Have you thought about your personal re-entry plan? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Have you thought about your personal re-entry plan?

>

Charlotte

Have you thought about your personal re-entry plan?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:08 AM

Have you thought about how you will handle being at school each day? Here's what I've been thinking:
1. Will you limit the number of things you take back and forth to school? Purse, teacher bag?
2. Will you wash your clothes daily?
3. Shower as soon as you get home?
4. Have masks you only use for school?

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking things. I don't have a fear of the virus, but I want to be smart and do the right thing. I don't want my job to endanger my husband who is diabetic, my siblings, or my elderly parents and in-laws. I read an interesting quote (maybe I read it here) -- something like "I've chosen a career where I would take a bullet for my students, but now I'm being asked to bring that bullet home."

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-23-2020, 07:13 AM

Bringing stuff like my teacher bag/ lunch bag hadn't occurred to me yet. Thanks for the reminder. Not sure what to do about that......
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

yes
Old 07-23-2020, 07:15 AM

Yes, thinking about it constantly. I have 3 choices. One is to apply for an accommodation to work remotely, go in , or retire. The third option to retire is my very last alternative. I want to work remotely but Im so tech challenged that I feel this is going to be sooo hard for me. I'm leaning towards going in and seeing how it goes. If things don't look good then I can do one of the other two at any time. It's all I think about these days and I'm stressing and getting headaches 24/7.
And if I do go in, I will be so careful, as careful and sanitary as I can be. I'm just so scared and honestly I think the schools need to be closed for a while longer. It's not the right time to be going back.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 07-23-2020, 07:22 AM

I just started having this conversation with some coworkers. My admin purchased aprons for us...but if we use them we'll need to wash them daily. I know myself enough to know that I won't be doing laundry daily.

I am just planning on doing my normal stuff with my bags as those are locked in my closet each day. I don't usually bring stuff home to work on.

As far as clothes, I am planning on just stripping when I get home and making sure that my "school clothes" are kept out of my living space until washed. (My laundry is in my garage so it's easy). Some people I work with are discussing purchasing scrubs...but I just can't afford that.

I honestly worry less about getting sick from my clothing as I think (maybe incorrectly) that my biggest worry is the virus being airborne while I'm in the classroom with students.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-23-2020, 07:30 AM

I haven't thought about it. However, I will not carry anything but my lunch back and forth. I do have a computer at home and can work off of it, so don't need that. I just hope I have my own space this year as my lab will probably be used for something else since I can't use it (am pushing in). I often shower at night, so I will do that before bed, but not going to stress about taking clothes off immediately and showering unless something weird happend that day.

Going to go about it as usual, I guess. I don't wash my clothes after everytime I wear them and probably will stick with that unless numbers in our area start going up or I have had contact with someone.

Truthfully, I don't think we will go back for a while even though right now they say we will. I might be wrong, but that is my position at this point in time.

I did think about volunteering to do the virtual school (will be district wide) but I don't want to lose my position at my school, nor do I know what it is going to be like. Then I decided to let people who feel more threatened by the virus take those jobs. Although I am approaching 60 and a tad overweight, I am active and healthy. Hopefully that helps.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

School to Home
Old 07-23-2020, 08:06 AM

I have given this some thought. I typically do not bring work home with me, I would stay late or go in early before I bring work home. I will need to adjust this year because I don't want to be there any longer than I have to be. In the past I would eat at the school cafeteria salad bar a few times a week but will not be doing that this year if we go back in person. I have been making salads for lunch all summer and will continue to do that for school. It will require me to be more prepared but I have gotten in the habit over the summer so I am hoping this routine will carry over. I am trying to decide if I will bring a salad everyday or just bring them all on Monday and keep in my fridge at school. I keep salad dressing there but I am worried about cross contamination with any prep at school.

I will not bring a bag or purse into school and will just carry my salad bowl each morning. I do not even need my cell phone in school since we are not allowed to use them. If DH needs to contact me he sends me an email and I call him on my school phone. I can just put my key fob in my pocket and go.

I will most like wash my clothes after every wear. I intend to wear mainly chino or khaki style pants and school t-shirts so they will be easy to wash. Sweaters and jackets will not be in my wardrobe this year. My MIL is making me about 15-20 masks since I anticipate needing 2-3 masks every day. I plan to leave these at school and bring them home on Friday for washing, or I may do every day since I will be washing laundry more often anyway.

It is so strange that we have to re-think and plan for all the mundane everyday chores and events that we never gave a second thought to a year ago.

Last edited by all41; 07-23-2020 at 09:33 AM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Yes
Old 07-23-2020, 08:08 AM

I have started to think. I will be cleaning a set of pens and will keep nothing on my desk. I will keep my work laptop at work and use my personal at home. I will not take home any paper- everything will be digital.

I will also change right away but will not do laundry each day. I will most likely shower right away as well. I will not have masks only for school but will use a new one (or multiple ones) per day. I have enough for two weeks and found disposable ones at BJS which Iíll keep in my class in case of an emergency.

I will only be working contract hours. No going in early or staying late
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-23-2020, 08:42 AM

My plan was that I am working remotely. I have been anxious for weeks that it might mean I'd lose my job. Thankfully we starting the year online and I am not expected to go in.

Those are good to think about. I remember reading at some point people leaving shoes outside.

