Help

First Grade

How do you teach handwriting?

>

futureflstar

How do you teach handwriting?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At the end of last year I asked that we "request" or rather "wish for" the Evan Moore daily handwriting practice books. I talked to my team lead today and apparently they were removed from our list because we apparently don't "teach" handwriting. I taught K at the end of the year before last and we had the ZB books but they were rarely used and there was no "handwriting" teaching time.
I am trying to find a way to add it to my day. I really wanted the Evan Moore books I'm tempted to by the teacher version to make copies for my class. sigh.
Anyone have any ideas?

futureflstar is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

handwriting
Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you do the handwriting pages as morning work?
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

Nino02

Debbie Diller
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The books I've read about centers suggest having "handwriting" as a center. You could have an overhead projector with handwriting pages that can be easily erased and fun! :-)
Nino02 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

are you meaning actual handwriting or do you mean printing?
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

labergeks

2nd Grade Teachers Thank Me
Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I Use a Trace, Copy, Write from Memory technique.

I think it is very important to develop proper letter stroke very early in first grade. Then I don't need to spend time through out the year on handwriting. Instead, we can concentrate on writing! I take one or two letters a day and teach letter stroke and formation. We are done in the first 20-26 days.

I fold a an 11 X 17 in thirds. I have the guide lines (solid and mid-dotted line) already drawn in on the paper. In the first third I draw the letter on each child's paper in blue crayon. I put a red crayon x on the starting point for each letter. In the middle third I simply put the starting point X. The last third is blank and is the place for the child to write the letter from memory.

Children use a multi sensory approach as they trace the crayon model with their finger to feel the crayon. They say the letter name each time they trace. Then they use their pencil to trace, all the while I circulate to ensure proper form. Then they copy the letter in the middle space. I check each child's letter. Last we fold our papers back so that all letters are hidden and only the blank space is showing. Children then write the letter from memory! I do a final check.

Sorry this post is so lengthy The results are worth it!

labergeks is offline   Reply With Quote

futureflstar

Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I mean for actually teaching handwriting skills.
labergek this sounds great. I may have to adjust it a bit and use regular handwriting paper to practice but I do like the overall model you described with showing them where to start(on the x) and having them trace with their fingers etc.
I did something semi similar as an intern I just find it is hard to find the time to fit it in.
I will have to look at my schedule and see where I can fit in a quick handwriting mini lesson. I know the pay off is worth it. We even talked about it today(the 4th and 5th grade teachers were basically like "oh so that's why the kids handwriting is so bad...it's never officially taught") so sad

I'm thinking if I can find a few minutes a day to teach letter formation and then add it as a weekly center I could have some really great handwriting!
futureflstar is offline   Reply With Quote

gaazed

Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That's kind of weird. Handwriting is an important skill. It needs to be taught. I teach it for 20 min., 2 days a week. I intro. a letter (ex. capital and lowercase A) and then do a page in the book each day. I use ZB. Each letter has 2 pages of practice. You could do the intro. of the letter together and then the children could practice through bellwork, homework, and/or learning center.
gaazed is offline   Reply With Quote

lovebug422

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We use handwriting without tears
lovebug422 is offline   Reply With Quote

summerbuddy

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We also use Handwriting Without Tears for students with OT issues. The music CD is insanely catchy and fun to sing with first graders. "Where do you start a letter? At the top!" I love it!
summerbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

cdorey13

in our reading series
Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our reading adoption has the handwriting component in it for the beginning of the school year. We introduce 1-2 letters a day and practice forming the letters correctly. But I will honestly say, after about the first month, we move on to dictation and that is how I watch them form their letters correctly, which then moves on to words and I spend a lot less time on their actual handwriting skills.

cdorey13 is offline   Reply With Quote