Help

Kindergarten

Teaching writing online

>

Sbkangas5

Teaching writing online
Old 07-19-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is the one I'm struggling with most. I'm actually pondering not even trying to teach writing for a few months - just focusing on phonemic awareness and phonics. In the spring we just had writing prompts for them, but they were already proficient writers. One of my biggest hesitations is that I find parents are actually harmful to the process of teaching beginning writing. They just don't know how to help, even with specific guidance, and either spell things for their child or write it down for them to copy.

Any suggestions? We have to use google classroom, so seesaw activites are not an option.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

No suggestions
Old 07-19-2020, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I agree, I do not want to teach writing without being there to help and correct. Parents will not be able to do it, even when you video yourself printing a letter correctly, while telling what to do, it will not be done correctly!

Ah, as I reread your post, I see you are talking about the writing process, and I am talking about learning to correctly form letters. I agree with you about the writing process as well. Parents do not know how to help kids listen for the sounds in a word, and certainly aren't about to let kids write the wrong letter (even if it is phonetically correct). Will you have a chance to meet with (even virtually) parents to discuss this? This type of problem (parents helping their kids differently than I would like, and in sometimes "harmful" ways) was the most frustrating part of distance teaching this fall.

Sorry, no help, just commiseration.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-19-2020, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Christine Pinto (from CA, #GFE4Littles) and Jessica Twomey (from NJ, #InnovatingPlay) are two kindergarten teachers who use technology with their children. They paired up to write a book about innovating play and their classes have done some long distance activities together. I used to use Google Classroom before we switched to Seesaw-but I did not start out the year using GC. They were two teachers that I followed for ideas.

For writing, we usually start out the year drawing. What kind of devices are your students using? Maybe you can do some directed drawings with them. We start out drawing a face, work our way into drawing people-self, family, friends, teacher... Then work on different settings. For the assignment, you could create step-by-step directions in Google Slides. Parents would have to read the directions. The students follow the directions doing it on paper and take a photo of their drawing. Then parents can insert the photo on a blank slide included in the Google Slides that you assigned in Google Classroom.

I know what you mean about parents. They want to help, but just don't understand. When we went online in March, we originally had our students writing in journals we sent home with them. After seeing their work the first day, we realized that we had to make a video explaining what the expectations were, along with very explicit examples. (It was amazing how many of our little ones became instant advanced writers overnight. Some kids, who normally struggled to write beginning and ending sounds in words, suddenly were writing 2-3 perfect sentences.)

I have some time, but I am watching to see what some of the K teachers who have to start online in August do. I hope everyone keeps sharing their ideas on here and their blogs/websites.

Last edited by iteachk2010; 07-20-2020 at 05:57 AM..
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-20-2020, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've frequently read that teachers of young children are zooming in very small groups or one on one for the writing process. Screencastify the modeled writing and set that up on a Google slide. I read several Facebook groups and have seen these ideas passed around as workable solutions.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-20-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

anna, I like that idea.

I've also been tossing around the idea of creating either a pre-recorded video or a written post of a "how to" of sorts for supporting their child's writing. Not all parents will "follow directions" but at least I'll have tried, and I'm sure it will help some of them!

Somehow I think a big portion of teaching K virtually is going to be teaching caregivers how to support their learners.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-20-2020, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Somehow I think a big portion of teaching K virtually is going to be teaching caregivers how to support their learners.
This is SO true!!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kteach2

Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My K team is working on our virtual Back to School Presentation and this is one of the things we are talking about. We use Google Classroom too and have made videos just for this too. Parents often think that they are really helping their child, but don't realize that they really aren't. If you give parents information, up front, I think it will be helpful. Also, having a video or something that they can refer to from time to time is helpful. I agree that writing can wait a little while during DL. We aren't there with them to help guide their hands on correct pencil grip or letter formation. We have to teach the parents how to do this. Our jobs will be about teaching and helping the parents just as much as teaching the students. I'm planning on taking it a bit slower and making sure they have the foundational skills needed to be a successful writer. Kids like the directed drawings and it is a wonderful way to teach directionality.
Kteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Here's my thoughts
Old 07-29-2020, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think we'll be back in school by December at the latest.

I BARELY start teaching the writing process around that time. Here's how I teach the writing process (not letter writing/tracing)

August - September: Drawing your thoughts

September - October: Adding details (Sky colors, background, etc)

October - November: Turn your pictures into stories. We take our drawings and make them into plays or stories to tell partners or as a show and tell. Really helps develop story telling, sentence structure, etc.

November - December (depending on class): We begin labeling beginning sounds and other sounds. Cat might just be represented as 'c' or 'k' or if they're more advanced Dinosaur might be spelling like 'DINSR'

January - February: We work on multiple word labeling. At this point I expect nearly everything to be labeled with at least the beginning sound.

February - March: I start teaching them to structure their stories into sentences like this:

step 1: think of your sentence (Dinosaurs are big)
step 2: Count the words (1, 2, 3)
step 3: Draw lines (_______ ______ ______. )
step 4: Fill in lines. (DINSRS. ARE. BIG)

The rest of the year we go from that to writing multiple sentences. Parents like the lines because its easier for them to help without giving the answers. At the end of the year, even my lowest students are able to write multiple sentences unassisted.

I figure this plan is easy enough to follow while distance educating. parents can help students draw, tell stories, etc. We can do a live show and tell with our stories. We can do virtual picture walks, etc.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote