Help

First Grade

Meet The Teacher Ideas

>

futureflstar

Meet The Teacher Ideas
Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know some areas do things differently but maybe you guys can help me with ideas.
Our Meet the teacher is a very quick in and out 2 hour thing.
Students come and go on and off throughout that time with their parents to meet their teacher and order uniforms, sign up for pta and extended day, etc. It's very informal.
Last year I had just over half my kids show up.
I am the only one on my team who really sends a packet home and I'm debating doing it this year.
I want to do one with the ABC's of first grade in it and some other basic information.
I dont' want to go beyond that since I am doing FROg folders this year.
Do you think it would be better to just send home the ABC's during the first week or include them in the frog folder?
If I did that I woudl do just a short "about me" type sheet for parents and then send home a formal welcome letter on teh first day.
Thoughts and ideas?

futureflstar is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

meet and greet
Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like sending home as much as I can on the initial "meet and greet" night, since that might be the only time I see some of the parents. It gets very hectic when school actually starts and they don't go through back packs quite so well after the first week. It seems they information is better taken when the parents and kids are curious about what first grade will be.
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

fionafiona

Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

we have a similar night..I give each family a folder with a "peek at the week" which has the basic schedule for the first 2 weeks (specials, lunch time, etc). I also give a short one page letter/note with some of my general stuff like snack time and what they can bring, reading at home expectations-we do a calendar & expect 10 min per night-, school supply list and suggestion that they buy extras while they are cheap, a little background on me and my contact info (voicemail, email, class website, etc). I have students, or parent, indicate on a graph how they get home from school. I give the students a small goodie bag with activity pad, pencil and sucker. They look around classroom, find their desk & locker, etc.
fionafiona is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.gteacher

Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I only had four families show up for our meet the teacher night. I sent home one paper for the parents to fill out about their student. I figure those that did not come will get everything the first week of school. I still have to figure out my schedule and everything else...because it all changed within the past two days, kids start school on Monday. I will be busy the next couple of days.
ms.gteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jame1983

FROG folders?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What are FROG folders?

Jame1983 is offline   Reply With Quote