Help

The VENT

Fully Back At School Worries

>

teacher0729

Fully Back At School Worries
Old 08-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're going back to school with full class sizes on a normal schedule. Masks are required for K-5 when they can't social distance (which I assume is going to be basically all the time since desks won't fit 6 feet apart or at least I hope it will end up being all the time in reality). I'm upset that masks aren't required all the time and that face shields will also count as masks when they aren't as effective at stopping the spread of germs. Our admin even suggested that we wear face shields without masks so the kids can see our faces. I just feel like no one thinks this is serious or is afraid of getting Covid. All the big districts in our state are starting virtual but our school is prioritizing face-to-face instruction. I'm just going to be paranoid of getting sick and I'm not going to be able to be the teacher I want to be. I'm afraid colleagues/ admin are going to judge me or think I'm not doing a good job for wanting to actually keep a 6 foot distance from the kids. I wish we would just be virtual or at least try a hybrid model.

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Which state?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In which state do you teach?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Wi
Old 08-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

WI... Governor just issued mask mandate while indoors for anyone age 5+ which helps a little with my worries but not much.
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-02-2020, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Even with a state issued mask order for 2 plus in CA when schools resume in person K-2 kids arenít required to wear masks😒
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-02-2020, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sadly, I think that we will be finding out that children can spread/get this virus just as easily as an adult. Most students were in quaranteen so we really haven't experienced a large group children together as they are in school.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

I am so sorry
Old 08-02-2020, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

These schools going back without precautions.....will find themselves quickly without students in class .

The fear that runs through a parent’s heart when you get an email that says: “We have been notified that a close family member of a student in your child’s class has tested positive for Covid-19.....”

That’s the letter I got last week from my daughter’s summer school class. (They have all been masked, classes cap at 10, and they sit six feet apart). Now our whole family is getting tested as a precaution. Even though they emailed only our class — word spreads fast and more than half of the kids in the program did not show up the next day.

When it shows up at your school (and I hope it’s not you that tests positive) people change their minds about safety fast.

Last edited by Gogogo; 08-02-2020 at 08:17 PM..
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

Iím worried, too!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are starting in person, normal class sizes next week. I managed to get desks spread out to about 3 feet between chairs, but not 3 feet between the desks themselves. If I go further apart there will be kids who canít see the smart board. Ugh!
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-03-2020, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm in Wisconsin too, but I work at one of the bigger districts. We are all virtual until November. Honestly, I give a lot of credit to our union. They just flat out said no to going back. And the teachers in my district would have refused, if necessary. Our union is very strong.

I have many friends and family who work in the smaller districts, and all of them are being forced to go back fully or in hybrid models. They are all scared. I'm scared for them.

I think a PP was right -- once the kids start testing positive for this, admin will change their mind pretty fast. I think all it will take is one really sick kid or teacher. Just praying that it's not you, or anyone I know!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I HATE wearing my mask, but I wouldn't be okay with going back if they weren't required. The science is very clear that they make a huge difference. My district is requiring them all of the time except for when eating lunch for 100% of students and staff. If someone claims they can't wear one then their only choice is online learning.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote