Help

ARCHIVE

Music in my classroom

>

Bulldogmom

Music in my classroom
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for CD's to play throughout the day in my classroom. I really think that instrumental would be the best, but I was just curious what all you use. Should I get popular artist, classical, country?????

Bulldogmom is offline   Reply With Quote

A Reader

CDs I play
Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have played many different CDs in my room. Most of them are instrumental. Last year's group loved the Native American CDs I have. I also played Enya, Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas (at Christmas time). I found a used 10 CD Box at Independent Records for $15. It has Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss, Chopin, etc. I think it depends on what you like/are confortable with.
I kept the music low and if the class got too loud I would turn it off. They would get quiet very quickly so I would turn the music back on. If it bothered other students I would turn it off and say we needed to have it quiet for that time so the students who needed the music off didn't feel bad. No one complained.
A Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

babyruth

Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the idea. Maybe a cute song during transitioning from one class to another. Instrumental during journaling, quiet work time. I like to ask about this the first few days ~ a survey with other items about school. If anyone says no to music during work time, I keep it to just transitioning or end of the day clean up time.
babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

sportwinds

wet blanket
Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry to add this negative response, but my college senior thesis was on background noise. Students who studied with noise (tv etc) had more trouble focusing in a quiet classroom. Students who studied in quiet, had lower scores when a test was given with background music. The generalization becomes: if testing situations are going to be quiet, then the classroom should always be quiet. The lack of noise during something like a state test could cause attention issues for students.
I shared my findings with the students, and offered advice to them: their study situation should mirror the school environment. Since they don't have control over the classroom lack of noise for tests, they should study in quiet at home.
I went back 6 months after conclusion of my research to talk to the kids. Three students thanked me for helping: they changed to quiet study environments at home and it made a difference in their classroom success.

Just my two wet-blanket cents!
sportwinds is offline   Reply With Quote

babyruth

Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Interesting and definitely something to think about ~ Well I can say my classroom isn't always absolutely quiet because my school is open (no walls)

babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

jedgar

depends on kids
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I play Enya, Irish, and other instrumental very softly throughout the entire day. It provides a very relaxing environment. In fact, duirng test time, despite how soft it was played, it helped drown out outside noise for all students.

I think if you notice it is a distraction you can always make changes.
jedgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Meri/4th/MA

Old 08-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of my favorite CDs to play is The Mozart Effect. I also play Baby Mozart quite freqently! I use music in the morning as the students are settling into their morning routine and throughout the day. I find that it is calming and really sets the mode for learning. If a student is distracted, he/she can just turn it off.
Meri/4th/MA is offline   Reply With Quote

kidzone

music
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The music I use depends on the situation. If the kids are working on projects I often let them listen to their iPod play list. The play list is created after I ask my students to give me a list of three songs they'd like to listen to at school. The songs have to be appropriate for all children. I then preview the songs, download some of them from iTunes, and transfer them to my iPod. I have a stereo that I plug into at school when it's time to play the songs.

I've also used seasonal music, classical, classic rock, etc.

If you don't like those ideas, there are a lot of great learning songs on iTunes. (Water Cycle Boogie, Harriet Tubman, Freedom Rocks, Dem Bones, etc.
kidzone is offline   Reply With Quote