Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Took the going gray plunge

>

Irish

Took the going gray plunge
Old 07-31-2020, 03:49 AM

I had a hair appointment yesterday for a cut and color. Iíve been toying with the idea of a short hair cut plus letting my hair go gray. My hairdresser who is very honest was on board. So she gave me a very short cut plus no color....No hair dryer and no flat iron. I was out of there in 10 minutes! My DH was shocked but itís my hair he can just deal with it. My hair was dyed blond and the new growth seems white so weíll see.

Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Grey hair
Old 07-31-2020, 03:53 AM

Embracing the grey about a year ago was the best decision I've ever made. Congrats on the hair change! The awesome thing is, if you decide you don't like it, you can always color it again and grow it back out.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 07-31-2020, 04:22 AM

I'm loving going gray. I started with the quarantine but had pondered it for several years. I didn't get a pixie but I do have my hair short. It's been five months and I think I have two maybe three more haircuts before I'm completely gray. It's been fun to watch it change. The brown dye has faded and my hair is different shades of silver and iron and light brown and dark blonde, but even my hairdresser is astonished at how good it looks in transition. A little bit like a calico cat although not quite so vibrant! I don't want to go back, but you really can't tell what the gray will finally look like until you've finished the transition. It's been an entertainment and adventure during a hard time.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Hair
Old 07-31-2020, 04:46 AM

I did the same a couple of years ago and will never go back. So easy and I love it!
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 AM

I stopped coloring about 2 years ago and I don't regret it at all. Every once in a while I see myself and feel older, but then realize that is a feeling and I can control it.

The one thing I have noticed is the difference in texture. I don't have as much body without coloring as I had. My hair seems a little finer. Of course, the 5% humidity in my area doesn't help matters at all. I like my hair so much better with some humidity in the air! Maybe I should carry a mister around my neck.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-31-2020, 06:13 AM

I stopped coloring almost 2 years ago. I had shoulder length hair at that time. About a year ago, I had my hair cut pretty short to get rid of a lot of the colored part. Now my last haircut was in January due to the pandemic, so I guess I'm growing it out now! But I am very happy to let the grey grow out, and I like the different colors as it is transitioning.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Me too!
Old 07-31-2020, 07:11 AM

I made the switch almost 2 years ago and I'm glad I did. I had been coloring my hair for nearly 2 decades and I was tired of the time and money it took from my budget. I'll be honest, it was ok in the beginning. My hubby was unsure but I felt like you. A few months later when it was more obvious it was tougher. One item that helped was using a blue or purple shampoo to take the brassiness out of my old colored blonde hair. It also brightened up my grey coming in. Of coarse, it looks like you may have cut yours short whereas I kept my long. Now I'm almost completely my own color. I love how healthy it is and I have many facets of color rather than a flat, manufactured color.
Riding4Him is online now   Reply With Quote

MaggieD

Iím staying the course
Old 07-31-2020, 07:36 AM

too. I havenít had my hair coloured since early March. My roots are white and silver and the dyed hair has faded into a few shades of brown. A calico cat is an apt comparison! Iím actually enjoying the transformation and havenít been too self conscious. Schools will be opening in my province in September so I have to look presentable. Iíll either get a short pixie cut or style it in a pony tail for a few more months.
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote

edfan

Inspired
Old 07-31-2020, 07:44 AM

I thought I would color my hair for a very long time but you all are making me reconsider. I think Iíll set a date for a few years in the future when I make a transition of another kind (leaving very local public office). Something to look forward to! Thanks
edfan is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I had been
Old 07-31-2020, 08:15 AM

dyeing my hair blond for a number of years. When I realized my roots were more on the white side, I did the same as you and cut it short to ease the process of growing it out. I've been doing it for about 3 1/2 years now. I haven't felt brave enough for a haircut yet. I need one!!

letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Me, too
Old 07-31-2020, 11:23 AM

I started growing mine out 5 years ago. After a short cut and a little magic from my hairdresser, I was all gray. The whole thing took a year. The funny thing, I was not that gray! Just around the temples and the rest is salt and pepper with more pepper. My father turned gray the same way. I am so glad I don't have to deal with that color mess every 3 weeks! It's fun to see how your hair is supposed to look.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 07-31-2020, 11:39 AM

Great decision.

I had enough grays in my mid-30s that I started coloring (always at a salon) then. Two years ago, I was ready to just go gray. My stylist was a jewel about it - she worked with me to blend the color with the gray and I never had a line of any sort.

Now, haircuts are fast and quick (and cost less since no color involved) but I really MISS the long talks with my stylist.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM

I had started coloring about 10 years ago bc my grey was coming in very patchy and it looked horrible. Then about a year ago, I asked my stylist to do a "roots check" for me and it was coming it much more evenly. I got it cut as short as I could handle, then got it cut down short the next time or two. Now the colored part is all out- thank goodness my hair grows CRAZY fast!
My gray is a really muted kind of grey, like some of the rag wool sweaters I've seen, in that it's blending in with my light brown. I'm OK with it. If I'm ever not OK with it, I can always color it again.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote