Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Fighting over Chlorox wipes

>

musiclover

Fighting over Chlorox wipes
Old 08-01-2020, 04:28 AM

In my county in Florida teachers returned to work this week. Social media is now flooded with teachers asking for wipes, and other teachers saying that they cannot accept wipes. Apparently some schools have banned outside donations of cleaning items.

Along with this, some teachers are saying the county will supply/has supplied all their cleaning needs and others are stating that they have no cleaning supplies at all.

PTSOs have begun fundraisers for cleaning supplies and other school needs. Some teachers have reportedly started Go Fund Me accounts to get what they need.

I am so glad I'm retired.

musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

What a cluster
Old 08-01-2020, 04:42 AM

When I began teaching back in the day, I was shocked when we were required to add cleaning items for our students to supply. Now I cannot buy Chlorox wipes even on the black market. I have visions of classrooms all across the US with mountains of wipes stashed away.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-01-2020, 05:33 AM

I refuse to buy any cleaning supplies for my classroom this year. If the district wants the room cleaned, they must supply it. I cannot get Lysol spray or cleaner. I recently was able to get Clorox wipes at Target. Iím not wasting it on school. I plan on socially distancing and wearing a mask. Iím tired of supplying my classroom of anything on my own dime.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 08-01-2020, 06:07 AM

Iím with mommy9298, Iím not buying anything this year.

But I also havenít been buying things for my classroom for about four years now.

Last spring we were told we couldnít use anything but district cleaning supplies. Apparently the stuff they use could interact badly with other cleaners.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 08-01-2020, 06:26 AM

Since Florida is a hot spot, in the top 3, we feel it necessary to be prepared, in case the school isn't or can't. Since there are so many schools in Florida trying to get PPE, everything is on back order, or unavailable.

I would have normally refused- but not this year, since we have to be open, I am asking for safety supplies.

Musiclover, we had a parent begin a fb group for teachers to post their amazon wish lists so hopefully businesses can help out.

FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-01-2020, 06:55 AM

We are being supplied with sanitation tubs with our supplies. I know there is a spray bottle of disinfectant per the p. I wonder if they will give us paper towels or if we will be using those brown, non absortant things they stock in the classrooms by the sinks... So, lets squirt the germs, then wipe them around the desk and leave them there.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-01-2020, 07:33 AM

I brought all my cleaning supplies from work home with me. (Iíd bought them all myself.)
  • Things disappear over the summer often.
  • Not going to be accused of having ďwrongĒ supplies and causing issues.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 08-01-2020, 07:54 AM

I too am tired of buying stuff for my classroom. I am on the look out for wipes and Lysol spray. I am only going to use it on my personal stuff and teaching area. It probably won't help much but I feel if our governor wants us back in school she needs to find the supplies for our school to use. Wipes and Purell are on our school supply list but I am sure parents will not be able to find any either. We are not using lockers this year so the kids will carry their backpacks to each class. We are suggesting they keep their own hand sanitizer in their bags. I don't fully trust our janitors to clean good each night either.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Runnergirl04

Havenít seen wipes in months
Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 AM

I too am in Florida, but the south will be virtual until at least the end of September.

However, I havenít seen wipes in months. It is impossible to find along with Lysol spray.
Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Jeez, I am so glad I am retired.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:49 AM

I would die if I had to have the smell of clorox or pinesol or lysol around me every day. Those smells make me nauseous and very irritable.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

ABC

Lysol Spray-Walgreens
Old 08-01-2020, 03:26 PM

Itís been almost impossible to find Lysol spray, but I did get some at Walgreens. I know itís pricier, but they are the only ones here who have been getting a few cans in and have their own store brand too. I never thought Iíd be on the hunt for Lysol spray!
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 08-02-2020, 06:34 AM

I have gotten Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer for my classroom. Yes, my school is providing it. I just worry that the school will run out of wipes and sanitizer. I'd rather be prepared and have stuff on hand for my own health and safety. If I don't use it at school, I can use it at home.
AspenRed is offline   Reply With Quote