Help

ARCHIVE

5th Grade Social Studies

>

Bulldogmom

5th Grade Social Studies
Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 5th Grade Social Studies for my 4th year. The past years I have always began with learning the 50 States and capitals. However, this year I am considering learning the pledge (what all of the words mean that they say daily) and some of the American symbols.
I was just curious at what you all begin the year with. I think I am ready for a change!!!!!

Bulldogmom is offline   Reply With Quote

shuntyswife

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have to start with exploration.

I like the idea of learning the pledge though. I did a mini pledge lesson for a few days last year using Bloom's. The first day we wrote the pledge. The next day we wrote it in our own words, then compared it to the Boy Scout's oath. We did a few more things I can't remember. I think it is on my computer at work.
shuntyswife is offline   Reply With Quote

BhamTeacher5

Interesting...
Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have specific state and district content expectations and curriculum we have to follow, so we don't have much wiggle room with "what" we teach. If it helps our SS curriculum starts with geography...
BhamTeacher5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sketter

E Pluribus Unum
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My text starts with this. You could do a unit on how out of many cultures and ideas, we are one country. Our flag ties us together. Then talk about the pledge. And it could lead you into States and Capitals- how states belong to one country and have laws they must follow, but they also have independence in making laws specific to their own state. Like driving age, speed limits- they could search and create venn diagrams between two states as to laws or other things that are alike or different. This way you are still starting with the same unit, but approaching it differently.

I hear what you are saying about wanting a change. This is my 5th in 5th. Sometimes you want to change things up so you feel passionate about it.
Sketter is offline   Reply With Quote