Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Scrubs (what to wear to school)

>

happykids

Scrubs (what to wear to school)
Old 07-28-2020, 05:22 AM

Iíve seen a few people talk about wearing scrubs to school this year.

I am wondering what the advantage would be for wearing scrubs as opposed to street clothes.

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Some people
Old 07-28-2020, 05:27 AM

wear dry clean only clothes to school (not me!) and think that they don't want to expose those clothes to potential viruses. They believe that scrubs can be kept cleaner, and that you woudn't have to worry about washing them in hot water nightly.

I think some people want to make a statement about the dangers of going back to school by wearing scrubs.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Scrubs
Old 07-28-2020, 06:18 AM

Although retired, I feel that scrubs are a wonderful option for work wear.

They would be able to withstand the abuse of frequent washing and are made to last a long time - unlike most of my clothes when I was teaching. Scrubs are designed for functionality and comfort.

During this COVID, my daughter, a CNA, comes home after working with a client, strips in the mud room, immediately throws her clothes in the washer, and takes a shower. She wears a separate pair of shoes while working (storing them in a bag in her car after spraying w Lysol).

I canít think of any outfits I wore where I could throw all the components into the wash on the hot cycle.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 07-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Beach Glass has it right. I am one of those thinking of wearing scrubs solely because they will stand up to frequent washing in hot water. Iíve updated my wardrobe over the last 18 months and much of it is fragile material.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM

They are designed to limit contagion (few seams, etc), can withstand frequent washings in hot water, and yes, if you treat us like front line, we will dress like front line.

MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Scrubs that my friends
Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM

who are front line workers wear are put on just before or after entering the building and taken off before going into their own home. So, they are lessening the chance of contact with the virus.

My suggestion is hazmat suits. We all know how young children just can't follow the rules of no contact and taking care of their sneezes, coughs, lost teeth etc.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Old 07-28-2020, 07:56 AM

Beach Glass- I would like to know the brand that you found comfortable. I’ve worn several different brands and have not found a comfortable set.

There are a few reasons I will not be wearing scrubs.

1. They are not cost effective for me. I can’t pay upwards of $150 for a decent set of scrubs. And that’s just one set, not to mention a weeks worth.

2. Several of our students have doctor/nurse anxiety. I will already be in a mask. One of my summer school kiddos had major anxiety every time I saw him just from being in a mask because it reminded him of a doctor. I will not add to that anxiety by wearing scrubs. This school year is going to be different and I want to keep it as normal as I can, if wearing regular clothes does that, I’ll do that for my students.

3. I don’t wear anything I wouldn’t be sad to lose. I don’t wear dry clean only. For me, regular clothes are easier to replace.

4. They are hot. And I couldn’t wear my cute shoes.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Scrubs
Old 07-28-2020, 08:11 AM

This is what you need.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 07-28-2020, 08:19 AM

Machine-washable clothes should do the trick. Now's a good time to think your work wardrobe, including jackets, shoes and tote bag, and possibly simplify it some, reducing the number of pieces you wear. You'll need sturdy, washable pieces.

A good routine would be to get dressed each AM in washable clothes, and when you get home kick off your shoes right at the door, leave your bag at the door (maybe put these on a folded towel that you wash weekly) and wipe down your lanyard.

Immediately strip down and put clothes, including washable mask, into a laundry basket or washable laundry bag - never allowing clothes to touch the floor - and take a shower. After your shower, wash those clothes, and then wash your hands and wipe down the laundry basket.

While scrubs can be scary to kids, you might find some protection with a set of basic chef aprons that you can keep at your desk (taking home after you wear them) and change out if a kid coughs on you mid-day.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote
likestravels

likestravels

we can wear them!
Old 07-28-2020, 08:35 AM

Our district says we can wear them, for all the reasons above. Some teachers also like the fact that they will be more comfortable in them, especially after gaining the extra weight during the pandemic!

SassyTeach

For me...
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 AM

I'd like scrubs just because I can wash/dry them each day and I won't ruin my nice "teacher" clothes. Plus, after the COVID 8 (pounds I gained), I'd really love to be in elastic waist pants all day!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 AM

Soap is the best enemy of the virus, so washing in cold with laundry detergent is going to be as beneficial as washing in hot. If your regular clothes can withstand a washing machine, they're fine. If they're dry clean only, you might want to get some washable clothes.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Scrubs are great!
Old 07-28-2020, 12:18 PM

We have had the option to wear scrubs ever since my school became a choice program for biomedical/veterinary science. Even the kids wear them.

Scrubs are affordable. We have to purchase ours through the school as they have our logo on them, but still only $25.

Great for those mornings when you are running late. Just throw on the scrubs!

Comfortable! You can move easily. Great for getting up and down from the floor.

No worries about ruining your nice clothes. Great for science experiments or any messy activity.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-28-2020, 01:41 PM

I had 4 sets (in school colors) in my cart==each about $25--about the cost of what I would spend on a couple new outfits for year. (plan is to wear tank and shorts underneath, change after school--so as not to bring anything to asthmatic, pneumonia-prone DH and wash in HOT.

