had a period for 3 months. Crossing my fingers I am done with that.
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rusty's Mom

Hot and Cold
Old 07-24-2020, 04:56 PM

I am doing the no hormones menopause for 5 years now. I have the hot flashes and sweaty moments then like a light switch I get cooler. My DH has said that he has felt my arm in the middle of the night when I am fast asleep it is so cool. A short while later I have woken up and gotten hot and sweaty. It comes and goes but it is not unmanageable. My family history of breast cancer is a reason why I can't try hormones too.
My cycles were so heavy and horrible due to endotremosos but my hysterectomy solved that problem.
Rusty's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote