Help

Social Studies

5th Grade Social Studies

>

Bulldogmom

5th Grade Social Studies
Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 5th Grade Social Studies for my 4th year. The past years I have always began with learning the 50 States and capitals. However, this year I am considering learning the pledge (what all of the words mean that they say daily) and some of the American symbols.
I was just curious at what you all begin the year with. I think I am ready for a change!!!!!

Bulldogmom is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiesmom

beginning of the year
Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually do a quick review of continents, hemispheres, oceans, etc. In Ohio 5th graders take the state test and are responsible for all SS from grades 3,4,and 5. I then move into landforms and regions. I usually do states and capitals right after Christmas when I talk about the colonies. Teaching the meaning of the pledge is a good idea. They say it every day and have no idea what they are saying.
maggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

lthompson

5th Grade
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have test-driven standards that you have to follow? In Kentucky our curriculum is driven by our Core Content, so we don't have a lot of options. I'll begin by teaching the basics that our other topics will draw on....basically landforms, regions, and map skills. It used to be that we could spend more time on the more interesting topics (such as Native American cultures), but now we have to insure that all of our standards are covered before the big TEST. Do you have similar issues in your state?
lthompson is offline   Reply With Quote