Right now, when I go to the grocery store I don't worry about any of that other than leaving my mask in the car for a few days then I wash it. I know being in the building all day is different. Limiting what items are at both places seems like a good idea.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Our current plan
Old 07-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Iím currently a SAHM. I give you all credit for going back. This has been surreal to watch on the sidelines. My DH is an essential worker and he has worked all through the pandemic. We also have a 19 month old at home. Here are the precautions that we take:

- my DH comes home through our garage & takes off just work clothes (normal clothes, not scrubs)

- he wipes / sanitizes both his personal cell and work cell

- he leaves his shoes in the garage

- his clothes go immediately into the wash and he showers before coming into contact with us

- I wash his laundry from work separate but not every day (usually every other) unless he was in more direct contact with a higher potential exposure.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 07-23-2020, 09:03 AM

Iíve started to think about it. I was thinking of scrub tops, but not sure if Iíll do that. Iíll be traveling from room to room as I do middle school and do not have a homeroom.

One thing we were warned about at the end of the year is that staying late may not be possible in order to fog the classrooms. So that means Iíll need laptop to come home every night.

sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I have two plans
Old 07-23-2020, 09:03 AM

Iím at the top of the list to teach remotely if there is enough interest from parents to offer that option.

If not...
I plan to make sneeze guards out of clear vinyl shower curtains and cardboard. Our grade level is not required to wear masks.

I will wear goggles and a mask in the classroom.

I will take my shoes off outside the front door at home and put my clothes in the washer as soon as I get home, then head for the showers.

I will grade papers at school. Nothing will come home.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 07-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Yes...I've been giving this a lot of thought. I bought a fanny pack which I will leave at work to carry hand sanitizer, extra masks and gloves with me.

Bought a backpack which I will leave in back of car to put lunch and anything else in. I need my hands free to put on mask in parking lot and to use sanitizer.

Bought small bottles of hand sanitizer to put in fanny pack and backpack.

I bought a large water bottle with straw and cap that closes so I'm not drinking out of an open cup. I am concerned because of mask wearing I won't drink enough water all day.

Taking clothes off and showering when I get home. I am also thinking of scrubs. So much easier.

Not bringing anything home from school.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-23-2020, 09:15 AM

I always take my school clothes off as soon as I get home, and I wash my hands thoroughly. Iím going to use my good leather bag that can be wiped off easily. My lunchbox is plastic, so easily cleaned. I donít bring home work. My school bag just has my school keys and wallet and planner usually. We have enough masks for a couple of weeks. I bought a lingerie wash bag to use for cleaning them so Iím not chasing tiny masks around a huge washer.

No way Iím washing clothes every day. I also donít understand why people would be buying scrubs. Washing regular clothes. Washing scrubs. Same difference.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 07-23-2020, 09:28 AM

I won't be washing clothes every day but I do have some giant ziploc bags. School clothes & masks will go in those right away when I come home and, yes, I will shower immediately.

I'm already in the habit of leaving shoes in the garage. My purse stays in my locked car in my locked garage when I'm at home.

To some extent, my decisions about handling belongings depend on where I'm able to leave my them when I'm at school. I may lose my classroom and be traveling from room to room. If I have my own room and my own coat closet, I won't be as worried. If I have to leave my stuff in some kind of common space, I'll have to be more careful. I have no idea when those decisions are going to be final.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-23-2020, 09:51 AM

I've always been a bit of a germaphobe. I keep my purse and lunch bag in a secure spot where no one else has access during the day, so I think they are pretty safe. I have tried for years to limit bringing work home. I fail miserably, though. Maybe this is the year I leave it behind. When the kids were babies I changed clothes as soon as I got home. I will probably go back to that habit and make the kids change, too. I won't wash clothes daily, but we rarely, if ever, re-wear clothes without washing. No showers right away, just handwashing. I want to ban shoes in the house, but I will never win that battle with DH.

I don't think those things will really do much to stop the spread of Covid, but will help with all the lovely nasty things little kids carry around.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Old 07-23-2020, 10:26 AM

1 Iíll take my purse and bag in and bring them home each evening.
2. I go to the gym from school so I change into my gym clothes and put school clothes in my gym bag. After being in my gym bag they go right in the wash.
3. I used to shower at the gym right after my workout. Since they arenít open yet I do shower as soon as I get home.
4. No
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 07-23-2020, 03:24 PM

Iím going to do what the nurses do. Iím putting slipper in my car to drive home. Iím goin to undress in my garage ( Iíd change at school but itís not the cleanest), leaving clothes in a hamper, putting a robe on, and taking a shower when I get home. Iíll wipe down my car seat and shoes too. I didnít think about my bag??
I should wipe down my water bottle too!
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Apron
Old 07-23-2020, 04:05 PM

Just wondering what that is supposed to do to protect you.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 07-23-2020, 04:23 PM

Just starting to think through these details as we have gotten our reopening plan.

I will still take my school bag (with my tiny purse inside) and my lunch bag back and forth, but I will be cautious about where they are kept and set down (not on the floor or where students can touch.)

I will wash hands and change clothes when I get home and have my own kids do the same. I probably wonít shower immediately.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-23-2020, 05:51 PM

I live alone so there is not much to worry about with coming home. I will probably keep extra masks at all school just in case I feel like I need to change mine throughout the day. One change is that I will take my school laptop back and forth every day. I have a chromebook at home so typically I don't do that, but if we suddenly go into remote learning I'll want my actual school laptop with me.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 07-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Scrubs for work. Lunch in disposables. No papers at all. Just my keys and phone. Itís ridiculous that we have to work at school with no students.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-23-2020, 06:26 PM

Charlotte, I don't blame you! I feel for ALL the teachers who will be returning because you guys will have quite a grueling job ahead of you...at school AND at home to do after the long day.

Good Bless Everyone.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote