Help

ARCHIVE

Word Wall

>

JustMe

Word Wall
Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to figure out how to put up a word wall in my room. I originally wanted to put all 26 letters up around the room and add the words in alphabetical order. I can't seem to find enough room to do that in places where each student will be able to see them.

I saw something today that was a twist on the traditional word wall and was hoping to get an opinion from you 5th grade pros...

I could take my cabinets (there are 4 pair that can be seen by all students) and put the following labels - 1 per cabinet pair:

Nouns
Verbs
Adjectives
Adverbs

And then add the words, regardless of beginning letter to the wall. I thought it was a pretty neat idea. I would have to of course insure they understood the parts of speech.

Thanks!

JustMe is offline   Reply With Quote

txfrog

Word wall--help, also
Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too, have not had success with my Word Wall. I can't seem to utilize it like it should. I'm going to give this a try. I would also like to hear from other teachers as to how this will work/or how yours worked.
txfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Bulldogmom

Word Wall
Old 08-03-2008, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a traditional word wall last year and hardly used it. I like your ideal of having nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. I think I will try that this year. My kids every year have trouble with these parts of speech. Thanks for a great ideal!!!
Bulldogmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. C

Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One idea for a word wall -- put chart paper up for each subject. Then, as new vocabulary is introduced in each subject, attach it to that chart paper (or write it if the paper is laminated). Then take down (or erase) the words after the end of the quarter or unit to get ready for new words.
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote

rocket1

Word Wall
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At my school the students have cubbies in the back of the room. Above them is a section of the wall that is painted a different color than the rest of the room. There is a border around the area which separates each section by subject. Then as the words are introduced in the subject they are placed on the wall.

Of course, this is my first year teaching and this may be a flop. We'll see.

rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigger68

word wall
Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have a wonderful new principal that wants word walls, but she does not want the traditional a-z word wall because we are a 4-5 campus and she wants to instill higher level thinking skills. I teach math and science and was wondering if anybody has suggestions on what I should do. She gave us a research assignment, so I am researching at 12:30 a.m. instead of sleeping :-(
Thanks for any of your help! I am finding so many cool ideas here!
Tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote