Help

The VENT

Losing my classroom, too

>

Sbkangas5

Losing my classroom, too
Old 07-29-2020, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First, I lost my partner. Which means I also lost my perfect part-time schedule. Then, like everyone, I lost my entire way of teaching (I teach kinder and am as play-based as possible, so both online and in class with social distancing are 180 degrees from how I teach). Now, I find out that when we go back in person I will most likely be losing my classroom as well. 6 ft went from a suggestion to a mandate, and I can only fit 14. So unless a bunch of kids drop (which I'm praying happens!!) I'm out.

I really really wish I could afford to quit...

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-29-2020, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe the loss won't be permenant. I heard our p talking about that yesterday- but they are thinking just trading spaces if that happens. I don't think anyone will really move rooms.

Ah- I still don't believe we will go back in person for quite a while. This year is going to be an adjustment for so many of us!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Wow
Old 07-29-2020, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel this so much. I'm also a K teacher and like you I am almost entirely play based. I do no assigned seats and my style of teaching is independent exploration with 'group meetings' for about 10 minutes every hour where we do circle time, practice phonics, learn new activities, or have classroom discussions. Meanwhile me co-teacher does the exact opposite and will probably have a much easier time transitioning because he does seat work the whole day.

My district decided on distance learning and I'm so upset, even though I know it was the logical thing to do. And if we do come back, I'm sure there will be rules in place that will mean my students can't share activities like they used to.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-29-2020, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That news has to be very upsetting. I hope that you only get 14 students.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-29-2020, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My DH is losing his classroom, too. He will be teaching from a cart, and someone else will have a home room in his class. Teachers will rotate. He imagines his classroom being slowly destroyed as the year progresses. Today I cleaned out his desk, and he locked away all personal items. He brought some things home. He’s not happy.

I’ll be in my classroom, at least. I’m not sure how many kids I can fit. I’m avoiding setting up desks.

Last edited by Ima Teacher; 07-30-2020 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Fixed my typo. LOL
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-30-2020, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
He imagines his classroom being slowly destroyed as th eyebrows progresses.
. Hmmmm. I imagine his furrowed brow and his efforts at growing a unibrow so big it takes over the room (the school, then the world?)!

I am losing my room, too- although the p said I could keep my "office" in there (a small table in the corner with my stuff on top) until we get active COVID cases as it will be the quarantine room. I don't know what happens when we move active cases in. Do I get another place then?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Meanwhile me co-teacher does the exact opposite and will probably have a much easier time transitioning because he does seat work the whole day.
Oh my gosh yes! I've thought of this two. The other 3 classes do tons of seatwork. This isn't the monumental shift for them that it is for me.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote