Help

First Grade

Flat Stanley

>

Prettysqueaky

Flat Stanley
Old 12-31-2010, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious has anyone participated in a Flat Stanley Project???

I was thinking about reading this book to my students and somehow finding a way to participate in the project.

http://flatstanley.com

Last edited by Prettysqueaky; 12-31-2010 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Added details and website.
Prettysqueaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Flat Stanley
Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did Flat Stanley a few years ago with my second graders. I found enough classrooms to host a Stanley from each one of my students but that didn't work out well because several classrooms didn't follow through. The kids really loved the project but I had quite a few students who were upset that their Stanley didn't get returned.

When my sister did it (when she was in third grade) they had the families provide an address to send their Stanley too. I know it worked for her but I can't say whether it worked for the rest of the class.

If I did it again, I might only choose one class to host one Flat Stanley. If you are looking for a class to host for you, I'd be willing to do so! I teach first grade in PA now.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

libragirl

Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done this for about 12 years with my classes. I tie in letter writing and teach our mapping unit while we wait for our Flat Stanleys to return. Go for it
libragirl is offline   Reply With Quote

formerexpat

I use it for Social Studies
Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our district we have to study 3 countries: Mexico, Germany and India. Late in the year I read the book over several days. Then the kids read books about the 3 countries. Next they pick one country, and they pretend that THEY are Stanley. They write about what they see and do in that country.

They make a flat "self" using a kit I bought from Lakeshore. Then I hang the writing and the flat selves on a bulletin board captioned "If I Were Flat." It makes a great end-of-year display!
formerexpat is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

Great idea!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is a wonderful idea! I have used the flat stanley with the upper class level - my first grade sends their flat stanley to the upper grade at the end of the year, to find out what second grade will be like. It works really well, and I'm assured everyone will get their Stanley back!

PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

kjsnyus1

Lovvvvvveeeeeeeeee Flat Stanley!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had Flat Stanley as a Social Studies Project many years ago in college (well like, 8 years ago) and we had to send it to someone who didn't live in our immediate area. Then it was due several weeks later, it was a lot of fun!!!

As a teacher, I used it in my Pre-Kindergarten class a few years ago. We had a door decorating contest for Literacy Night and it had to be about a book. I sent home a Flat Stanley as a project. Stanley had to follow the family around for one full week and be an "addition" to the family. They had to decorate him however they felt appropriate and then write about what Stanley did during the week. Although I gave some hints and a few suggestions, I left the creativity up to the families; they turned out amazing!!!
kjsnyus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

nolefan

Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A number of years ago I did a Flat Stanley project with families. Each child brought in 3 stamped envelopes addressed to family members who lived in other states or countries. In class each child made 3 Flat Stanley's and addressed three letters giving directions to the recipient. The recipient was asked to take Flat Stanley to at least one special landmark in his/her city and to take a picture. (Most families took lots more pictures!) A brief written description was also encouraged. The pictures and notes were then sent back to our school. The recipient was then asked to mail Flat Stanley and the directions to another family member elsewhere. Whoever had the Flat Stanley near "Tax Day" was asked to return him to the school. Whenever we received pictures/journals from a Flt Stanley, we plotted it on our map. By the end of the project the various Flat Stanleys had visited 30 states and 7 different countries. It was awesome!!!
nolefan is offline   Reply With Quote

suziesadiefra

First Grade Teacher-Conroe
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would like to share students with you! I have 19 students. I would like to share as a whole class and then try sharing in small groups or individuals.
suziesadiefra is offline   Reply With Quote

teachactually

Flat Stanley
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've done Flat Stanley with my class the past two years - we read the story and then every student brings in an envelope addressed to a friend or family member that lives in another state or country (if possible). They send a Flat Stanley and a letter explaining the project and asking the participant to send back pictures, small objects, etc. that tell something about where they live.

The students LOVE this project and can't wait to get their Stanley back. As soon as one comes in, we open it up and check out what came back. We've gotten back photos, scrapbooks, stickers, postcards, more than I ever would have imagined! We spend a little time learning about that area of the world, marking it on our class map, etc.

Our superintendent and her secretary even took Flat Stanley's on their family vacations this summer and created a PowerPoint of their trips that they'll share with our grade next week! It's an awesome project!
teachactually is offline   Reply With Quote