Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Becoming a hermit

>

kahluablast

Becoming a hermit
Old 07-26-2020, 07:51 AM

I have always said when we retire, I want to become a hermit.

It might have already happened! This forced alone time has made me appreciate my dh more. We really have done much better together alone that I ever thought we would (well, me. I let him drive me crazy.) Not seeing friends or family wasn't that hard. I have seen my kids like 3 times since March. We talk often via email or messages and that is enough. I did ask them a couple weeks ago to send a picture because I wanted to see their faces (my mountain internet is very bad).

Now it is time to start ramping up to return to school for Staff training. I really don't want to see anyone. I have a few great friends that I will be glad to see but I have been talking a little with them this summer. But I don't want to see most people.

We have the option of working from home for training. I might do that after the first little bit. Maybe I will get up and walk out after 15 minutes and log in from home.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-26-2020, 08:16 AM

Same here! Yesterday, DH told me he thinks this quarantine isn’t hard on me at all. He’s right.

I don’t know anything about BTS PD or staff meetings yet. Not excited about it at all.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-26-2020, 09:40 AM

I have not missed people one single bit!
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

EnglishRose

Old 07-26-2020, 10:03 AM

I could live like this forever.
Introverts unite!
Extroverts , you can have it.
EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-26-2020, 10:20 AM

Iíve told people that Iíve been training for this my whole life. Iíve enjoyed every minute of being home and Iíve treasured the extra time I got with Mason before he passed.

I have no interest in rejoining the real world. I have no interest in starting at 2 new schools, learning their unspoken rules, dealing with new principals, etc.

The extroverts on my life canít relate. But then again, I canít relate to their burning desire to get out and rejoin the real world.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

happily living in my own world
Old 07-26-2020, 10:55 AM

I'm with you 100%. Unfortunately, my insane sister-in-law thinks I don't have the right to be quiet and comfortable living without constant interaction. She is furious with me because I said I didn't want to have a combined family dinner every week. (She lives next door.) Apparently, my desire has become a personal insult to her and she refuses to speak to me now. Which actually is not such a bad thing.

Seriously, what is so wrong with a quiet life without drama?
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-26-2020, 11:58 AM

Yes, not seeing people suits me just fine. I would like a nice meal out though. But not until it's safe!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Hurrah for home
Old 07-26-2020, 12:22 PM

OTHER THAN being tired of my own cooking, I am GREAT!!

I love being home but the cooking and cleaning got old fast... Especially the meal planning. I need to bite the bullet and just make a plan. That would require to nail my husband down to time and place. That part is hard as well. He isn't as fond of home quarantine as we are.

It seems my laundry should be less but somehow it isn't.

I enjoy the solitude too. I read, crochet, daydream, nap, whatever I want. We have even given up satellite TV--I have a Netflix sub and Amazon due to my Prime membership so we can do that. Plus I can cast YouTube from a device to my TV for any extra stuff. DH will probably want it back in September when new episodes of his favorite show start but whatever.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Lottalove
Old 07-26-2020, 12:30 PM
This message has been deleted by Lottalove. Reason: Double post

MalloryJames

Old 07-26-2020, 02:00 PM

I could do this shelter in place thing forever.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-26-2020, 02:05 PM

Glad you're enjoying your along time. Honestly, the only difference fiance' and I have had here is not eating out, getting takeout, and going to fun places. Other than that, we never really saw a soul anyway, except for my mother.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-26-2020, 03:51 PM

Iím okay, too. There are a few things I miss, but I imagine the world will look different when we reenter, so I will continue to adjust. Iíve always liked the comfort of home, yet Iím amazed to find how happy I am alone with a lot of quiet time. I now value silence immensely.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 07-26-2020, 04:12 PM

Same here. (This is the first "club" I've wanted to be a part of. ) I'm lucky that my close family members live relatively close by, and since we are all practicing social distancing as strictly as we can we feel ok about seeing each other, especially outside. We get together a couple of times a month. I text with my best friend, my spouse knows when to leave me alone (), and I'm good with my dog and a good book.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Seriously

Old 07-26-2020, 05:30 PM

I 1000% agree with you. I love being at home and not having to deal with all the bad behavior and drama. I also get really cranky when someone tries to talk to me about school. My doctor the other day was trying to ask me about our reopening plans and I was not in the mood. I don't want to go back and love being at home.
Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-26-2020, 06:29 PM

I still wouldn't say I like it, but I'm amazed at how well I've pretty much adjusted to this lifestyle. In previous summers I'd be bored silly if there was a stretch of more than a few days where I didn't have any plans. Now I'm just used to it I guess. I sometimes miss going out and doing things and I will certainly be more social when this is "over" (is it ever going to be over?)

So many of my days just consist of putzing around on the internet, watching TV (while getting my steps in- so at least I'm not living on the couch), and reading. Yet I manage to feel mostly content a lot of the time. I guess it's amazing what you can just get used to.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Enjoying it as well
Old 07-26-2020, 08:16 PM

I sometimes just sit and stare at the walks for a couple of hours listening to soft music. There are plenty of house chores but my dog and I just sit . I had been under a rush rush time clock before quarantine break .
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Yes!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:10 PM

I have to say that I really didn't mind being quarantined at home. I wonder, though, if we all would feel differently if the quarantine would have happened during the winter when we couldn't get outside for exercise as much. Right now I'm totally content to putter around my house or yard, and lay by the pool and swim all afternoon. I'm feeling kind of put out that I have to actually start going in to work this week!
2teach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-27-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
if we all would feel differently if the quarantine would have happened during the winter when we couldn't get outside for exercise as much.
. I have sad that before! We may get a chance to find out. I do like winter sports - cross country skiing, snowshoeing- so if there is snow I am going to be fine. But we get some bitter winter winds that I don't enjoy going out in... Time will tell. It gets dark so early, too. That is a barrier. I guess I will start some crafts I usually do in the winter more- sewing, puzzles, painting...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-27-2020, 06:38 AM

I feel I am fine with how my lifestyle is currently,also. Yes, I miss some things like taking classes, but I have found a number of online courses (sewing— my passion) that cost about the same and I have lifetime access so that is a win! I also seem to be saving money, even though I do quite a bit of online ordering I guess I am doing the same amount online minus my in store

Winter could be a challenge if we don’t get snow.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote