Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Movie Disappointment

>

ICrazyTeach

Movie Disappointment
Old 07-30-2020, 05:47 PM

I know better. I know they ruin stories when they make books into movies. Usually the story is simplified and you lose the details that add depth to characters. They really messed this one up, though. They changed so much about the relationships and the heart of the story. They could easily have done so much better. It's Safe Haven, by the way.

One book that was perfectly made into a movie was Mystic River. When I first heard 2 of the lead actors I was excited and thought the casting perfectly matched characters from my mind. Then I realized they had them in the opposite role than I thought and I was so mad

What movies do you think botched stories? Which ones were close to perfect?

ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 PM

The best ones, imo, are classics rather than more contemporary books. Loved the most recent version of Emma. Love the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice.

I recently rewatched The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. I liked it better this time. I think because the first time I was comparing it to the book, and they changed some plot points and characters. This time, since the book wasn't as fresh in my mind, I appreciated the movie on its own.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Safe Haven
Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 PM

The movie was light and just okay. The book, like you mentioned, was so much better and deeper into the characters.

The only book that I can think of where the movie is equally as good as is, ďBecause of Winn-Dixie.Ē
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Unbroken
Old 07-30-2020, 05:59 PM

In the movie Unbroken they cut out the ending.

I thought the book ending brought the story full circle about he could survive and live a full life.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 07-30-2020, 06:01 PM

The Green Mile, I loved both book and movie.
In my book club we read The Mountain Between Us which I enjoyed very much. I detested the movie!

ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-30-2020, 06:04 PM

I think I'm always disappointed with movie versions. At least when they make a tv series there's more room to delve into the original story. It's one thing when they change or omit details, and a whole different thing when they change the essence of the characters.

I've always loved Gone With the Wind, but I saw the movie first. Lately I've found some tv series that I liked better than the book. Handmaid's Tale (like the book, but think the series is excellent), Little Fires Everywhere, and You come to mind. I also liked Game of Thrones (until the horrible ending) but could never get into the books. And I love the Outlander series and books equally, although I have to not compare them to enjoy the series to it's fullest.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-30-2020, 06:05 PM

Overall, I liked the movie version of The Witches. But I thought the way the movie changed the ending was a bit of a copout.

O/T but now that most of Roald Dahl's other books have been made into movies, I wonder if they'd ever do a remake of it. I'd totally want to see it, if they did.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Movies
Old 07-30-2020, 06:06 PM

The movie Cold Mountain was far better than the book, though the cast wasnít quite right.

I havenít seen an adaption of Jane Eyre that I didnít love.

I think The Witcher series on Netflix followed the book that I read (I didnít read them all) but the cast and dialogue seemed off. I was pretty disappointed.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 07-30-2020, 06:15 PM

I find movies made from books are better when I haven't recently read the book. I also like the movie better (not better than the book, "better" in that I don't hate it) when I read the book after seeing the movie.

Movies that have worked:
The Princess Bride I read the book after I saw the movie though and how can you say anything bad about The Princess Bride?!

Chocolat Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp were perfectly cast.

To Kill A Mockingbird Great book, great movie.

Movies that made me annoyed:

Divergent Series. The actor who played one of the main characters who was supposed to be 16 was at least 35--so miscast!

A Wrinkle in Time. I LOVED the book. I HATED the movie.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 PM

I have found that I do not enjoy the book if I have already seen the movie so I try to avoid this if possible. Many times I have to tell my friends no I canít go with you to see that movie. I havenít read the the book yet. They just donít get it.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

book/movies
Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 AM

I think the best book/ movies have been the Harry Potter series. They are awfully good!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Books and Movies
Old 07-31-2020, 07:34 AM

I have weird tastes in movies and books, so there is probably some disagreement with some of mine. As I think back to books into movies that I've read and seen, I also have a hard time because for many it has been so long since I've read the book and/or seen the movie.

Just some thoughts:

*I absolutely LOVED the movie and book of To Kill Mockingbird. Yes, in the movie, some things were taken out, but they were both very well done, in my opinion!

*I enjoyed both the movie and book of Wonder.

*I thought My Sister's Keeper was a way better book than a movie. It's been a very long time since I read the book or seen the movie, but if I remember correctly, they really changed the ending!

*I didn't have a problem with the movie "The Art of Racing in the Rain", although it was very different than the book in some respects.

*I actually had a hard time getting into the book Holes, but I LOVED the movie! I think that was one where the movie was actually better than the book, in my opinion!

*Flowers for Algernon was amazing book, but I thought the movie sucked.

*It's been so long so I read the book or watched the movies, that I don't remember if one was better than the other, but I think A Walk To Remember was well done both as a book and a movie. Same with A Fault in our Stars.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 08-01-2020, 07:05 AM

The Stanley Kubrick film The Shining always comes to mind when ur comes to movie adaptations. Although a great film, itís SO different from the book!

A truly terrible film adaptation for me was Ready, Player One. I so thoroughly enjoyed the book and the film made way too many changes and wrecked everything for me.

I LOVED Holes - just like Teacherbee! Perfect adaptation in my opinion! And though quite different from the book, I adore In Her Shoes!
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote