Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

50th Wedding Anniversary Party

>

mhugs

50th Wedding Anniversary Party
Old 07-28-2020, 10:08 AM

We are going to SIL's 50th Wedding Anniversary Party on Saturday. It is a 2.5 hour drive. DD and her DH are driving us and they brought up the questions "Should we wear masks in the car?" I hadn't thought about that.

The party itself is an Open House at nephew's country home. It will be an outdoor event. Covid is very low in their area and we haven't seen DH's family in about 5 years.

Do you think we'd be okay in the car if we bring in fresh outside air?

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I would wear masks
Old 07-28-2020, 10:16 AM

and allow fresh air inside the car. Be safe and have a good visit and celebration. Fifty years of marriage is wonderful!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Masks-opinion
Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM

If it were me, I'd err on the side of caution and wear the masks unless you're driving with windows open the whole way.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Has anyone been out and possibly exposed?
Old 07-28-2020, 10:24 AM

If everyone in the car has been sheltering at home, I wouldn't worry about it. If anyone has been out and around and has possibly been exposed, I wouldn't get in the car with them anyway.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-28-2020, 10:35 AM

I wouldn’t worry about the car nearly as much as I’d worry about the party. I just heard a scientist on NPR explain that considering airborne Covid, “parties where people are eating and drinking are a recipe for disaster.”

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-28-2020, 12:14 PM

I think the car should be fine with open windows. I’m not so sure about the party. I would wear a mask at the party or practice social distancing and not go within six feet near anyone. You have to be careful with the food, no buffet or shared foods. My neighbor had ten people over for a barbecue. They socially distanced, brought their own food, and did not go in the house. They only stayed a couple of hours due to no bathroom. She felt bad, but did not want to take a chance. You can enjoy the party, but you don’t know where others have been. I don’t want to sound mean, but there are many outbreaks across the country from large gatherings. Enjoy the party, but be careful. You can read the next post from Klarabelle about parties.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-28-2020, 12:30 PM

If it were me I'd be wearing a mask. I would also social distance at the party if I even decided to go. I realize the Golden Anniversary is a true milestone, but COVID is very real and depending on the people/area I would be more concerned at the party than the car.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Anniversary party
Old 07-28-2020, 01:07 PM

In the car should be fine if all passengers are within the same bubble.
That said, I suggest not going to the party. A mask will only go so far in protecting you and others in a crowd that large.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 07-28-2020, 02:57 PM

I would think you'd be fine in the car as you described. If you've been in regular contact with DD and her DH and they've been careful, based on what I'm hearing you should be fine. Otherwise, I'd wear a mask.

Stay safe and enjoy!
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-28-2020, 03:28 PM

I agree with BOTH linda2671 regarding the car and amiga regarding the party itself.

Whether it's in the car OR at the party, unless each attendee there knows what each person's lifestyle is and how laxed or strict they each are, know who they each came into contact with at work, school, etc., know who they visit, who they have visit them, etc., no guarantees can be made AT ALL that everyone will be fine.

Unless there's a vaccine or cure, I'm not going to any of my family's get togethers AT ALL. I don't know where each person's been or who they've each come into contact with.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 07-28-2020, 04:12 PM

I heard this story today:

A 40-minute ride to a lake

On July 4, a father, mother, adult daughter and family friend drove to a lake from their Eastern Ohio county. The family friend had coronavirus but didn’t know it at the time, DeWine said.

The father got COVID-19, ending up in a Pittsburgh ICU. His business had to temporarily close. Two of his employees tested positive.

The daughter fell ill with mild symptoms. She’s in the process of being hired for her first teaching job.

“Now that process is delayed, because she has to have two negative coronavirus tests for the process to move forward,” DeWine said.

The mother didn’t get sick, but two of the caretakers of her 90-year-old mother did. One of the caretakers ended up in the ICU. And a different patient of one of the caretakers -- also in her 90s -- got sick.

“It just goes on and on,” DeWine said.

After the positive test, the salon where the family friend worked at temporarily closed so the stylists could quarantine.

“Luckily, since they wore their masks, none of them got sick,” he said. “However, the family friend passed the virus onto her husband. His business had to temporarily close while his employees quarantined. One of his employees was getting married and found out on her wedding day that she would need to quarantine.”

Another employee was on vacation when the quarantine was ordered and had to stay in the hotel for the rest of the trip.

“The local health department’s team is still monitoring people who were exposed and they expect to learn of additional COVID-19 cases stemming from that single car ride,” DeWine said.
Charlotte is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-28-2020, 05:10 PM

Charlotte, thank you so much for showing how Covid travels. I wish people would stop making excuses (“we’ve known her for years”) and start listening to facts. We’re all going to be in this mess forever unless people learn that a party might not be the most important thing. I’m so discouraged.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote