Help

First Grade

Bathroom Breaks

>

TDuck

Bathroom Breaks
Old 08-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year was my first year, and I had such trouble with bathroom breaks!! I felt like I had so many "accidents" last year; however, I had such a hard time trusting my students in the bathroom because so many of them would end of playing or roaming the halls around the school. Any advice??

TDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

bathrooms
Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand and sympathize,,, it is a huge issue in first. Especially at the beginning of the year. I give more leway (sp?) After the first few weeks, I normally give specific, (and make them repeat, instructions before we go to our room "This is your bathroom break... if you don't go now, you wont be able to go until recess" If they claim an emergency I give them the option of waiting till recess, or taking 5 minutes from their recess if it is true - ly an emergency, they can go... if not... they chose to wait. Its worked great
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher109

Bathroom Helpers
Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so happy you asked this question! I have the same problem and to make matters worse, the boys and girls bathrooms are at totally opposite ends of the building which makes group bathroom breaks a VERY long addition to our day!! One thing I did try that helped a little was to have older students come and take small groups of kids to the bathroom during 2 scheduled times dring the day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. This helped a bit with the playing around in the bathrooms and the hallways. Upper El teachers have always been very helpful in supplying the students. They use it in their classroom as a special reward! Give it a try!
teacher109 is offline   Reply With Quote

yankees21

Bathroom breaks
Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm lucky enough to have a bathroom in my classroom now. I have the students raise their hands with a particular signal and I nod to let them go, so that way it doesn't disrupt the lesson.

When the bathroom was down the hall, I did do a group bathroom before and after lunch. I've heard of teachers who have the students sign out in a book by the door. That way, you can see how often they've gone and talk about what's reasonable. (Once in the AM, Once the PM...once in a while more often, of course)

This is a tough one.... Once you realize who the ones are who are just trying to get out, ask them if they can hold it for just a few minutes. If they don't have to go, they forget...if they persist, I'd let them. If it really becomes an issue, I call the parent and express concern and suggest a trip to the pedetrician. I had a girl who had bad constipation.

When I've had a really chronic bathroomer, I've done something very special when I know that they're leaving for a get away. When they come back, they realize that they've missed out!
yankees21 is offline   Reply With Quote

mozza

It's so hard to know!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach them the bathroom signal on the first day (sign language for the letter 'T') and always let them go whenever they use it at the beginning of the year. The deal is, they have to use the signal silently and then wait for my nod so it doesn't interrupt the rest of the class.
After a month or so, I tell them that only one person can go at a time... but always let them go if their little face looks panicked! I find that the ones who are looking for a break tend to forget that they had to 'go' by the time someone else gets back.

When I taught grade 3 I had a bottle of hand sanitizer that they would put on their desks before they left for the bathroom. That way I knew who was missing and where they were. They always pumped some sanitizer on their hands when they got back. I don't do this in grade one because the alcohol seems so hard on their skin, so I found little traffic cones at the dollar store that they would put on their desk. But I miss the 'cleanliness' of the sanitizer.

mozza is offline   Reply With Quote

froggal

signal and pass
Old 08-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also teach my students a bathroom signal. They have to put up two fingers or a piece sign. If they have permission, then they lay the bathroom pass on their desk so I know that they are out. I only allow one boy and one girl out at a time.
froggal is offline   Reply With Quote