I had the foresight to ask P (I know many teachers across the nation who will be wearing scrubs with OK from P's and districts.) He said no. so I deleted those and grabbed about 6 shift dresses that I can do the same with--they might not hold up and be wearable after this year, but *shrugs*.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-28-2020, 03:07 PM

I’m clearly in the minority here but-

I don’t plan on changing what I’m wearing to school nor do I plan on changing my laundry schedule.

I have never worn dry clean only clothing and can’t think of anybody in my building who does.

Just last year my school was able to wear jeans daily. I wore them 2/3 times a week and wear dresses the other day. Many days jeans are just too hot here, even inside.

I have always done laundry once every two weeks, all in cold, and will continue to do so. My dirty clothes will go in the hamper and sit there until the two weeks rolls around.

I’m kind of confused on the necessity for scrubs—
Everything I’ve read has said that Covid doesn’t live on surfaces and the chances of getting it from a surface are slim to none.
Won’t you be social distancing, to an extent, and all wearing masks? How are kids sneezing on you.

Plus, personally scrubs feel like wearing pajamas. I like to at least feel somewhat put together.

I also do not have the extra money to buy even $100 worth of scrubs that won’t be something needed nor worn at any other time. If I spend $100 on new clothing it will be clothes I can continue to wear.

I couldn’t imagine wearing scrubs and an additional set of clothes underneath— I would overheat.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-28-2020, 03:36 PM

Scrubs may not be a bad idea! Keep it simple so you can just throw it all in the washer and you won't have to worry as much about what to wear each day.

And that doesn't mean you have to necessarily wear them all 5 days a week. Even 2-3 days...anything to make your life easier because God knows things will be a TON more grueling and frustrating enough when work starts up.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Scrub brands
Old 07-28-2020, 05:47 PM

My daughter swears by Cherokee and Dickies brands of scrubs. They are reasonably priced. I have NEVER seen scrubs with $100+ price tags. $20-25 for each piece is more like it, but she shops the sales and averages about $15-20.

Scrubs are not meant to be worn over street clothes. My daughter may wear some light long underwear (like Cuddle Duds) during the cold winter months.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Scrubs
Old 07-28-2020, 06:08 PM

I bought two set of Dickies scrubs. I plan to change at school. I was really happy with the scrubs. The top is very flattering. I wish I could find regular clothes that fit as nicely.

I may not need them since we may be able to work from home.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 07-28-2020, 07:33 PM

I actually bought a pair of Dickies scrub pants a few years ago. They are the most comfortable pair of pants I own. They have lots of pockets and most people don't even know they are scrubs! I will probably buy a couple more pairs (I got them on Amazon).

I'm also not changing my laundry habits or other things. I wash twice a week, mostly everything in cold water. I won't strip off my clothes, put my shoes in a bag or out in the garage, etc. I will change when I come home but that's to be comfy.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-29-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Wonít you be social distancing, to an extent, and all wearing masks? How are kids sneezing on you.
Those of us with very young students (4-6 years old especially) suspect they will not abide by distancing and will likely struggle with keeping masks on.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Playing Devil's Advocate
Old 07-29-2020, 11:54 AM

While I see the pros to wearing Scrubs to school, I just want to put out the opinion from a post of a friend on facebook.
There are children who have spend a great deal of time in hospitals or medical care. To them the scrubs often represent painful treatments/procedures rather than the caring people that performed these treatments/procedures. Having to go to school and being greeted by their teacher in scrubs, could have negative consequences.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-29-2020, 08:45 PM

I donít see any advantage.

None of my clothes are dry clean only. (We donít even have a dry cleaning business in town.)

My clothes all wash and dry after every wear.

I always change clothes when I get home, just because I like to relax in pajamas when Iím home.

I put clothes into the hamper immediately.

I wash clothes once a week.

I wonít see clothing as being a very likely way to spread Covid.

I work with teenagers.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Scrubs
Old 07-30-2020, 05:13 PM

I already only wear comfortable, washable clothes that I wash after each wear so I donít see the benefit in it either.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2020, 10:46 PM

I also don't see the benefit, unless you regularly wear dry clean only clothes. I just have a hard time picturing any teachers wanting to mess with that- we tend to be a practical bunch!

I don't really get the need to wash your outfit as soon as you walk in the door- what's the difference between doing that and just putting it in your hamper right away? I'm used to changing into my PJs as soon as I come home anyway, so that won't be a change for me. If washing the outfit right away makes you feel better, what's the difference between washing your regular clothes and washing scrubs? I don't buy the "hot water" reasoning. The virus is not going to live on clothes that have run through a wash and dry cycle.

Like lilbitkm, I don't have extra money to waste on scrubs. It's not like buying other clothes, because I'd have no use for them otherwise. If this becomes a requirement than the district needs to purchase them. Even then, I'd probably be miffed that they were wasting budget money on scrubs...
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote