Help

BusyBoard

I need someone to nitpick my idea

>

hikinghiker

I need someone to nitpick my idea
Old 07-29-2020, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going back to school entirely distance learning. Which is great for safety, but will be extremely challenging at my school. I teach kindergarten. 80% of our students are FRL. Most of our parents and students are primarily Spanish speaking. Parents are largely uninvolved due to them working.

Here is my concern. It was hard enough to reach parents all year when I knew them and their students. All of my parents are dual working families. Many don't speak English well or at all. Many don't have a lot of time to dedicate to teaching their kids. Many rely on caregivers or siblings to watch their kids during the day.

I'm thinking that I want to do single subject days for distance learning for my kinder.

So it would look like this:

Monday: Reading: live and recorded lessons. Practice work relevant to topic. Small groups and conferencing with individual students. Online apps (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Tuesday: Math: Live and recorded lessons. practice work. Small groups and conferencing with individual students (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Wednesday: Phonics: Live and recorded lessons. practice work. Small groups and conferencing with individual students (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Thursday: Writing: Live and recorded lessons. practice work. Small groups and conferencing with individual students (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Friday: Social studies/science/social emotional learning. Related activity. Community building (show and tell, scavenger hunt, etc)

Benefits:
- A LOT easier for parents to keep track of and access resources (printer, etc).
- Less potential for communication issues due to overwhelming activity (5 subjects, live lessons, activities, etc just seems like a lot)
- One (or more?) lesson that can be watched later.
- No need for parents to have students watch multiple lessons and keep track of days and times, especially if they have multiple children
- Easier to assign work for particular students (can sort activities into difficult level groups)
- More time for small groups and individual conferencing which will be critical for K.

Drawbacks/things I need to solve:
- Would this follow district guidelines on subject minutes?
- Would students retain information as well? How could I make sure they don't forget week by week? (online apps as 'after school' practice are my idea to mitigate this, as well as youtube channels)
- How would pacing work? Would I put lessons together, do mini lessons, etc, to make sure I stay on track?

What are your thoughts on this? Good, bad, solvable? In your opinion, would an admin be likely to approve this?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 07-29-2020, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Full disclosure, I am a HS teacher so keep that in mind.

I would have a few concerns with the 1 subject per day. If a student doesn't log in on Monday, and doesn't make it up, then they won't do reading for two weeks.

I don't think it's more of a problem to keep track of multiple subjects in a day. Maybe just have one document with all the links. SlideMania has cute, free Google Slides weekly templates.

Other advantages to all subjects every day are that it would make more sense to parents, perhaps. If grandma does Mondays, sibling does Tuesdays, and mom does Wednesdays, mom may have the impression that all they do are phonics. And if you go back to in-person, it may be easier if students are used to all subjects in one day.

The other thing you mentioned that jumped out was parents needing to print. That would not work for my families. I doubt most have printers or enough ink to regularly print. I would try to make the copies for the parents and mail them or have available for pick up.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-29-2020, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know that this 2 day a week would work. Expecting littles to focus on one subject all day is tough. If I don't like reading I'm going to dress that day.

I don't know how much time you ate supposed to be providing for your students, but I would think an hour of live math & reading would be important to do daily.

I would not be happy as a parent if my kid was only getting reading lessons once a week.

An alternate might be live every other day for math & reading with the videos on the non live day.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Here's possibly a better look
Old 07-29-2020, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Monday: Reading

8:00-8:30: Live/recorded video of daily calendar/SEL

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded guided read aloud

9:00 - 10:00: Accompanying activities + extension activities

10:00 - 11:00: Computer work on suggested app (teach your monster to read, Moby max, starfall, etc)

11:00 - 3:00: Small groups and individual conferencing to reinforce lesson. Students are working independently with online apps or extension activities during this time. For example, read aloud websites, games like starfall, extension activities that havenít been completed, etc

Afterschool practice ideas:

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, alphablocks, etc
Reading with parents
Apps like Moby max or star fall
Sight word practice

Tuesday: MATH

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded lesson on math topic

9:00-10:00: accompanying math activity. Ex. Count and collect ten objects from your house. Take a picture on seesaw. + extensive activities

10:00-11:00: Computer work on suggested app (teach your monster to read, Moby max, starfall, etc)

11:00-3:00: Small groups and individual conferencing to reinforce lesson. Students are working independently with online apps or extension activities during this time. For example, read aloud websites, games like starfall, extension activities that havenít been completed, etc

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, numberblocks, etc
Reading with parents

Wednesday: Phonics

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded Open Court lesson

9:00-10:00 Open Court independent activity + extensive activities

10:00-11:00: Computer work on suggested app (teach your monster to read, Moby max, starfall, etc)

11:00-3:00: Small groups and individual conferencing to reinforce lesson. Students are working independently with online apps or extension activities during this time. For example, read aloud websites, games like starfall, extension activities that havenít been completed, etc

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, numberblocks, alphablocks, etc
Reading with parents

Thursday: Writing/Reading/Phonics

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded video of daily lesson in writing with reading and phonics incorporated. (more phonics and reading based beginning of year)

9:00-10:00: Writing, reading, phonics lesson activities + extension activities

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, numberblocks, alphablocks, etc
Journaling/drawing

Friday: Social Studies, Science, Review

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded Social Studies or Science lesson

9:00-9:30: Social studies/Science activity + extension activities

9:30-3:00: WEEKLY REVIEW conferences with individual students or small groups. These groups can target areas of need for individual groups like math, phonics, reading, etc.

hikinghiker

More info
Old 07-29-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

- Printing wouldn't be necessary, but it could be an option. Most likely activities would have to be digital through apps like seesaw

- We would give this schedule out to parents so they'd be aware of each days lessons. We would do live videos every day and record them too since both parents work for the majority of our families.

Great feedback that I'm adding to my list to bring up with grade level!

My main concern with doing 5 subjects a day is that it would leave almost no time for small groups or individual conferences. I think this will be essential for K since they won't be able to focus during a live lesson. They have a hard enough time in person that I just know whole group won't be as effective as individual conferences and 3 person small groups. With the schedule above, I could meet with every single student individually or in a group size of 3 daily.

tyrex

Old 07-29-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you do follow this schedule, I would integrate the science and SS into reading and writing as much as possible, and I would not teach science and SS as separate lessons. I'd use that time to focus on the other subjects. That is what my child's k-8 school is doing in the younger grades.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-30-2020, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you have the flexibility to do one subject a day and think you can make it work there is no harm in trying.

It wouldnít fly here. Our online portion has to follow the face to face model.

As far as communication...
Have you tried using ClassDojo?
My school is similar in make up to yours and Dojo is extremely helpful because it translates for the parents directly in the app.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-30-2020, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I nitpicked over on the kinder board.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think the other feedback you've gotten is good. Something like this wouldn't be allowed here, so if you are going to move forward with this I'd get approval before putting a ton more thought and effort into it.

As far as the small groups, are you sure your students would actually log on and participate in them? It sounds like we may work with similar populations. Our district admin is wanting us to do things like live small groups this time around. I totally understand how it's better instruction, but I honestly think very few of our kids will participate. They're not in a position where there is a stay at home parent or babysitter/nanny to have the schedule organized and make sure they log into zoom at the appropriate times for their small groups.

Last spring the grant program we have for tutoring allowed us to offer services online via zoom. I had nothing else to do during stay at home anyway and was hoping to sign up a ton of kids so I could make more money. I offered afternoon and evening hours to work around parent work schedules. I only got three kids to sign up, and of those only 2 actually logged on .
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote